This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I bought Final Fantasy VIII because it was on sale on Amazon...

#31ajxhPosted 3/25/2014 10:58:58 PM
I know it's been said already, but I like to talk.

Final Fantasies I-VII were all pretty much identical, with some refinements to the formula. Final Fantasy VIII overhauled much of that. What I think Squaresoft really wanted to do was switch up level grinding. The Junction system worked well for that, but it was also easy to abuse and a lot of people just ended up Draw grinding. I guess it was pretty divisive.

While I ultimately prefer VII (and IV, VI, X, and XII) over VIII, it's still a unique piece and a worthwhile playthrough, if only for Triple Triad. Haha.
#32CovenantPosted 3/26/2014 12:57:58 AM
Loserman15 posted...
If you have it on PC, Roses and Wine is an absolute must.

This.

The PC version's soundtrack should be classified as a war crime.
#33RequiemPosted 3/26/2014 2:20:16 AM
Personally, I hated the story of FF8 and "plot twists" / justification for the revelations.

In terms of gameplay... I disliked how the junction system discouraged the player from using magic (as it would make the characters weaker). And I can't be the only guy who really hated not being able to skip through the summoning spell "cinematic" sequence. I think the longer ones took over 2 minutes.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#34SlaynPosted 3/26/2014 3:19:49 AM
Requiem posted...
Personally, I hated the story of FF8 and "plot twists" / justification for the revelations.

In terms of gameplay... I disliked how the junction system discouraged the player from using magic (as it would make the characters weaker). And I can't be the only guy who really hated not being able to skip through the summoning spell "cinematic" sequence. I think the longer ones took over 2 minutes.

This is exactly why I hate it. The most... idiotic "plot twists" of all time. Even as a teenager when it came out, it was so terrible it made me face palm. And then I didn't like the draw/junction/triad deal.

Also I know someone above said they liked Squall. I thought he was absolutely terrible. Just hated everything about him. He is a jerk 90% of the game, and yet all the characters love him when in reality they would have all said "screw this guy" 3 hours in to the adventure.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.