This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long do Gaming Laptops usually last?

#1Cocopups0Posted 3/25/2014 5:48:20 PM
I have a Lenovo Y580 , and the only real hardware problem i've had with it is the fact that one of the USB 2.0 ports stopped working 8 months ago. I plan on getting a desktop in the future but for now I was wondering if there is a general life expectancy i can expect.

Notes:
- I use Lenovo Dynamic Graphics(Aka highest power setting) when gaming. When not gaming i usually keep it on Balanced, or Powersaver

- I have my Laptop hooked to a cooling pad with a fan, that actually keeps it pretty cool even when heavy gaming.

- Most of the time, the laptop is hooked via cable

- The last time I cleaned the inside of my laptop was 5 months ago. for this I had take out my keyboard and get rid of dust myself since i couldn't find any air compressioners at the time.
#2TimePharaohPosted 3/25/2014 5:56:33 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3Lemur_HPosted 3/25/2014 5:59:25 PM
1 hour to 10 years.

Can't really put an expiration date on it. Too many variables.

How long it will last as in, the hardware remains relevant and is capable of running games on decent settings and with acceptable performance levels?

Or the lifespan of the actual hardware?

Both are a bit of a crapshoot. One being impossible to estimate and the other being asked while the new PlayStation and Xbox already on store shelves.

My experience with gaming laptops resulted in a dying HDD. Bad head, apparently. Drive was struggling to read or write. Game load times increased massively and larger games like ARMA 2 would fail to load animations, models, and textures. Replacing the mechanical HDD with a new SSD was glorious.

My other experience is a dying GPU fan. Because that particular model of laptop didn't offer any real way to properly dust cooling system for the GPU... Without ripping the chassis open.

Just take care of it as best you can, and when it goes out, try to remain calm and remember life is too short to take the death of your laptop too seriously.
#4popping4itPosted 3/25/2014 6:04:55 PM
i got a asus g73 in 2010 the 'q' key stopped responding after 2 years, it also overheats during summer but I have a cooling mat which prevents it from doing so now.

i got a laptop because i needed to be able to transport it easier than a desktop.

I did recently build a computer though.
---
whens mahvel?
#5iammaxhailmePosted 3/25/2014 6:07:32 PM
I've had three such laptops. The first one still works fine, but is outdated. The second one gets about 30% as many FPS as it did when it was new.

It depends on the manufacturer, and luck.
---
Best weapon combo in tf2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUWPbS4450&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.last.fm/user/iammax
#6halomonkey1_3_5Posted 3/25/2014 6:12:53 PM
my dell laptop from 2007 still works even with about 4 1/2 years of heavy use(used as my main gaming PC)

meanwhile my cousins laptop from 2009 broke within 18 months with only light use

point is that there really isnt any sure fire expiration date. If you get a good one and take care of it, it'll last until its so outdated you wont want to use it anymore. If you buy the cheapest ones available and treat them like dirt, they're gonna break pretty quick however.

I'd say 2-3 years is the "average" lifespan of the parts(or rather, the amount of time before something important fails). Give or take a year depending on how you treat it.

Obviously you could get lucky like me or unlucky like my cousin though.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#7_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 3/25/2014 6:29:20 PM
My Alienware laptop has been going strong for nearly two years now.
---
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x|iPad Air
http://i.imgur.com/j8vZrBQ.jpg
#8SilentHawk29Posted 3/25/2014 6:59:48 PM
popping4it posted...
i got a asus g73 in 2010 the 'q' key stopped responding after 2 years, it also overheats during summer but I have a cooling mat which prevents it from doing so now.

i got a laptop because i needed to be able to transport it easier than a desktop.

You need to repaste the GPU. ASUS is terrible at this right from the get go. When I had my G73, The Witcher 2 would do a thermal shutdown within 5 minutes. Repasting and cleaning out the vents (dust can create a wall preventing air from escaping) and I went from 105+ under load to 80.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#9popping4itPosted 3/27/2014 3:00:48 AM
SilentHawk29 posted...
popping4it posted...

You need to repaste the GPU. ASUS is terrible at this right from the get go. When I had my G73, The Witcher 2 would do a thermal shutdown within 5 minutes. Repasting and cleaning out the vents (dust can create a wall preventing air from escaping) and I went from 105+ under load to 80.

ya i pretty much figure that but i dont really use it for gaming anymore and its quite a bit of work to disasemble.
---
whens mahvel?
#10SilentHawk29Posted 3/27/2014 8:11:24 AM
Yes, I know. Took me 40 minutes the first time. Took it apart 2 more times after that (once because I lost a fan screw to find out it was rattling around inside...) and it came apart much quicker. The hardest parts for me were removing the keyboard the first time (I ended up getting a new one through warranty lol, original got bent to hell from all the glue), and the stupid small cable that you have to be very careful with when unplugging. I forget what that went to, speakers I think. Other than that, it's just a bunch of screws you have to remember where they went to. I used the plate you have to remove from the bottom first as a tray to hold and separate the screws, there's only 3 types I believe.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg