This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do I benefit from platinum PSUs in any way other than power saving?

#1temgunPosted 3/26/2014 1:50:35 PM
Are they somehow better quality than, say, bronze PSUs?
#2SonyHoundDawgPosted 3/26/2014 1:53:12 PM
I guess you would figure they would be more reliable and sturdy over the long term.

But I don't really think its gonna save you money. You'd probably have to run it for a number of years before you get your money back in power bill savings.
#3HydroCannabinolPosted 3/26/2014 1:55:20 PM
I thought it also meant it delivered closer to the actual wattage since less is wasted in the conversion.

Shub will know for sure.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#4DragnfyrPosted 3/26/2014 2:02:20 PM(edited)
HydroCannabinol posted...
I thought it also meant it delivered closer to the actual wattage since less is wasted in the conversion.

Shub will know for sure.

You're referring to efficiency which is covered under the power usage benefit.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#5PhilOnDezPosted 3/26/2014 2:03:00 PM
Generally speaking, a platinum rated PSU is going to be very high quality in every aspect so it will have that going for it. Its increased efficiency means less energy is lost as heat which means lower temps inside your case allowing you to get more out of GPU boost and possibly a higher clock on your CPU (very unlikely though as the difference between a bronze and platinum unit isn't going to make -that- much of a difference unless you have a tiny, tiny case).
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6temgun(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 2:08:41 PM
I don't know if they have anything to do with each other, do do platinum rated PSUs generally have less coil whining? The reason I'm asking this is I've had multiple gold rated PSUs and each of them have had annoying coil whine.
#7r0ge00Posted 3/26/2014 2:11:41 PM
That's a problem with the specific model usually. I can tell you that my Kingwin AP-550 is completely silent and the fan hardly ever turns on.