This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

KickStarter, supporters of Occulus Rift. Demanding Refund

#31therickmu25Posted 3/26/2014 6:00:13 PM
This was inevitable
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
#32CELTEKKPosted 3/26/2014 6:01:51 PM
no where does it say "you get your money back when a gigantic corporation buys what you donated to"

you're the one taking the risk donating.
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
#33akuma634Posted 3/26/2014 6:04:41 PM
neroAngelo posted...
KaiRyusaki posted...
2lazy2read

Why do they want refund?

Because they're entitled cry babies.

Keep thinking that. Average people pledged up to hundreds of dollars for the crowd funding project. Kickstarter isn't a donation or investment, you are pledging money for goods upon the project reaching it's funding goal. The problem is that with all the millions this company raised from the public and private investors post KS, they turn around and accept a buy out for 2 billion dollars. They no longer need the crowd funded money. The people who pledged got dicked over because a major corporation suddenly saw potential in the company after all the successes and hype from their ambitious indie project.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#34CELTEKKPosted 3/26/2014 6:07:22 PM
akuma634 posted...
neroAngelo posted...
KaiRyusaki posted...
2lazy2read

Why do they want refund?

Because they're entitled cry babies.

Keep thinking that. Average people pledged up to hundreds of dollars for the crowd funding project. Kickstarter isn't a donation or investment, you are pledging money for goods upon the project reaching it's funding goal. The problem is that with all the millions this company raised from the public and private investors post KS, they turn around and accept a buy out for 2 billion dollars. They no longer need the crowd funded money. The people who pledged got dicked over because a major corporation suddenly saw potential in the company after all the successes and hype from their ambitious indie project.

aaaaaaaaaand without all the KS funds they wouldn't have gotten to the point they're at now, so this argument is moot.

congratulations, you just made them money, which you were doing by giving them donations in the first place. looks like you're going to get the product faster due to the fact that billions of dollars are now going into it.
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
#35aak57Posted 3/26/2014 6:14:25 PM
I think the main issue is that there's technically nothing legitimate to complain about at this point to the point of demanding a refund. It's mainly pessimism driving the idea that Oculus is now ruined and their money was wasted. I'm sure Mark is going to have the OR guys make it useful to facebook in some way, but there's nothing saying that OR will no longer function as it was going to.

For all we know, he's trying to turn Facebook into a holding company or something and sees this as a good early investment. Or maybe he is indeed the spawn of satan and will turn it into a farmville-only device that collects info for the NSA. We don't really know.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#36TheSmilingLordPosted 3/26/2014 6:19:48 PM
I'll say this and leave.

Facebook is probably the one thing going to save Occulus. Microsoft and Sony are working on their own projects and would bury Rift through adverts, buyouts, exclusives, etc. It needs some serious financial backing in order to survive in the mainstream.
---
Gamertag: Ragnarok
#37Roris0APosted 3/26/2014 6:21:02 PM
People do have a right to demand a refund. Their funds have so far have only been used to help Oculus be nothing more than an investment for one of the biggest corporations in the world which is an insult.

Oculus should've been honest about how committed they were about their project and just went straight to Facebook in the first place. But of course they couldn't do that without the support from the average joe.

TLDR: First they sell it to the people pretending to be the holy grail of independent revolution in VR, then they sell it to a corporation when they feel insecure about their nevertheless more appealing project when it catches the eye from a group that they were pretending to never be interested in.
#38BrokenChaos666Posted 3/26/2014 6:21:06 PM
I don't blame them. The entire situation looks like a small company raised money to create something and then jumped ship with $2 billion in their pockets. I'd want my money back. It's Facebook for crying out loud, the potential for the product has vanished overnight. The people have every right to be angry.
#39LoshadtPosted 3/26/2014 6:23:07 PM
TheSmilingLord posted...
I'll say this and leave.

Facebook is probably the one thing going to save Occulus. Microsoft and Sony are working on their own projects and would bury Rift through adverts, buyouts, exclusives, etc. It needs some serious financial backing in order to survive in the mainstream.

The oculus already had the one thing neither Microsoft or Sony could replicate, and that's being open-ended. Valve is pretty much our last hope in this regard since if they were to dabble in this kind of thing they would allow the users to do what they want with it rather than locking it to certain hardware/software.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#40YoungAdultLinkPosted 3/26/2014 6:26:29 PM
On the topic of Kickstarter's ToU? Those don't stand up in court. The only court in the US that ever accepted a breach of ToU as a legal grievance was after a girl was bullied over facebook or myspace to the point of suicide. If you read a site's ToU, the repercussions for breaking the rules are that you're no longer allowed to use the website. So, if OR breaks the rules... they can never make another Kickstarter. That's all that can be done to them for violating the ToU.
---
One day, when I am too old for adventuring, I will settle down and open up a little armor shop called, "Victorious Secret."