This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR.

#51Hanlo_is_backPosted 3/25/2014 2:33:42 PM
gg
---
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum
#52GoIrish80Posted 3/25/2014 2:35:37 PM
I pre-ordered Dev Kit 2, and will probably keep that pre order to try it, but I'm not sure I can put my money behind the consumer version knowing who is really in charge of it now.

I'd be pretty frustrated if I gave any kind of money to the Kickstarter for this whole thing, but thankfully I thought Kickstarter was a joke for exactly reasons like this well before today.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#53Dragoon StarPosted 3/25/2014 2:38:57 PM
Why can't we ever have nice things anymore
---
GameFaqs is NOT the place to go for relationship advice. Nobody here gets any action unless it is their right or left hand. Including me. - Dawn and Dusk
#54Blobs_Posted 3/25/2014 2:39:26 PM
There goes that.
---
is haha
#55AsucaHayashiPosted 3/25/2014 2:39:31 PM
let's be honest... nobody in here would say no to $2b.

too bad that means the VR and every type of potential it had is now royally f'd.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#56KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 2:39:56 PM
I simply can't wrap my mind around how Oculus could be in any way relevant to Facebook. They're going to find some way to exploit it for advertising, aggregation of personal data for sale (like they use Facebook itself for), and stuff like that I'm sure... but is there any other way it's actually relevant? They might as well have bought Tesla Motors for all the sense this makes.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#57LvthnPosted 3/25/2014 2:40:28 PM
cyberwarrior94 posted...
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
Well, I want to say Facebook is gonna f*** it up, but really I dont have a whole lot of reason to think they're going to immediately screw it up, besides the fact that Facebook is going to be less willing to "bet the farm"(if you will pardon the expression) on any potential changes or ideas when compared to a small startup whose sole purpose was to get VR out there. Conversely, Facebook has waaaaaay more money to throw at VR as a whole than Oculus could have ever had, so maybe its not all bad. As long as there isnt mandatory facebook integration or some s***.

That's basically my fear, I know many at campus who don't want or use a Facebook, but want this, and if there is a mandatory Facebook need ( like say PSN or XBL), then that will keep them away. IMO I see a benefit but at the same time I'm concerned it may end up like OUYA if not handled properly. I also fear micro-transactions and ad bloatware (more so than what we see on PSN and XBL), but that's pretty much an after thought fear (mere unreasonable if I may add as well). In all, I'm still gonna look and see how this will play out now, and hope that it won't fail. To each they're own.

If Facebook just technically owns it and backs it but does not interfere, I might still buy one. If there's so much as a hint of mandatory Facebook sign up, I will not touch it.

Should anyone wonder why: I view Facebook as a fundamental invasion of your privacy that people have unwisely adopted as some kind of ridiculous social standard. The fact that people now stress out about a potential interest's Facebook relationship status is a solid contender for most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
#58KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 2:41:29 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
let's be honest... nobody in here would say no to $2b.

too bad that means the VR and every type of potential it had is now royally f'd.

Smarter business people might - those who recognize the true potential of the technology and are willing to be patient enough to ultimately end up with much more than $2 billion. Taking the money and running is greedy, but not necessarily the smartest track.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#59halomonkey1_3_5Posted 3/25/2014 2:41:41 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I simply can't wrap my mind around how Oculus could be in any way relevant to Facebook. They're going to find some way to exploit it for advertising, aggregation of personal data for sale (like they use Facebook itself for), and stuff like that I'm sure... but is there any other way it's actually relevant? They might as well have bought Tesla Motors for all the sense this makes.

Only thing I could think of was Facebook moving into non-social media products...but even then, spending $2 BILLION on a company that hasnt even released a single consumer product doesnt make a ton of sense as a first step
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#60XxAzerothxXPosted 3/25/2014 2:43:29 PM
GoIrish80 posted...
CELTEKK posted...
Orestes417 posted...
EA's a game publisher, Facebook is malware of the societal structure. I don't get the comparison at all

your hate is deep for Facebook. did they kill your family?

And your defense is deep for Facebook. Are they part of your family?

Just shut up. People are entitled to their opinions no matter how crazy or outlandish and nothing you say anonymously online is going to change what someone thinks.

"I'm entitled to my opinion but if you call me out on it, i'm going to tell you to keep your opinion to yourself!"