This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Offline mode for Sim City released

#31GynthaeresPosted 3/26/2014 9:13:37 PM
Bossdog421 posted...
Gynthaeres posted...
BlackMantis posted...
I think I'll stick with Banished.

EA can piss off.

It's great, because the city sizes in Banished, an indie title made by one guy, are significantly larger than the city sizes in SimCity 5, a triple-A game made by a large team with a ton of funding.
And it has a better / more complex simulation of citizens, too.

lmao you really believe that dont you? Please tell me, what was your highest population on banished?

Bigger map does not mean more complex at all. You obviously haven't played the new SimCity if you think banished is more complex at all. Banished was extremely fun but comparing the 2 is laughable.

More on topic... The City size and online requirement never bothered me. It felt more like a city sim at this size. Don't get me wrong i loved the size of the maps in the older SimCity titles but it felt more like a county, state or even country sim with the old sizes.

You're confusing things. I didn't say SimCity 5 was less complex than Banished (though an argument for that certainly could be made). I said Banished's citizen simulation is more complex than SimCity 5's.

What I mean is this:
Do you know how SimCity 5's citizens are modeled? They're basically just a resource, like power and water. They don't have specific jobs. They don't have specific needs. They don't have specific homes. They go to the closest home/job/shop that's vacant, and when that fills up, they go to the next. And heck, workers and shoppers aren't even the same people; they're two different types of Sims. So you won't have Mike Sim go to work, come home, and then go out for burgers. You'll never see that happen. This is a far cry from the original promise of individual sims being simulated within the game.

So now compare that to Banished. Specific homes? Check. Specific jobs? Check. Specific needs? Check. Personal inventories? Check. Like Tropico, you can theoretically watch someone from the day they're born. Watch them go grow up, go through school, take a job, get married, have kids, and die.
The only thing I'd really complain about is the lack of a family tree.

So yeah, Banished's citizen simulation is much more complex than SimCity 5's.

And while it's true SimCity was sort of a fun game at launch, I wouldn't say it's still a fun game. It's a game designed to review well, to be magical and amazing for the first 10-20 hours. But after that, everything falls apart. It was completely broken on launch, not just with the server issues, but with the whole "simulation" aspect. Like how, at release, you could have a 100% happy city with no power, no water, no sewage, no shopping, no jobs. Yeaaah...

Even today, it's still crippled by minuscule city sizes, despite always encouraging you to expand and build more, and horrendous traffic issues. And a "region" feature that doesn't really work that well or that consistently.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#32RosencroitzPosted 3/27/2014 9:22:17 AM
Loshadt posted...
The fact that it's published by the VIdeo Game equivalent of Satan?

Bobby Kotick?
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
#33LoshadtPosted 3/27/2014 11:59:00 AM(edited)
Rosencroitz posted...
Bobby Kotick?

Big Bobby just finds new and interesting ways to separate stupid people from their wallets, EA is worse in that they're an incompetent evil and consider spite a form of currency.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.