This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR.

#41HighwayPilotPosted 3/25/2014 3:21:13 PM
I really wanted one and was going to buy one. But I hate Facebook and avoid it at all cost, so I can't justify it to myself to buy one anymore.

There are plenty of major players that could buy Oculus that would make perfect sense. Facebook isn't a player in that arena at all... At least Whatsapp made sense. This doesn't.
#42GordatonPosted 3/25/2014 3:23:59 PM(edited)
Well........guess I won't be getting one then. This is pretty damn sad.

By far the worst gaming news to come out in recent times.
#43KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 3:23:58 PM
It's Facebook. They'll find a way to f*** it up, change features so they can collect more data about you while further restricting what you can do with it, etc. Facebook doesn't have the slightest clue how to give people what they actually want. The only reason they're even surviving at this point is because "everyone is on Facebook." Nobody wants to switch to something new, because everyone they talk to is on Facebook. The service itself gets continually crappier, but people don't leave cuz they're stuck.

My guess is Facebook knows their time is limited - teens aren't tied to Facebook the way college kids and adults are, so they're going other directions much more. I think they're just trying to hedge their bets and diversify to help ensure their survival. Problem is, it's still the same idiots running the company.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#44R i c kPosted 3/25/2014 3:24:20 PM
*Sigh*

And so ends the dream...
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded, Hearthstone and others.
#45codyorrPosted 3/25/2014 3:26:07 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Well that product is dead.

So what's next?
#46SleepComaPosted 3/25/2014 3:27:25 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#47cyberwarrior94Posted 3/25/2014 3:32:38 PM
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
Well, I want to say Facebook is gonna f*** it up, but really I dont have a whole lot of reason to think they're going to immediately screw it up, besides the fact that Facebook is going to be less willing to "bet the farm"(if you will pardon the expression) on any potential changes or ideas when compared to a small startup whose sole purpose was to get VR out there. Conversely, Facebook has waaaaaay more money to throw at VR as a whole than Oculus could have ever had, so maybe its not all bad. As long as there isnt mandatory facebook integration or some s***.

That's basically my fear, I know many at campus who don't want or use a Facebook, but want this, and if there is a mandatory Facebook need ( like say PSN or XBL), then that will keep them away. IMO I see a benefit but at the same time I'm concerned it may end up like OUYA if not handled properly. I also fear micro-transactions and ad bloatware (more so than what we see on PSN and XBL), but that's pretty much an after thought fear (mere unreasonable if I may add as well). In all, I'm still gonna look and see how this will play out now, and hope that it won't fail. To each they're own.
---
PSN, Steam, Nintendo ID, and YT Name: Cyberworrier94
Check out my future LP's on YouTube!
#48LiquidDeePosted 3/25/2014 3:32:49 PM
Well ****.
#49OreoBoy206Posted 3/25/2014 3:33:17 PM
They claim Oculus VR will remain independent. They said the same thing about Instagram and WhatsApp and so far have kept their word from what I hear... I guess only time will tell.
#50Doomsday FortePosted 3/25/2014 3:33:31 PM
I can easily see ads popping up in games based on your interests. Or the device will post to your wall about what you're doing in game. Or you'll have things popping up telling you to make posts about good kills or something you've discovered.

"But what if I don't have a Facebook account?"

Like you have any choice in the matter!
---
Crimson night & Celsion moon, misfiction, not save the Player is Prayer, yes, Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia.