This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR.

#311sirtonnePosted 3/26/2014 4:53:48 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
sirtonne posted...
I think all the negativity and outrage from PC gamers is very hypocritical.

The same people complaining about having Facebook adds/interface/DRM attached to their VR also love Steam for doing the exact same thing to PC games.

This is nothing new, it's the reality of what PC gaming is now, everything on this "open system" is tied to smaller closed systems. This is what you wanted, the digital future is here.

Wait, Steam pops up ads on you everywhere? You may want to do a malware scan, because that sounds abnormal.

As for interface, are you seriously saying Steam's interface is comparable to the ridiculous rage-inducing mess that is Facebook?

And as was pointed out, tons of people (myself included) hated Steam when it first came out. I tried it when it was first released, found it horrible, and got rid of it. I was also pretty pissed that I was forced to use it to install my disc version of HL2. Over time, Steam has improved significantly tho.

On the other hand, look at Facebook. It started out as a nice way for college kids to communicate, and then opened up to the public. It wasn't too bad in general, and gave people a way to keep in touch. Over time tho, it has grown more and more cumbersome (as opposed to Steam becoming easier to use), and less and less connected with its users (Steam does actually take feedback into account), and really doesn't provide users with what they like/want (Steam introduced sale events, daily deals, etc.).

I'm not sure where you're seeing the parallel or hypocrisy... Facebook is *nowhere* on the same level as Steam.

So, in short, you like Steam so their DRM is good. But you don't like Facebook so whatever plans they have for Oculus (which we have absolutely no knowledge of yet) are bad. Got it.
#312KillerTrufflePosted 3/26/2014 4:56:42 PM
aaron1111 posted...
1.3 billion in cash is enough to give the 2.4 million back. And again, the people who donated thousands should get gear with it.

Where did you see 1.3 billion in cash? Cuz every report I've seen, including Forbes, said $400 million in cash, and the rest in FB shares.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#313Ch3wyPosted 3/26/2014 4:57:11 PM
sirtonne posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
sirtonne posted...
I think all the negativity and outrage from PC gamers is very hypocritical.

The same people complaining about having Facebook adds/interface/DRM attached to their VR also love Steam for doing the exact same thing to PC games.

This is nothing new, it's the reality of what PC gaming is now, everything on this "open system" is tied to smaller closed systems. This is what you wanted, the digital future is here.

Wait, Steam pops up ads on you everywhere? You may want to do a malware scan, because that sounds abnormal.

As for interface, are you seriously saying Steam's interface is comparable to the ridiculous rage-inducing mess that is Facebook?

And as was pointed out, tons of people (myself included) hated Steam when it first came out. I tried it when it was first released, found it horrible, and got rid of it. I was also pretty pissed that I was forced to use it to install my disc version of HL2. Over time, Steam has improved significantly tho.

On the other hand, look at Facebook. It started out as a nice way for college kids to communicate, and then opened up to the public. It wasn't too bad in general, and gave people a way to keep in touch. Over time tho, it has grown more and more cumbersome (as opposed to Steam becoming easier to use), and less and less connected with its users (Steam does actually take feedback into account), and really doesn't provide users with what they like/want (Steam introduced sale events, daily deals, etc.).

I'm not sure where you're seeing the parallel or hypocrisy... Facebook is *nowhere* on the same level as Steam.

So, in short, you like Steam so their DRM is good. But you don't like Facebook so whatever plans they have for Oculus (which we have absolutely no knowledge of yet) are bad. Got it.

I think he provided a bit more reasoning than that.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#314aaron1111Posted 3/26/2014 4:57:43 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
aaron1111 posted...
1.3 billion in cash is enough to give the 2.4 million back. And again, the people who donated thousands should get gear with it.

Where did you see 1.3 billion in cash? Cuz every report I've seen, including Forbes, said $400 million in cash, and the rest in FB shares.

May have that backwards then. Fine, 400 million is enough to give the 2.4 million back. 10 million would be enough.
#315KillerTrufflePosted 3/26/2014 5:00:39 PM
sirtonne posted...

Way to grossly oversimplify the matter to build a strawman/veiled ad hominem. Facebook has some massive concerns that Steam doesn't. Facebook sells your information for profit. Steam doesn't. Facebook shoves advertising in your face every which way it can. Steam doesn't. So yes, I find Facebook to be a much bigger concern/threat than Steam.
---
#316sirtonnePosted 3/26/2014 5:06:01 PM
Ch3wy posted...

He really didn't. It was just rambling on about personal preference for one and not the other. The bottom line is Steam is DRM that gets between gamers and their games, and FB will likewise insert themselves in the VR experience somehow, but we don't even know how it will be implemented yet so it's stupid to be all up in arms over nothing.
#317Ch3wyPosted 3/26/2014 5:10:32 PM
sirtonne posted...
Ch3wy posted...

He really didn't. It was just rambling on about personal preference for one and not the other. The bottom line is Steam is DRM that gets between gamers and their games, and FB will likewise insert themselves in the VR experience somehow, but we don't even know how it will be implemented yet so it's stupid to be all up in arms over nothing.

I'm going to just assume that it was just too much text for you to read, so you didn't read any of it and assumed it was meaningless.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#318sirtonnePosted 3/26/2014 5:19:09 PM
Ch3wy posted...
sirtonne posted...
Ch3wy posted...

I'm going to just assume that it was just too much text for you to read, so you didn't read any of it and assumed it was meaningless.

lol okay. I'll assume that once someone's replies have no content other than childish insults, that they belong on my ignore list. Cheers.
#319KillerTrufflePosted 3/26/2014 5:26:36 PM
Ch3wy posted...
sirtonne posted...
Ch3wy posted...

No, it's OK... he's right. It really is just my preference. His preference, on the other hand, appears to be to joyfully throw his personal data to the wind for whoever would like to profit from it, to fight his way through ever-increasingly difficult interfaces to find options that may or may not be there after the last update, to lose even the most basic and logical interface options (Facebook eliminated the ability to view an alphabetical list of your friends long ago), and the more ads the better (since Zuckerberg has already effectively promised ads are coming to Oculus - that's where he sees their income coming from).

TC's preference leans toward the excessively masochistic, rather than what's good for gaming or himself. So yeah, you could call it a matter of preference.
---
#320KillerTrufflePosted 3/26/2014 5:27:59 PM
sirtonne posted...
Ch3wy posted...

You realize that Steam is ONLY DRM for games that chose to use Steamworks as their DRM, right? Aside from that, Steam doesn't get in the way of s***. You can close Steam completely, browse to the game folder of any non-Steamworks game, and run the game's .exe directly without ever so much as touching Steam.
---