This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend me some 3D/non-retro 2D indie games

#1imasexywomanPosted 3/25/2014 11:38:38 AM
I dislike big budget games because of their focus on cutscenes/story over gameplay. Easy then, let's visit the indie aisle of the gaming sector. But there's a small problem there, too: there is so much retro art these days, a lot of the games looking actually worse than the inspiration behind them. Not that I dislike ALL of the retro games, but much of it annoys me.

So, here's my question: what are some great indie games with 3D graphics that focus on gameplay above story? Story is acceptable but it can't be a focal point like say Bioshock Infinite. A good example is Torchlight II.

And hell, if you want you can recommend me some legit good looking 2D games, too. Something like the recent Rayman games or Mark of the Ninja.
#2KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 11:45:02 AM
Recettear?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 11:45:31 AM
Also, wasn't Natural Selection 2 indie? If so, there's your gameplay over story all the way.
---
#4r0ge00Posted 3/25/2014 11:53:48 AM
Capsized
Aquaria
Valdis Story (doesn't look too retro)
Dust
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Vessel
Trine 1 and 2
Tiny and Big
Rochard

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty more
#5ThePCElitistPosted 3/25/2014 11:59:19 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Also, wasn't Natural Selection 2 indie? If so, there's your gameplay over story all the way.

Yes they are an indie team. People seem to think otherwise because they released a game with AAA quality visuals. Pretty much their entire project was funded by donations and their own pockets.
#6KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 12:01:03 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

Yes they are an indie team. People seem to think otherwise because they released a game with AAA quality visuals. Pretty much their entire project was funded by donations and their own pockets.

Yeah, it's a very clean, high quality game. Definitely AAA caliber - in gameplay, mechanics, and visuals.
---
#7maybecallsPosted 3/25/2014 12:05:25 PM
I share your dislike of cutscenes. I just like to get on with the game.

Mount and Blade Warband

924 hours on it, so far, online and off.
#8imasexywoman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 12:57:20 PM
maybecalls posted...
I share your dislike of cutscenes. I just like to get on with the game.

Mount and Blade Warband

924 hours on it, so far, online and off.

I've been vaguely interested in this but am tempted to wait for the sequel. With my luck, though, I'll do that and it will suck.
#9KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 1:07:20 PM
I'd just grab Warband. Wait for a sale if you want, but it's still widely rated as the best from the Mount & Blade series so far... even better than the expansion(s?) that came out after it.
---
#10Cool_Dude667Posted 3/25/2014 1:10:25 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

Crazy part is they built the engine from scratch too, those guys have passion.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi