This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR.

#301Orestes417Posted 3/26/2014 3:13:10 PM
If you think steam and Facebook are remotely in the same league with regards to damage done perhaps you need to open your eyes and see the world. The worst sins Gaben has to his name is creating an army of brain dead fanboys and popularizing hats.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#302Ch3wyPosted 3/26/2014 3:16:48 PM
sirtonne posted...
I think all the negativity and outrage from PC gamers is very hypocritical.

The same people complaining about having Facebook adds/interface/DRM attached to their VR also love Steam for doing the exact same thing to PC games.

This is nothing new, it's the reality of what PC gaming is now, everything on this "open system" is tied to smaller closed systems. This is what you wanted, the digital future is here.

Steam was not a well received thing. It was hated at first but PC gamers were beat into submission with sales.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#303KillerTrufflePosted 3/26/2014 3:28:55 PM
sirtonne posted...
I think all the negativity and outrage from PC gamers is very hypocritical.

The same people complaining about having Facebook adds/interface/DRM attached to their VR also love Steam for doing the exact same thing to PC games.

This is nothing new, it's the reality of what PC gaming is now, everything on this "open system" is tied to smaller closed systems. This is what you wanted, the digital future is here.

Wait, Steam pops up ads on you everywhere? You may want to do a malware scan, because that sounds abnormal.

As for interface, are you seriously saying Steam's interface is comparable to the ridiculous rage-inducing mess that is Facebook?

And as was pointed out, tons of people (myself included) hated Steam when it first came out. I tried it when it was first released, found it horrible, and got rid of it. I was also pretty pissed that I was forced to use it to install my disc version of HL2. Over time, Steam has improved significantly tho.

On the other hand, look at Facebook. It started out as a nice way for college kids to communicate, and then opened up to the public. It wasn't too bad in general, and gave people a way to keep in touch. Over time tho, it has grown more and more cumbersome (as opposed to Steam becoming easier to use), and less and less connected with its users (Steam does actually take feedback into account), and really doesn't provide users with what they like/want (Steam introduced sale events, daily deals, etc.).

I'm not sure where you're seeing the parallel or hypocrisy... Facebook is *nowhere* on the same level as Steam.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#304aaron1111Posted 3/26/2014 3:40:07 PM(edited)
I honestly think most people should be mad at Occulus. Not Facebook.

I can see some court cases coming, Not sure if the people will win though. I think Occulus should give the people who donated hundreds, and thousands of dollars some refund and a DK2 or Consumer version. Or just outright refund the backers.

I don't think taking money from the community and then 8 months later take 2 billion dollars is a good thing to do. But hey Occulus might give Backers something. Now that they are are multi billion dollar company they can give that small sum back to the people that made them what they are in the first place.

My 2 cents. If I got 200 million dollars tomorrow for a project people gave me 1 million to start a couple months prior, I'd give the 1 million back.
#305Orestes417Posted 3/26/2014 3:41:49 PM
The backers should've known the possibilities when they hit the submit button on their pledge. It's not as if there was any attempt at deception going on with the kickstarter side.
---
#306KillerTrufflePosted 3/26/2014 3:44:50 PM
aaron1111 posted...

I can see some court cases coming, Not sure if the people will win though. I think Occulus should give the people who donated hundreds, and thousands of dollars some refund and a DK2 or Consumer version. Or just outright refund the backers.

I don't think taking money from the community and then 8 months later take 2 billion dollars is a good thing to do. But hey Occulus might give Backers something. Now that they are are multi billion dollar company they can give that small sum back to the people that made them what they are in the first place.

My 2 cents. If I got 200 million dollars tomorrow for a project people gave me 1 million to start a couple months prior, I'd give the 1 million back.

I'm not entirely sure handing out shares of Facebook stock (the primary method of payment of those $2 billion) would really do a lot to appease angry backers.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#307aaron1111Posted 3/26/2014 3:48:18 PM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
aaron1111 posted...

I'm not entirely sure handing out shares of Facebook stock (the primary method of payment of those $2 billion) would really do a lot to appease angry backers.

1.3 billion in cash is enough to give the 2.4 million back. And again, the people who donated thousands should get gear with it.
#308Orestes417Posted 3/26/2014 3:49:23 PM
Because they didn't bother to educate themselves on what they were signing up for? Please
---
#309aaron1111Posted 3/26/2014 3:52:19 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Because they didn't bother to educate themselves on what they were signing up for? Please

They are not entitled to anything, that is true. But it would be good common courtesy after striking it big to give the drop of water back from the tank of water.
#310sirtonnePosted 3/26/2014 3:53:11 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]