This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft praises Valve, vows 'renewed focus' on PC games

#21Majoras_pantsPosted 3/24/2014 10:00:19 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
EnmaDaio2588 posted...
jessica73 posted...
Thanks ms, gimmie fable 2 on pc finally as way of apology

While it's arguably the best of the trilogy, you're really not missing out on too much.

I wonder if this re-focusing on the PC platform is the first move towards Microsoft abandoning the XBone...

Not by a longshot. As Cool_Dude pointed out above, Microsoft vows to "refocus on PC gaming" every year or two, and it's absolutely nothing more than empty words.

It's really not. they obviously do try to work with PC gaming and support it in a way that doesn't hurt their console business too much.

It's not like they fail because of a lack of trying. Microsoft is just bad at everything outside of making OSes.

People can complain about them giving up on GFWL, but not one person liked it. Everyone wanted them to drop it. And they realized it's a pointless platform that ended up just being backup DRM to games that are on steam anyway.

They could possibly come up with a decent way to support PC gaming without taking away Xbone exclusives. They'll fail if they try, but not because they're evil, it's because they just aren't good with this kind of thing.

Personally I think their best chance at getting in good with PC gaming is just bring back some PC exclusive franchises they've abandoned, like Age of Empires. They wouldn't have to touch Xbone exclusives, because that type of game isn't simple enough for consoles anyway. Work with valve, instead of making their own crappy platform. And just try and promote Windows as a gaming OS with a little more than just DirectX to stop the slow crawl towards other OSes.

Steambox may not be a revolution that moves gaming from windows to linux, but it's a small push in that direction, and it's a direction a lot of gamers and developers would like to go in the long run.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#22Bolc56Posted 3/24/2014 10:18:28 PM
Majoras_pants posted...
If this means Age of Empires 4, yay

If not, who cares?

This
---
PSN: Azaan60
#23arleasPosted 3/24/2014 10:23:46 PM(edited)
So basically Microsoft talks big about PC gaming (probably just to keep people buying their OS) and then never delivers, because why work for something when Valve is doing everything for you anyway?

Majoras_pants posted...
People can complain about them giving up on GFWL, but not one person liked it. Everyone wanted them to drop it. And they realized it's a pointless platform that ended up just being backup DRM to games that are on steam anyway.

I take it you've never seen Fenriswolf post around here?
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#24TiredofhearinguPosted 3/24/2014 10:24:00 PM
NO! NO MICROSOFT! You stay the hell away from my pc games... Damn gfwl bs...
#25Jon_GodPosted 3/24/2014 10:30:19 PM
GFWL 2.0
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#26GalaxyNexusPosted 3/24/2014 10:58:00 PM
You don't think the new CEO has anything to do with this? The company could do something different compared to when Balmer was under control.
#27LoshadtPosted 3/24/2014 11:03:26 PM
GalaxyNexus posted...
You don't think the new CEO has anything to do with this? The company could do something different compared to when Balmer was under control.

The only thing Microsoft might do differently this time is actually buy us a drink before they try to screw us.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#28arleasPosted 3/24/2014 11:04:35 PM
GalaxyNexus posted...

I'll believe it when I see it. Talk is cheap (as they say) and when you're getting "PR" it's even more worthless. It's basically telling you what you want to hear so that you keep spending your money in their direction. That's it.

Since I haven't fulfilled my cliche' quota, I'll just say that actions speak louder than words. I don't want to hear about the cool stuff they're going to do. I want to see the cool stuff they are doing... so far I'm not seeing that though.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#29MacrossSpecialPosted 3/24/2014 11:15:41 PM
The last company I think of when it comes to pc gaming or really gaming in general is microsoft.

I dont think that will be changing anytime soon. The lame exclusives on the xbox being on pc as well wont effect my play habits.
---
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll
#3030aught6Posted 3/24/2014 11:24:47 PM
Bill need dat GabeN monies.
---
| i7-3930K | MSI BB-XP II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | TT Grand 1200W | SG 240GB SSD | WD 4TB HD | Fractal XLR2 |