This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR.

#321Orestes417Posted 3/26/2014 4:32:03 PM
Doesn't much matter. Steam sells products, Facebook makes you the product. Seriously, I couldn't give a single **** less what Facebook intends to do, their corporate history makes them scum.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#322sirtonnePosted 3/26/2014 4:42:52 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Ch3wy posted...
sirtonne posted...
Ch3wy posted...
I think he provided a bit more reasoning than that.

He really didn't. It was just rambling on about personal preference for one and not the other. The bottom line is Steam is DRM that gets between gamers and their games, and FB will likewise insert themselves in the VR experience somehow, but we don't even know how it will be implemented yet so it's stupid to be all up in arms over nothing.

I'm going to just assume that it was just too much text for you to read, so you didn't read any of it and assumed it was meaningless.

No, it's OK... he's right. It really is just my preference. His preference, on the other hand, appears to be to joyfully throw his personal data to the wind for whoever would like to profit from it, to fight his way through ever-increasingly difficult interfaces to find options that may or may not be there after the last update, to lose even the most basic and logical interface options (Facebook eliminated the ability to view an alphabetical list of your friends long ago), and the more ads the better (since Zuckerberg has already effectively promised ads are coming to Oculus - that's where he sees their income coming from).

TC's preference leans toward the excessively masochistic, rather than what's good for gaming or himself. So yeah, you could call it a matter of preference.

You know what they say about making assumptions...
I never said I use FB, or Steam for that matter. In fact, I use neither. I consider FB too anti-privacy and Steam too anti-consumer.
#323Ch3wyPosted 3/26/2014 4:48:25 PM
sirtonne posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
Ch3wy posted...
sirtonne posted...
Ch3wy posted...
I think he provided a bit more reasoning than that.

He really didn't. It was just rambling on about personal preference for one and not the other. The bottom line is Steam is DRM that gets between gamers and their games, and FB will likewise insert themselves in the VR experience somehow, but we don't even know how it will be implemented yet so it's stupid to be all up in arms over nothing.

I'm going to just assume that it was just too much text for you to read, so you didn't read any of it and assumed it was meaningless.

No, it's OK... he's right. It really is just my preference. His preference, on the other hand, appears to be to joyfully throw his personal data to the wind for whoever would like to profit from it, to fight his way through ever-increasingly difficult interfaces to find options that may or may not be there after the last update, to lose even the most basic and logical interface options (Facebook eliminated the ability to view an alphabetical list of your friends long ago), and the more ads the better (since Zuckerberg has already effectively promised ads are coming to Oculus - that's where he sees their income coming from).

TC's preference leans toward the excessively masochistic, rather than what's good for gaming or himself. So yeah, you could call it a matter of preference.

You know what they say about making assumptions...
I never said I use FB, or Steam for that matter. In fact, I use neither. I consider FB too anti-privacy and Steam too anti-consumer.

Now that you've acknowledge that the two have their own completely separate flaws, maybe you can come to understand why someone would like one but not the other without being a hypocrite?
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#324OreoBoy206Posted 3/26/2014 5:20:16 PM(edited)
Do you guys feel the same way towards Google and Android? Doesn't Google essentially make money the same way Facebook does, taking private data and advertising?
#325Orestes417Posted 3/26/2014 5:23:38 PM
OreoBoy206 posted...
Do you guys feel the same way towards Google and Android? Doesn't Google essentially make money the same way Facebook does, taking private data and advertising?

I'm not exceptionally happy with google no, and I'm growing less amused as time goes on. The difference is the choice to use google in it's current state was grandfathered in. Facebook has been avoided thus far and that won't change.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#326KillerTrufflePosted 3/26/2014 5:23:57 PM
OreoBoy206 posted...

Indeed I do. I actually used to try to push everyone I know on Facebook over to G+, up until they started getting WAY too up in our business, forcing merged accounts, forcing G+ to comment on Youtube, etc. Google started pushing anti-consumer practices, so I've not only stopped trying to get people to switch to G+, I've cut way back on my use of any Google products. I do really like the Android interface and stuff, but even there, I'm seriously debating my next upgrade once my contract is up.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#327AwesomePerson99Posted 3/27/2014 12:07:46 AM
**** Facebook.
---
I support Shulk for SSB4. - Reyn should be a Assist Trophy.
Melia Antiqua is my waifu.
#328uncleePosted 3/27/2014 5:13:58 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
unclee posted...
Samune posted...
Sell outs. I wonder what Carmack thinks? Left ID for Oculus and now works for facebook. What now is right.

Considering this deal was probably being worked on for many months (these types of things don't happen in a week), I'd say he likely left Id because he knew this was coming. Oculus was about to get a massive influx of cash from a giant corporation, what better time to jump on board?

I believe that would be insider trading and illegal.

That's...not what insider trading is at all. Insider trading is when you buy/sell stock in a publicly traded company using information that the general public doesn't have.

Finding out Oculus was working on a deal to be acquired by Facebook and then signing on to work for them isn't illegal. Now, had he found out about this and then bought/sold Facebook stock then, yes, that would be insider trading.
#329r0ge00Posted 3/27/2014 6:55:15 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
I do really like the Android interface and stuff, but even there, I'm seriously debating my next upgrade once my contract is up.

What are you going to do? Even if you get an Apple or Microsoft product, the difference is negligible in reference to your concerns.
#330TireseasPosted 3/27/2014 6:59:12 AM
Trying to remember the last time I saw Apple pestering me on every single login to join a social networking site... oh wait, they haven't as of yet. Neither has MS for that matter
---
More and more, it feels like I'm doing a really bad impersonation of myself.