This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Favorite, and still popular Arena Shooters recommendations?

#11Marshall_LawPosted 3/25/2014 9:56:37 AM
Come on guys you're sounding OLD(I'm 26) you all forget that a lot of gamers are very young and probably don't even know what an arena shooter is.
---
Six up never switch up Love, Life, loyalty, knowledge,wisdom,understanding. PSN kenjamin69
#12KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 9:59:02 AM
Marshall_Law posted...
Come on guys you're sounding OLD(I'm 26) you all forget that a lot of gamers are very young and probably don't even know what an arena shooter is.

Well, some of us ARE old. :P And arena shooters were awesome. Especially ones that made it easy for you to create custom maps.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#13Aadrian1234(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 10:31:10 AM
jake-sf posted...
Arena shooters -are- twitch shooters, so I'm not sure what he's going on about here.

If you were looking for an interesting shooter that isn't the modern stuff, I'd point you to Renegade X (which is in Beta and not in its best form but still fun), but thats not an arena shooter at all.
by twitch, I mean the ones where the time to kill is half a second or less. I was pretty sure that defined a twitch shooter, but I may have been wrong on the exact definition
---
"This...sentence...is...false!"
"Umm... True, I pick true. See? Not hard at all"
#14KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 10:42:19 AM
Aadrian1234 posted...
jake-sf posted...
Arena shooters -are- twitch shooters, so I'm not sure what he's going on about here.

If you were looking for an interesting shooter that isn't the modern stuff, I'd point you to Renegade X (which is in Beta and not in its best form but still fun), but thats not an arena shooter at all.
by twitch, I mean the ones where the time to kill is half a second or less. I was pretty sure that defined a twitch shooter, but I may have been wrong on the exact definition

Yeah, that's not exactly twitch. Twitch means fast movement and reflexes required. Basically relates to the type of movement your mouse hand makes as you play. Yes, some modern one-shot-kill games can also qualify, but usually, when you mention a twitch shooter, an arena shooter like UT comes immediately to mind.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#15Aadrian1234(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 11:45:13 AM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
Aadrian1234 posted...
jake-sf posted...

Yeah, that's not exactly twitch. Twitch means fast movement and reflexes required. Basically relates to the type of movement your mouse hand makes as you play. Yes, some modern one-shot-kill games can also qualify, but usually, when you mention a twitch shooter, an arena shooter like UT comes immediately to mind.

Ah, ok. Wherever i got the definition from must have been wrong then
---
"This...sentence...is...false!"
"Umm... True, I pick true. See? Not hard at all"
#16TheEntitledOnePosted 3/25/2014 11:46:39 AM
Quake Live, and there is usually a good Facing Worlds match going on in UT2K4
---
I got your number! I got all your numbers!
#17_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 3/25/2014 11:53:04 AM
Arena shooters like Quake and Unreal tournament are more accurately described as "twitch" shooters than modern military FPS with aim-down-sight mechanics. If the pace in those games put you off, then I suggest you stay away from arena shooters.

There are still some that are released, but they are not played a lot. Still though, games like Shootmania and Tribes Ascend do have a small but consistent following.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#18darthUAPosted 3/25/2014 12:43:29 PM
Quake Live would be good as there would be no problem finding matches.

Unreal Tournament is another one. Unreal Tournament 99 is the most active of all the Unreal Tournaments, (2k4 is also active in pick up games, but harder to find full public servers other than onslaut). UT99 you can find plenty of servers that are full at all hours of the day. Combogib is where the majority of the players play at now. But if you want to really get into UT99, there is a dedicated community of players that still play pick up games every night, but i suggest you get pretty good on public servers before going into any of them, because the level of play is completely different (most of these people have been playing the game since 99.....) If you're interested, you can get on IRC and join the server irc.globalgamers.com and join #puglatino (most active right now) , #upug , #mlut (you can also do #2k4ctf for 2k4 pickup games) There are also communities still going on www.globalunreal.com and prounreal.org . There are even draft leagues that happen a lot, as well as a big instagib community that has tournaments all the time.

Also if you need help getting things set up or have trouble with anything, these places are a good place to ask for help too, as most will be willing (though with any community, some will be hostile too, but don't let them discourage you) Here are some links to, to help you get things set up properly for today's UT:

http://prounreal.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45427
http://www.globalunreal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1608

I am in the camp that there needs to be an arena shooter revival, but with most of the population loving the slower paced, rank up shooters of today, and the unfortunate announcement from Epic that no new UT is in the works, we will unfortunately have to wait a while for that to happen.
#19quakkePosted 3/26/2014 4:09:34 PM
Yeah, as others have stated, Quake Live is your best bet at this point for same skill opponents and constant gaming. Afterwards come UT99 and stuff. Tribes Ascend is not really a Arena Shooter but it can be recommended since it has similarities and has still a small quite active community.

As someone stated already, i also think that a F2P model on a new Arena Shooter at this point would be very good idea. Wolfenstein: The New Order (upcoming Old School style singleplayer FPS) is even gathering some of these kids interest, since even the kids have started to get sick and tired of the same CoD/BF experience. What's more curios to them than an Arena Shooter (that all the Old Schoolers like myself praise) which they have never yet experienced? Nothing. This really is the perfect time for a new Arena Shooter to release, and that's why i hope Cliff does decide to make his plan come true, or if he has started it already, then to speed it up.
#20KabtheMentatPosted 3/26/2014 4:16:16 PM
Honestly, you might wanna look into Titanfall.

Yeah yeah, "IT'S JUST COD WITH MECHS!!!" No. No it's not. It's got a lot more in common with older arena shooters than modern military ones. And it's a ******* fun game.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.