This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We are being weaned onto DLC, micro-transactions and 'F2P'.

#1ZombieAkanePosted 3/25/2014 3:02:27 PM
Take a stroll through Korean/Chinese online games, particularly MMORPG's and you'll realize that 'Pay for Advantages' (I don't throw the term Pay to Win around loosely) are the norm there. They as a culture expect it from games, they do not argue or fight against it, instead they go into a game expecting it. They have been raised with those methods and as such have accepted it as the norm.

Now this type of thing doesn't fly with us Westerners (or at least, it never used to). The norm to us, is buying a game at full price and expecting to get everything attainable in the game. This is a big contrast, because we expect everything for a $60 purchase, where as they either pay $60 and then expect to have to fork over more cash to be able to do everything in game, or they invest in a so-called 'free to play' game and end up forking over cash intentionally.

I fear the same is happening to Western gamers, albeit slowly over time. More and more micro-transactions are being implemented into our games and soon it will become the norm here as well.

We still fight it, looking at the number of people who refuse to buy MGS: GZ out of principle claiming it's a 'glorified demo'.

Another case is the massive backlash Resident Evil 6 had when gamers found out about on disc DLC, content already made on the disk being sold as a standalone addition. There are many more, the Dead Rising $5 DLC backlash, COD players claiming the Map DLC is a scam etc.

Just google 'DLC scam' and you'll have enough content to keep you busy for a year.

My fear is, that future generations will come to accept this without resistance.

Your thoughts?
---
[b]Should have named it the Xbox 720p, because when you see the pixels you turn 720 degrees and burn to death as you walk away.[/b]
#2Orestes417Posted 3/25/2014 3:04:07 PM
I think as long as I still have a functioning brain I'm going to be making decisions about a product's value to me based on it's own merits and not worrying about the delivery methods.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#3codyorrPosted 3/25/2014 4:19:11 PM
Get used to it. I wasn't onto Steam until I was forced to be.
#4g7g7g7g7Posted 3/25/2014 4:25:29 PM
codyorr posted...
Get used to it. I wasn't onto Steam until I was forced to be.

Yeah I remember the day gaben himself came round pointing a shotgun at my family and forced me to register online for HL2, It was so much harder to enjoy the game with my wife and sons crying in the background and gaben shouting at me for not playing it fast enough, I imagine release day was busy for him so I understood the stress level he was at.

Oh wait that didn't actually happen, valve never went round and "FORCED" you to play or register a game, you chose to, now accept your choices and say "actually I decided to join steam to play games but I prefer to tell people I was forced to because then people think I have some kind of moral code".
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo
#5TimePharaohPosted 3/25/2014 4:35:58 PM
Who cares? If you don't want to buy it don't buy it problem solved
#6KabtheMentatPosted 3/25/2014 4:38:13 PM
TimePharaoh posted...

Way to be shortsighted. But not surprisingly either.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.
#7Jprime666Posted 3/25/2014 4:39:35 PM
TimePharaoh posted...

it is this complacency that has let the industry slip into the mess it has become.
---
Stay away from the Summoner!
#8Viking_MudcrapPosted 3/25/2014 4:41:41 PM
I always use the example of new games.

Most times you will see people discussing the DLC for a game the day it came out.
---
4484-8357-2700
Trainer Name: Saga
#9rpgianPosted 3/25/2014 4:43:14 PM
Time for little baby consumer to sink his teeth into a toxic teat and buy only good things sold in good ways. Or just help the problem grow by not changing his behavior regardless to the other parties changes but still somewhere deep down feel good about not liking it.
#10MadoifPosted 3/25/2014 5:07:51 PM
Jprime666 posted...
TimePharaoh posted...

it is this complacency that has let the industry slip into the mess it has become.

Yep. People don't realize that their shortsightedness when it comes to purchases does affect everyone else.

I can sit here and not buy a lot of games (like I have been doing) but tell me timepharoah, what will that accomplish? I'd rather people read my expressed opinion than sit by idly while everyone takes it in the rear with DLC, Microtransactions and high priced map/character packs. I may not accomplish much but it's better than nothing.
---
Monster Hunter Usernames:
Fidelis HR20-PS2 data;Madoif HR9-PS3 data