This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Completely revamped my game's (Spark Rising) art style, check it out!

#11Cpazrun(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 9:31:37 AM
DetectivPenguin posted...
I like it! Looks very similar to those open world fps rpgs that the names are just like 3089 or w/e. You don't make those do you?

Nope, sorry to disappoint. The game is also not open-world, per se. It will have procedurally generated maps that you can build on, but it's not persistent open-world.
---
Working on a voxel-based sandbox strategy game! Check it out at sparkrising.com
#12Cpazrun(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 9:33:17 AM
wizardmon posted...
The new lighting and coloring really makes everything look a lot more wonderful. Might look really cool with some mild atmospherics like lightshaft rays and fog.

We'll think about putting in some lightshaft rays. It already has colored fog, which we spent a good chunk of time experimenting with. Right now the level is suited to very subtle fog, but if we were to do another, darker level, we might bring in some heavier fog effects.

Thanks for the positive vibes everyone!
---
#13ElDudorinoPosted 3/26/2014 3:34:37 PM
I honestly like both looks pretty much equivalently. If anything, it would even make sense to me for them to be two levels in the same game, or maybe one would be a pre-apocalypse look and the other would be post-apocalypse. The "after" album did give me a slight feeling that certain things would blend in too much with the background as it has a less varied palette, but as long as the stuff that matters (enemies, items, etc) all moves I don't imagine it would be a major issue.
#14Cpazrun(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 5:35:41 PM
ElDudorino posted...
I honestly like both looks pretty much equivalently. If anything, it would even make sense to me for them to be two levels in the same game, or maybe one would be a pre-apocalypse look and the other would be post-apocalypse. The "after" album did give me a slight feeling that certain things would blend in too much with the background as it has a less varied palette, but as long as the stuff that matters (enemies, items, etc) all moves I don't imagine it would be a major issue.

I don't know if you could tell from just the screenshots, but we had some major inconsistencies within the first iteration of the art style. Our decoration objects would range from a sci-fi billboard to a 18th century-style fence and it was all over the place. We can still bring back the brighter colors, but we wanted to tighten up our world's consistency first and foremost.
---
#15Surprise_CactusPosted 3/26/2014 5:40:12 PM
Did you implement raw input yet?
---
The Windmill the Second is not just for show!
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9106/windmill2ndshl.jpg
#16Cpazrun(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 12:18:00 PM
Surprise_Cactus posted...
Did you implement raw input yet?

Not yet, although we did add an option for V-sync and inverted mouse configs
---
#17-CJF-Posted 3/27/2014 12:19:18 PM
I like it, doesn't look anything like a Minecraft clone now.
#18blax34dmPosted 3/27/2014 12:28:33 PM
I like both tbh
#19ElDudorinoPosted 3/27/2014 4:27:09 PM
No, I couldn't really see the inconsistency from the screenshots; I definitely didn't see any 18th century fences! I haven't seen the videos though so I was only going by the pictures. The original screenshots actually look semi-believable to me as like a futuristic metropolis where you have a lot of pavement and futuristic buildings and then small squared-off green spaces. It really gives me a Sonic Adventures kinda vibe, or it could be the first planet from Starfox. With the robots and gun arm it also looks like it could be a Mega Man world.

I don't have a useful opinion to put forth about the set pieces since I haven't seen enough but it's definitely an aesthetic I wouldn't mind looking at for a good while as long as the gameplay is good.