This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a wireless router that can reach over a large span..

#11SinisterSlayPosted 3/26/2014 1:00:34 PM(edited)
sonicteam2k1 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
sonicteam2k1 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Here's a funny thing everyone doesn't think of.
Just cause your router can send signals far doesn't mean your device can.

well educate me so I know what I need to do instead of patronizing me.

So say you were using a tablet.

Your tablet might pick up the signal because it's nice and powerful. but the transmitter in your tablet can't cover that range. So you end up with an access point you can't connect to because it's out of range of your tablet, even though it can see it.

You have to use repeaters instead, which basically pick up the wireless signal and repeat it in its area. Usually each time with diminished speed.

thanks. I had some idea that something like this would be the case but did not fully understand it. I appreciate the assistance.

As for the diminished speed part.

If a repeater gets 50% signal, it will repeat at 50% signal strength.
If another repeater picks that up, it will repeat it at 50% again, or 25% of the original signal. This means your speed will be cut down to 1/4 of the original speed. It's more complicated than this but I think this is a simple description.

That's assuming the repeaters were near the end of the range. The closer together the repeaters, the better they repeat.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12KillerTrufflePosted 3/26/2014 1:00:48 PM
Yeah, one big broadcast station isn't guaranteed to service the whole house - especially in terms of receiving signals. It might be able to power through walls to send, but your computers/cell phones/tablets will not likely have enough power to punch back through those walls/floors to hit the router.

The most effective solution would probably be to install a wireless repeater on every floor. You can always play around with higher gain antennas (you'll need a router that supports multiple antennas), but with that you'll either end up having to get something so powerful you'd need an FCC license and could cook popcorn with, or use directional antennas that will limit your ability to free roam around the house and still get good signal.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#13SinisterSlayPosted 3/26/2014 1:01:55 PM
sonicteam2k1 posted...
Tireseas posted...
Wifi repeaters. Little devices that you plug into a wall socket that recieve the signal from the router and rebroadcast it. Extends the range, although there is some degree of performance loss. Slightly degraded signal tends to be better than no signal though

very cool. When I move I will look into this

You can also look into power line LAN. These use the power lines in your house as network cable. So if you need to send a signal rather far, like out to a barn or garage, you can use that instead of trying to string together repeaters.
I've never actually done this though so I don't know how effective it is.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#14KillerTrufflePosted 3/26/2014 1:02:35 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
That's assuming the repeaters were near the end of the range. The closer together the repeaters, the better they repeat.

You can also improve this using higher gain antennas... He'd need to be in a pretty giant house for that to be an issue tho.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#15drinkPosted 3/26/2014 1:31:38 PM
Best options are to use a wireless repeater or powerline LAN adapter with a 2nd router.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#16TekutsoPosted 3/26/2014 1:40:59 PM
Drill a small hole through the basement floor and run the wire upstairs.
---
I'm pretty much a god, team sucks though
If I had 5 of me, we would have been season 3 world champions
#17SinisterSlayPosted 3/26/2014 1:41:42 PM
Tekutso posted...
Drill a small hole through the basement floor and run the wire upstairs.

I've run them through the air returns before.
---
#18sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 2:14:54 PM
thanks everyone. the house isn't that big. I just need the signal to go from the basement, to the first floor, mainly in the three bed rooms. one will have a roku, one a wii, and the other a PS3 and I would have a laptop floating around between bedroom, dining room and kitchen. All the hardcore stuff will be in the basement hardwired.

the house is exactly 1204 sqft. The basement has drop ceilings as well.
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#19sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 3:49:33 PM
I'm very interested in the powerline LAN adapter. I've watched a few videos, which would be the best ones to get?
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#20OreoBoy206Posted 3/27/2014 4:04:27 PM(edited)
I've been using powerline adapters for the past year and haven't had any issues with them so far.. Your mileage may vary depending on the quality of the powerline wiring in your house and if the area you need internet at uses a different circuit breaker.

Edit - I use the Netgear Powerline 500 (Model: XAVB5201). Not sure if these are close to the "best" but they have been very good to me