This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How often do you upgrade?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How often do you upgrade?
1 year ago#1
just curious how often people here upgrade their system?

Me personally i upgrade one major component at least once a year. This year i upgraded from 2 GTX 670's to the 2 GTX 780ti's. Also bought a bigger SSD which i haven't installed yet. Also have a i7 sitting on my desk that has yet to be installed... have to update motherboard to use it and this certain motherboard has been known to brick upon doing a bios update from what i hear.

I usually buy the newest iphones released every year and resell them on ebay to fund my rather expensive pc habits. I sold 2 gold Iphone 5s this year for close to 2000 bucks... Yeah it's on contract so i have my serviced renewed and everything but my brother in law owns a cellphone shop and i get what ever phone i want extremely cheap anyways so im not stuck with something ancient lol.

So what are your purchasing and upgrading habits?
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, PNY GTX 780TI SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD updating to i7 shortly
Xbox live: tanis8585
1 year ago#2
Still rocking Phenom II since 2012. Replaced faulty ram from 4GB to 8GB.
GPU was upgraded to HD 7870 from GTX 460 last year.
So I guess I upgrade my parts every year as well, but the CPU+motherboard+Case+powersupply will be upgraded every 4~5 years as I see fit.
---
Just because you think it is right, it doesn't make it right for everyone. Even you.
You're being trolled only if you let them.
1 year ago#3
I just upgrade based on need.

Sometimes that means I can use the same components for a long time. Some times just one game leads me to replace a component.

However I never feel the urge to upgrade for the sake of upgrading if I am actually still satisfied with the way my current hardware runs the game I am interested in playing. Typically that means that newer games should play at 1920x1080 resolution at about 40-70 frames per second on medium to high settings.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
1 year ago#4
CPU is about every 4 years because of all the components in your PC the CPU ages the slowest. Assuming you didn't cheap out and buy a crap one to begin with. The GPU I upgrade annually because they age the fastest of all your components and I just sell off my old ones and put that money towards a new set.

When the 880 Ti comes out I'm gonna sell both of my 780 Ti's for them.
1 year ago#5
Until my PC dies or cant play new games. Still rocking my GTS 450 or whatever its called.
---
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
1 year ago#6
Ride till it dies.
1 year ago#7
Stealth brag topic
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
1 year ago#8
When my pc struggles to play something I really want to play, which has not happened for a while
---
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS
1 year ago#9
i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
8gb ram
GTX 670

I have not found a reason to upgrade since I got the 670 a year ago and running on almost 3 years now for the 2500k.
1 year ago#10
I pretty much updgrade as needed. I build a new system about once every 3 or 4 years and do some incremental updgrading as needed. I keep my two most recent systems for inviting friends over. For instance I build the followinf system back in 2006 or 2007:

Q6600
2GB DDR2-667
8800 GTS 320MB
1 TB Hard Drive

By the time I built my current system it contained
Q6600
4GB DDR2-800
GTX 275 768MB
1 TB Hard Drive + 2 Raptor X 160 GB Hard Drives in a Raid 0

My Current System which replaced that one is
I7 2600K
2 x Radeon HD 6870 2 GB
8GB DDR3-1600
2 x 4 TB Hard Drives and 2 X 1 TB Hard Drives

I do a full system overhaul when I need to upgrade the CPU. I am looking to get another 2 years out of my current system by upgrading the graphics cards this year. I try to stick to good price-performance ratio parts, but don't ever buy hardware that's completely out of date at the time of purchase. Otherwise it won't last long enough to make the savings worth while.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How often do you upgrade?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived