This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Repairman goes to your house, fixes your sink, fixes your toilet, fixes your....

#381Ch3wyPosted 3/26/2014 8:08:03 AM
It's not the dictionary that has issues. The flaw is within your interpretation of the words and your understanding of how words work in general.

They've been at it for a while now, they know a bit more about English than a 23 year old NEET, no offense.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#382Worknofun370Posted 3/26/2014 8:12:00 AM
Food for thought.

The punishment for theft is a slight slap on the wrist compared to the punishment for piracy.
#383Ch3wyPosted 3/26/2014 8:15:30 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
Food for thought.

The punishment for theft is a slight slap on the wrist compared to the punishment for piracy.

That really depends on the theft and nature of the piracy. I assure you grand larceny is going to be more severe than getting caught downloading a movie.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#384Worknofun370Posted 3/26/2014 8:26:07 AM(edited)
Ch3wy posted...
That really depends on the theft and nature of the piracy. I assure you grand larceny is going to be more severe than getting caught downloading a movie.

Well, since we're talking about piracy the theft comparison would be for stealing a game, movie, CD. Which is not going to be Grand Larceny.

That being said, Copyright Infringement, just like GL, is a felony. It's no joke.
#385DaedalusExPosted 3/26/2014 8:44:04 AM
Little_Tyranius posted...
Incorrect. Definition states that to steal you have to take something which does not belong to you. Even if the copies didn't belong to the owners, they also don't belong to you which makes this stealing.

In order for theft to be committed the property in question must have a rightful owner. This isn't debatable.

Except [copies do have owners.]

No, they don't. I suggest you read up on copyright law. If I go to the library and copy the pages of a Harry Potter book with a copy machine, does JK Rowling own that paper? No. Have I stolen the book? No. I made an unauthorized copy. Not theft.

Worknofun370 posted...
That being said, Copyright Infringement, just like GL, is a felony. It's no joke.

You're referring to criminal infringement of a copyright, which requires selling unauthorized copies or making unauthorized copies totaling more than $1,000 in retail value within a 180 day period. Neither of which apply to someone downloading a couple movies.
#386pitt12177Posted 3/26/2014 8:45:48 AM
Why must this topic persist? 380+ comments in a troll thread. This has to be a record.

Tyranius is sitting in his snuggie eating the turkey sandwich his mom made him and posting about alien conspiracies and this.
#387Worknofun370Posted 3/26/2014 8:51:47 AM(edited)
DaedalusEx posted...
You're referring to criminal infringement of a copyright, which requires selling unauthorized copies or making unauthorized copies totaling more than $1,000 in retail value within a 180 day period. Neither of which apply to someone downloading a couple movies.

Eh? http://itlaw.wikia.com/wiki/Copyright_infringement

I'm not seeing anything stipulating it must be for selling.

EDIT: Actually, I may have found that section.

EDITx2: Hmm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Copyright_Law_in_the_United_States#Legal_definition
#388Little_TyraniusPosted 3/26/2014 10:09:39 AM
It's not the dictionary that has issues. The flaw is within your interpretation of the words and your understanding of how words work in general.

They've been at it for a while now, they know a bit more about English than a 23 year old NEET, no offense.

My interpretation is as logic as it can be. Piracy fits stealing. It seems they don't know that much more about english than a 23 year old neet. I'm not even a neet since I'm studying right now.

Food for thought.

Getting caught for piracy is a lot harder to balance things out.

In order for theft to be committed the property in question must have a rightful owner. This isn't debatable.

Only in the wonky dictionary. Also, nowhere in the definition of stealing does it say that the property must have an owner.

If I go to the library and copy the pages of a Harry Potter book with a copy machine, does JK Rowling own that paper? No.

Neither do you.

Have I stolen the book? No.

You do however steal the copy you made, because it doesn't belong to you. Theft. [or stealing, whatever]
#389SmakkyofacePosted 3/26/2014 10:18:24 AM
This thread got off topic fast.

Anyway I think if a repairman fixed everything I'd offer him a drink and say thanks how much do I owe you?!
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 4770k @ 4ghz | 32GB DDR3 1866 (20GB RamDisk) | SLI Evga Gtx 670 FTW | Samsung 256GB PRO Raid 0
#390zergslayer69Posted 3/26/2014 10:34:37 AM
And then repairman says "no its ok no need to pay" and then you say "sure thing" and lead him out the door.
---
PSN - zergslayer69
Friend Code - 3909 8848 9513 | NID - Haddaway