This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR.

#91KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 4:13:30 PM
AirTease posted...
Sounds like a good thing to me.

Facebook has damn near endless funds, also it's not like Facebook themselves are making the product they are just helping it along. The development team is the same.

This blind hate annoys me.

First, yes, Facebook is currently very rich, but I also see it starting to die. They have never had any interest in keeping up with what their users actually want, and kids are more and more going other places for their social media stuff, meaning Facebook's days are limited. As I said before, there's already a ton of resentment against Facebook for dozens of valid reasons, and one of the main reasons I think Facebook has not already started collapsing is that so many people are on it, all those same people are afraid to leave because "everyone else I talk to uses it."

Well, if you moved to something else (say G+, although I'm not promoting that since they're as bad or worse in terms of privacy), and everyone on your list was willing to move, and they were able to get all their friends to move, and so on, Facebook would be a non-issue. Thing is, people in general are just too resistant to any change from status quo, so no one leaves. Their main userbase is aging tho, and with kids going other places, their days are still limited...

Second, I simply cannot trust Facebook to not exploit this somehow for more advertising revenue (forced ads overlaying the bottom of your screen in games?), collection and sale of more personal data, or more. That's the big reason I see this as a bad thing.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#92Ch3wyPosted 3/25/2014 4:15:31 PM
arleas posted...
"Sign in to Facebook to play your games on the Zuckerberg Rift!"

f*** you... I don't have a facebook.

Ok, well that really does kill all interest in the Oculus Rift for me too. I don't use Facebook, I don't trust Facebook, I do everything in my power to actively block Facebook, and I can't imagine they're going to quietly let me play my games without trying to either shove ads in my face or send my personal data down the digital river to whomever will pay the most for it.

But I'm praying it's an early April Fool's Joke.

Yeah if they force you to connect to Facebook or some **** I'm gonna be pissed.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#93thelocalhentaiPosted 3/25/2014 4:16:18 PM
Wow, THIS is what selling out is about. 2 billion? Anyone would sell their **** for that amount.
#94KobraXZPosted 3/25/2014 4:27:56 PM
RIP Oculus. I hardly knew ye.
#95doraemonllh1989Posted 3/25/2014 4:32:09 PM
lol facebook dont give a crap about you gamers,what can you do anyway?XD
---
I like good games
#96Genericgamer667Posted 3/25/2014 4:33:58 PM
Google won't mess with youtube, it will be the same as it always was!!!
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767 NNID: Seadrake
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666
#97SudiekenPosted 3/25/2014 4:35:06 PM
My intent when backing the campaign was that Oculus would be used for gaming. Undoubtedly, gaming will no longer be a priority in the hands of Facebook. This is sad news.
#98KabtheMentatPosted 3/25/2014 4:36:45 PM
Did anyone seriously think this Oculus Rift stuff was actually going to become the "next big thing"? I mean seriously.

It's as gimmicky as motion controls.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.
#99Genericgamer667Posted 3/25/2014 4:36:45 PM
I checked the kickstarter page

yes, the backers are PISSED
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767 NNID: Seadrake
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666
#100Cloudzer00Posted 3/25/2014 4:36:47 PM
So, is it Sony master race now?