This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR.

#141Ch3wyPosted 3/25/2014 5:40:08 PM
Sudieken posted...
Ch3wy posted...
I'm going to pray to Gaben every night asking him to save the day by purchasing it back from Facebook.

If he cuts all ties to them like Notch just announced via Twitter, it would be a devastating blow...and pretty funny too.

There's nothing funny about this, I'm crying right now.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#142aaron1111Posted 3/25/2014 5:44:26 PM(edited)
Just reading the TIME Magazine article makes Me shiver.

Zuckerberg: We can use the Rift for Virtual Advertising and Events......

awesome....this is why I respect 2K and Rockstar, they told EA to beat it and didin't succumb to billions being dumped on their floor.

Hopefully Google makes a VR headset. I can hope right? I truely belived the guys at Occulus where honest about their product. But guess I was wrong, the greedy fatcat businessmen did it again.

Oh and BTW the Rift is delayed. Zuckerberg said we have no release window for the Rift. So much for my 2014 look forward innovation.
#143therickmu25Posted 3/25/2014 5:42:39 PM
I'm about to cry
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
#144BogePosted 3/25/2014 5:43:11 PM
Only one thing I know can ruin a product, Greed. When greed steps in, it's not about the product anymore, but about the revenue. They'll probably have mandatory advertisements whenever you turn the Oculus on or something. A product always takes a quality hit when the company focuses on money first. If they'd focus on having a great product or service first, the money comes naturally.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#145Orestes417Posted 3/25/2014 5:43:11 PM
aaron1111 posted...

awesome....this is why I respect 2K and Rockstar, they told EA to beat it and didin't succumb to billions being dumped on their floor.

Hopefully Google makes a VR headset. I can hope right?

At least EA would've marketed it as a gaming device. Don't know how you think selling to Google would've been any better than Facebook either, they may actually be worse overall.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#146KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 5:45:55 PM
Boge posted...
Only one thing I know can ruin a product, Greed. When greed steps in, it's not about the product anymore, but about the revenue. They'll probably have mandatory advertisements whenever you turn the Oculus on or something. A product always takes a quality hit when the company focuses on money first. If they'd focus on having a great product or service first, the money comes naturally.

Doesn't the Oculus actually track your eyes too? So they'd know if you're wearing it, or even if you're looking at the ads or not? They could actually use that to literally force you to watch/read ads for a set amount of time before going on with whatever you wanted to do.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#147Hi CPosted 3/25/2014 5:46:12 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Lemur_H posted...
So, this technically means John Carmack is now a Facebook employee...?

@#$%

It would appear so. Now a kid who was 10 when he created Doom is his boss. :P

He didn't create Doom, he created the engine.
---
You'll be my John G.
#148Hicks233Posted 3/25/2014 5:47:03 PM
So it'll be pitched to a wider audience, with likely greater investment and "gamers" will have a hissyfit. It'll actually be interesting now to see how the marketing skunks try to demonstrate this as a broadly appealing device.

Given this is a "gamer" reaction to the acquisition...

Please Facebook... buy Valve. The tears would be delicious.
---
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9458
Sheep are propper dumb, they run away when you go to stroke em
#149aaron1111Posted 3/25/2014 5:50:29 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
aaron1111 posted...

Hopefully Google makes a VR headset. I can hope right?

At least EA would've marketed it as a gaming device. Don't know how you think selling to Google would've been any better than Facebook either, they may actually be worse overall.

Well Google is getting into the Artificial intelligence field. I just have to disagree, I don't think Facebook is the better choice here. They screw up everything they touch. It'll be a surprise if this works out now.

It's already been delayed.
#150Genericgamer667Posted 3/25/2014 5:49:59 PM
I just love how all fans of gaming are united against this
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767 NNID: Seadrake
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666