This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR.

#101SlaynPosted 3/25/2014 4:36:51 PM
This really makes me wish I could come up with a good idea and make a few billion. Imagine being these people. First you start off with an idea, then you go to Kickstarter.... you make millions off of that, which is already a HUGE accomplishment.... then you get bought out by Facebook... wow.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#102arleasPosted 3/25/2014 4:37:20 PM
http://notch.net/2014/03/virtual-reality-is-going-to-change-the-world/

Notch
I definitely want to be a part of VR, but I will not work with Facebook. Their motives are too unclear and shifting, and they havenít historically been a stable platform. Thereís nothing about their history that makes me trust them, and that makes them seem creepy to me.

And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition.

There's still hope that whatever Facebook tries to do to the Rift, it can be undone...or that it won't be THAT damaging... Money is nice, but this is the equivalent of selling your soul to the Devil. Hell, I'd rather have seen Microsoft buy them out...at least they're still related to gaming.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#103Cloudzer00Posted 3/25/2014 4:37:29 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Did anyone seriously think this Oculus Rift stuff was actually going to become the "next big thing"? I mean seriously.

It's as gimmicky as motion controls.

And Nintendo made tons of money with it
#104KabtheMentatPosted 3/25/2014 4:41:17 PM
Cloudzer00 posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Did anyone seriously think this Oculus Rift stuff was actually going to become the "next big thing"? I mean seriously.

Yeah well, look where that's gotten them with the Wii U. Gimmicks usually only work one time.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.
#105St0ckingPosted 3/25/2014 4:44:53 PM
Cloudzer00 posted...
So, is it Sony master race now?

Sony always wins, baby.
#106KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 4:46:42 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Cloudzer00 posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

Yeah well, look where that's gotten them with the Wii U. Gimmicks usually only work one time.

Nintendo has pulled off more successful gimmicks than any of the others recently... motion controls, portable glasses-free 3D...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#107bksonic123Posted 3/25/2014 4:47:40 PM
Yes! I can finally touch the ripeness of my cabbages in FarmVille.
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls
If you love games with great stories, you've got to play Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective.
#108meteor9898Posted 3/25/2014 4:48:16 PM
CELTEKK posted...
whats wrong with this? Facebook has unlimited resources. this is their entry into the market. they're gonna pour money into this project, making oculus better

what's with the Facebook hipster hate?

Are you serious? If Facebook gets their hands on this, we're never going to be able to play any games without a layout change every few hours, ads all over the screen, and popups to post our highscores to our walls. Also, VR Farmville just became a lot realer and lot scarier...
#109KabtheMentatPosted 3/25/2014 4:50:14 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Cloudzer00 posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

Nintendo has pulled off more successful gimmicks than any of the others recently... motion controls, portable glasses-free 3D...

I think with those gimmicks, like with most of them, people just power through it. Who the hell gets a 3DS game because it's in 3D? You get the game because you want Fire Emblem or Pokemon or whatever. Same with a Wii, you get it because you want Nintendo games (God knows why nowadays, they're pretty horrible).
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.
#110KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 4:52:46 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
I think with those gimmicks, like with most of them, people just power through it. Who the hell gets a 3DS game because it's in 3D? You get the game because you want Fire Emblem or Pokemon or whatever. Same with a Wii, you get it because you want Nintendo games (God knows why nowadays, they're pretty horrible).

I dunno... if that were true, seems like the Wii U wouldn't be doing quite so poorly.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23