This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

best free to play steam games?

#21lazycomplifePosted 3/25/2014 7:21:36 PM
Nobody has said Planetside 2, but I like it.
---
Official Swinub
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027 - Friend safari: ICE type: Delibird, Bergmite, Dewgong
#22SlaynPosted 3/25/2014 7:32:04 PM
I hate free games and their pay crap. Warframe doesn't look bad, but if they made a high quality game for $50, I would have just purchased that instead. If LOL were $50 I'd pay that and have all champs and be done. Even if they never added new champs.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#23gatorattack05Posted 3/25/2014 7:41:46 PM
If you like WW2 aviation, War Thunder. It is fantastic
#24zxelmanPosted 3/25/2014 7:42:37 PM
Slayn posted...
I hate free games and their pay crap. Warframe doesn't look bad, but if they made a high quality game for $50, I would have just purchased that instead. If LOL were $50 I'd pay that and have all champs and be done. Even if they never added new champs.

I'm not a MOBA fan at all, but at least Dota 2 gives you all the characters, or at least a lot, from what I know.

There are some good F2P games that do F2P right. Both Warframe and Path of Exile are great PvE games that allow the player to enjoy all of its content without needing to pay at all. For Warframe, it's just convenience and cosmetics, and you can even earn the premium currency without paying. Path of Exile may deprive you of satisfying looking loot when equipped on your character and you may want more storage space, but I find myself enjoying it either way.

I do enjoy the satisfaction of buying a game and not having to worry about being limited. Although I have to say that planned DLC still saps more money out of you in a way a F2P can, though the content given is usually favorable towards the DLC, depending on the game.

But I also enjoy the satisfaction of playing a game absolutely free and being able to get around the little limitations, depending on the game as well.
#25Hanlo_is_backPosted 3/25/2014 7:46:30 PM
Warframe is decent. I also enjoyed Vindictus, although I didn't play it for long.

also, while it's not on steam, I second Smite. Excellent game
---
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum
#26AsellusPosted 3/25/2014 7:56:33 PM
I'm not a MOBA fan at all, but at least Dota 2 gives you all the characters, or at least a lot, from what I know.

You get all of them. The things you buy are character cosmetics, different announcers, etc.
#27SlaynPosted 3/25/2014 9:14:08 PM
Well Warframe vs Mass Effect 3, which has a better system? I'd rather pay the $60 for ME3 multiplayer than to play f2p Warframe.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#28akuma634Posted 3/25/2014 9:27:08 PM
Marvel Heroes is fun, it does a good job of being "pay for what you want" as opposed to pay to unlock necessary parts of the game. For example the only things I paid for were an instant unlock of The Hulk and The Punisher as well as the Marvel MAX Punisher costume. I could try to get them as random drops, but I'd rather just buy those characters.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#29pothocketPosted 3/26/2014 5:50:14 AM(edited)
Slayn posted...
Well Warframe vs Mass Effect 3, which has a better system? I'd rather pay the $60 for ME3 multiplayer than to play f2p Warframe.

You paid $60 for the campaign, the online has a free-to-play microtransaction model. If it wasn't, you'd unlock gear normally rather than random boosters and DLC would be paid rather than free.

Hell, a lot of games could use the same model. Titanfall is just begging to be a free-to-play game. But no, we paid $60 for barely any content because apparently that's better than paying less money for more content.

Developers: Well ok, if that's what you guys are really asking for... *snicker*
---
http://i.imgur.com/L2ASIya.gif
http://i.imgur.com/5hUcbcx.gif
#30zxelmanPosted 3/26/2014 6:08:38 AM(edited)
Slayn posted...

Well you wouldn't be paying $60 at this point in time, however obvious that was.

The above poster pretty much got it with how the multiplayer works. In fact, ME3's system is probably worse than Warframe's system because unless you're lucky with your free boxes in ME3 multiplayer when you first start out, you're gonna be stuck on Bronze/Silver for awhile until you either get pretty good or you get good stuff by chance. The boxes are completely random.

Warframe you can just work towards the stuff you actually want for the most part. Warframe has a much better system in place for obtaining weapons and new characters.

However, difficulty-wise, ME3 is much harder (for a good reason) in that department and has a much more rewarding co-op experience. Warframe is only awesome in the beginning if you start out with your friends, because your crap gear will require you to make good decisions, or you'll go down. Later on, Warframe gets a bit too easy unless you go deep into survival or endless defense modes, where enemies become bullet sponges and start one-hit killing.

If Warframe were to get the kind of co-operative feel that ME3 gives on Platinum, along with the satisfaction and appropriate rewards for it, I can bet you Warframe will be a worthy and competent F2P alternative for almost all ME3 multiplayer fans.