This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is this a good gaming laptop?

#31FlyinTonitePosted 3/24/2014 10:54:49 PM
Slayn posted...
FlyinTonite posted...
Really don't see the appeal of gaming laptops. Upgrading them is a pain in the ass and sometimes next to impossible. Why not just spend the 1500 and get a kick-ass gaming pc instead?

Pretty sure for mobility? I mean I don't use gaming laptops either, but why is that so hard for people to understand?

If you are a pc gamer, you should want the best performance to price ratio which is skewed horrendously when you invest in a gaming laptop. Mobility is a moot point when you are overpaying for an inferior product.
---
Sony fanboys are the most annoying, Nintendo fanboys are the most ignorant and Microsoft fanboys are adorable because they think they're people.
#32ATARIJAWAPosted 3/24/2014 11:02:05 PM(edited)
FlyinTonite posted...
Slayn posted...
FlyinTonite posted...
Really don't see the appeal of gaming laptops. Upgrading them is a pain in the ass and sometimes next to impossible. Why not just spend the 1500 and get a kick-ass gaming pc instead?

Pretty sure for mobility? I mean I don't use gaming laptops either, but why is that so hard for people to understand?

If you are a pc gamer, you should want the best performance to price ratio which is skewed horrendously when you invest in a gaming laptop. Mobility is a moot point when you are overpaying for an inferior product.

Ok but I game at work and travel often for work. I just buy the most expensive one I can and write it off my taxes. What's wrong with that? There's nothing wrong with gaming laptops if you can afford a good one. How is it a moot point if it's the only option I have?
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 112
#33TimePharaohPosted 3/25/2014 12:39:11 AM
ATARIJAWA posted...
There's nothing wrong with gaming laptops

Other than the fact of them not existing.

"Hey guys I got a flying car, I can drive it off a cliff and it'll be in the air"
#34PharohofLaptopsPosted 3/25/2014 4:14:18 PM
>Good
>Gaming
>Laptop

So much things wrong with the OP.
#35staticxtreme5Posted 3/25/2014 6:16:16 PM
Seriously TC, if your going to spend $1500 on a gaming laptop, buy MSI or Asus. Do not buy Alienware. You will definitely be paying for less hardware.

Most Alienwares at that price won't even have a 1080p screen or an SSD. If you go with another brand it should be pretty easy to find those things with the same exact GPU (or maybe even better) than what the comparable Alienware has inside it. Not to mention Alienware having proprietary GPU drivers so you won't be able to just download the newest driver from Nvidia's website like you will want to do.
#36dioxxysPosted 3/25/2014 9:42:31 PM
But TC you want to play a bunch of games that are pretty easy to run...
#37ThunderPotatoPosted 3/25/2014 11:45:26 PM
I like my Lenovo. Just understand it isn't cost effective as buying a desktop, you're paying for portability at the cost of power.
---
Now Playing: Gundam vs. Gundam Next and Persona 3 Portable.
GameFAQs: Single greatest reason to support eugenics.
#38SlaynPosted 3/26/2014 2:24:08 AM
FlyinTonite posted...
Slayn posted...
FlyinTonite posted...

.... WTF are you talking about? No, PC gaming isn't about the best price to performance ratio. That is why we have $3,000 video cards. We spend whatever we want.

I seriously don't know what the problem with this board and laptops is. You can have laptops with similar performance to desktops. It is going to cost more money. That is a given. People, like the TC, have accepted that. You pay for the convenince of a laptop. Why does that make people so mad? It's either trolling or jealousy. So mad that someone wants to spend the extra cash for laptop gaming.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#39staticxtreme5Posted 3/26/2014 3:31:44 AM
TC: "Hey guys, I want to buy a good cellphone. What should I buy"?

PCH: "Don't buy a cellphone, they are expensive. Just buy a landline. Its much cheaper and you never have to worry about having signal".

TC: "Thanks for nothing PCH".

PCH: "Landline Master Race reporting in"!
#40PharohofLaptopsPosted 3/26/2014 3:55:37 AM
People are only suggesting that TC build a PC himself for gaming, rather than spending money on a product that doesn't exist.