This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is this a good gaming laptop?

#41staticxtreme5Posted 3/26/2014 7:08:35 AM(edited)
PharohofLaptops posted...
People are only suggesting that TC build a PC himself for gaming, rather than spending money on a product that doesn't exist.

I have a laptop that can play anything I throw at it outside of Crysis 3 and Metro LL on ultra settings with 30+ FPS in 1080p. I'm pretty sure its a gaming laptop, and not a figment of my imagination.

Edit: Also, if the product didn't exist how could one spend money on it?
#42SilentHawk29Posted 3/26/2014 8:58:26 AM
staticxtreme5 posted...
Seriously TC, if your going to spend $1500 on a gaming laptop, buy MSI or Asus. Do not buy Alienware. You will definitely be paying for less hardware.

Most Alienwares at that price won't even have a 1080p screen or an SSD. If you go with another brand it should be pretty easy to find those things with the same exact GPU (or maybe even better) than what the comparable Alienware has inside it. Not to mention Alienware having proprietary GPU drivers so you won't be able to just download the newest driver from Nvidia's website like you will want to do.

No. So much misinformation. For one, you're pretty much stuck at mid-range performance with ASUS. On top of that, unless they changed drastically since I owned a G73jh, the entire laptop has to be dismantled to get to the CPU and GPU for repasting (which I assure you they will have to be done even brand new as ASUS can't do a good job themselves).

As for MSI, they seem to be generally more expensive than a Clevo/Sager with equal performance.

Then there is Alienware which is not as overpriced as you're making them out to be. They are generally only a couple hundred, if that, more expensive than the other brands at equal performance. They also come with the best warranty available, including at-home repairs. Plus, they can use standard drivers, so I have no idea where you got that idea from.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#43staticxtreme5Posted 3/26/2014 10:48:03 AM
SilentHawk29 posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...
Seriously TC, if your going to spend $1500 on a gaming laptop, buy MSI or Asus. Do not buy Alienware. You will definitely be paying for less hardware.

Most Alienwares at that price won't even have a 1080p screen or an SSD. If you go with another brand it should be pretty easy to find those things with the same exact GPU (or maybe even better) than what the comparable Alienware has inside it. Not to mention Alienware having proprietary GPU drivers so you won't be able to just download the newest driver from Nvidia's website like you will want to do.

No. So much misinformation. For one, you're pretty much stuck at mid-range performance with ASUS. On top of that, unless they changed drastically since I owned a G73jh, the entire laptop has to be dismantled to get to the CPU and GPU for repasting (which I assure you they will have to be done even brand new as ASUS can't do a good job themselves).

As for MSI, they seem to be generally more expensive than a Clevo/Sager with equal performance.

Then there is Alienware which is not as overpriced as you're making them out to be. They are generally only a couple hundred, if that, more expensive than the other brands at equal performance. They also come with the best warranty available, including at-home repairs. Plus, they can use standard drivers, so I have no idea where you got that idea from.

Your funny. If you really think that Alienware is competitive at the $1500 price range you need to have your head checked. I'll grant that if your spending $2000+ then they start to become more competitive, but at the price range the TC and I are talking they are simply outclassed. You'd be hard pressed to find a 17" model for under $1500 with even a 1080p screen, much less a SDD or a decent GPU in it.

I will admit I could be wrong about the GPU drivers being proprietary since I don't own one. I have watched reviews of them and all the reviews claim you have to go through dell to get the drivers though because the alienware lighting is controlled by those drivers. It could have changed since the reviews were written, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I dare you to link me a decent Alienware at $1500 so I can put it to shame with a comparable model.
#44Fade2black001Posted 3/26/2014 10:56:27 AM(edited)
PharohofLaptops posted...
People are only suggesting that TC build a PC himself for gaming, rather than spending money on a product that doesn't exist.

Toilet paper doesn't know much. He loves to post useless BS all over this board. Just ignore him. Gaming laptop in fact do exist
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#45dementedlullabyPosted 3/26/2014 10:56:47 AM
staticxtreme5 posted...
TC: "Hey guys, I want to buy a good cellphone. What should I buy"?

PCH: "Don't buy a cellphone, they are expensive. Just buy a landline. Its much cheaper and you never have to worry about having signal".

TC: "Thanks for nothing PCH".

PCH: "Landline Master Race reporting in"!

Lol this amused me.
---
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#46SilentHawk29Posted 3/26/2014 12:08:02 PM
staticxtreme5 posted...
I dare you to link me a decent Alienware at $1500 so I can put it to shame with a comparable model.

http://www.xoticpc.com/alienware-860m-p-7048.html?wconfigure=yes

860m with a 17" 1080p screen for $1550.

Just curious, but did you even try to look up any of their laptops before coming to that conclusion, or are you still stuck in the dark ages along with everyone else on price/performance of Alienware laptops?

Now, I know you're going to ignore this last part of my post, just as you ignored it in my previous post. But I did not say that Alienware wasn't more expensive, I said they're about $200 more expensive to comparable models (a same specced MSI on Xoticpc is $1300 for example, ASUS $1350). I also said they have the best warranty in the industry for these laptops with at-home service. But go ahead, please ignore this paragraph to continue the argument.
---
#47JKatarnPosted 3/26/2014 1:29:57 PM
I hate to beat a dead horse, but is there any reason you need a laptop? I say this because you seem to be willing to spend $1500+ on a gaming laptop and for that money you could buy a smaller, cooler laptop that will be more than sufficient for most academic/office work as well as a more powerful gaming desktop. The problem with a gaming laptop is that what is good/great now becomes somewhat of a large, hot paperweight in a few years due to the limited upgrade options available.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#48Ch3wyPosted 3/26/2014 1:33:32 PM
staticxtreme5 posted...
TC: "Hey guys, I want to buy a good cellphone. What should I buy"?

PCH: "Don't buy a cellphone, they are expensive. Just buy a landline. Its much cheaper and you never have to worry about having signal".

TC: "Thanks for nothing PCH".

PCH: "Landline Master Race reporting in"!

I like this.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#49SilentHawk29Posted 3/26/2014 1:39:11 PM
What is limited about upgrading a laptop designed for performance? GPU, CPU, RAM, drives, it can all be upgraded short of putting a new motherboard in there.

Anyway, a lot of people travel for work or pleasure or whatnot and are not in the same location all the time. For example, I work offshore and bringing a desktop/monitor on the boats (which I transfer between at least biweekly most of the time), and then moving it to a ship for an operation, and then back to the boat after 18 hours just seems absurd. Or, I can easily throw my laptop in my backpack with the rest of my gear and carry that around.
---
#50staticxtreme5Posted 3/26/2014 2:05:21 PM
SilentHawk29 posted...
staticxtreme5 posted...

http://www.xoticpc.com/alienware-860m-p-7048.html?wconfigure=yes

860m with a 17" 1080p screen for $1550.

Just curious, but did you even try to look up any of their laptops before coming to that conclusion, or are you still stuck in the dark ages along with everyone else on price/performance of Alienware laptops?

Now, I know you're going to ignore this last part of my post, just as you ignored it in my previous post. But I did not say that Alienware wasn't more expensive, I said they're about $200 more expensive to comparable models (a same specced MSI on Xoticpc is $1300 for example, ASUS $1350). I also said they have the best warranty in the industry for these laptops with at-home service. But go ahead, please ignore this paragraph to continue the argument.

Don't you have to pay extra for any kind of extended warranty that you are highlighting? At any rate, if those extra benefits are worth it to you, then by all means go Alienware. If I was on a $1500 budget though, I would rather spend $1500 on the best tech I could get in a laptop. Not $1300 worth of tech, and $200 worth of warranties. $200 isn't a lot to some people, but it is to others.