This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

KickStarter, supporters of Occulus Rift. Demanding Refund

#41Roris0APosted 3/26/2014 7:27:26 PM
Loshadt posted...
TheSmilingLord posted...
I'll say this and leave.

Facebook is probably the one thing going to save Occulus. Microsoft and Sony are working on their own projects and would bury Rift through adverts, buyouts, exclusives, etc. It needs some serious financial backing in order to survive in the mainstream.

The oculus already had the one thing neither Microsoft or Sony could replicate, and that's being open-ended. Valve is pretty much our last hope in this regard since if they were to dabble in this kind of thing they would allow the users to do what they want with it rather than locking it to certain hardware/software.

This is it. Everything made with "morpheus" will be limited to relative small userbase of PS4, unlike the oculus which would've worked on pc's and mobile.
#42R i c kPosted 3/26/2014 7:37:10 PM
LOL, "backers" need to get a clue. You donate money to a for-profit venture and if the person is successful then they reap the rewards while you get no return. Well guess what? The Rift turned a profit before it was even released. Guess what else? You aren't due any return because it was a donation, not an investment.

Kids these days might know the value of a dollar but they fail to understand the value of risk. That's what an investment is. You risk your money and if the risk pays off, you get a return on your investment. In other words, your dollar ends up being worth more than it's face value. Kickstarters are all the risk of an investment with none of the returns. They got what they paid for.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded, Hearthstone and others.
#43PraetorXynPosted 3/26/2014 7:49:02 PM
Kickstarter is pretty much the only way a game can get made these days without being whored out to casuals and the mass market. So it's really stupid to call kickstarter backers idiots when they're trying to help create something that isn't ruined by greedy mega publishers and AAA devs.

I haven't backed anything, but I have a lot of respect for people that do.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#44Roris0APosted 3/26/2014 8:32:38 PM(edited)
It's funny how people are resorting to name calling when they're just making an appeal to authority, and in this case it being facebook, when everyone knows it's well within Oculus's right to sell to Facebook.

The point is it doesn't make it any less douchey or contradictory to what they were first selling themselves to be: which was to be a open-ended independant revolution in VR. Which is why they went to the average joe for funding in the first place.

To sum it up in one sentence: People just helped Oculus become an investment for facebook.

They have not helped an independent company become the revolution in VR like oculus hyped themselves up to be.

Why didn't oculus just go to facebook in the first place instead of first grabbing funds from the average joe?
#45Born LuckyPosted 3/26/2014 8:01:29 PM
neroAngelo posted...
KaiRyusaki posted...
2lazy2read

Why do they want refund?

Because they're entitled cry babies.

Wait a minute . . . don't you have that backwards/?
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#46aak57Posted 3/26/2014 8:01:47 PM
Roris0A posted...
Why didn't oculus just go to facebook in the first place instead of first grabbing funds from the average joe?

because they weren't in a state that anyone would drop $2 billion?
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#47pez2k_Posted 3/26/2014 8:01:51 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Except it's not an actual investment. It's a donation.

This means I could go on Kickstarter, get something started, and never deliver on that promise and there's not a whole lot anyone can do about it.

This is why I don't support stuff on Kickstarter, or even Early Access crap on Steam.

I don't see why more people don't use World of Mass Development, it's like Kickstarter except the backers actually get a slice of the pie when profits start coming in. If Oculus had been a WMD project instead of Kickstarter, all of its backers would be getting 8000 times their initial pledge in return. Of course, that would be good for the backers but Kickstarter is better for Oculus themselves - they got startup capital to develop a business they could sell for billions with no obligations.
---
Fixing Turn10's omissions since 2007, and Playground Games' since 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/user/pez2k
#48DoomkillaPosted 3/26/2014 8:07:24 PM
Ch3wy posted...
They're not entitled to a refund, but I certainly see why they would want one. Nobody would have donated to a kickstarter that was made by Facebook.

---
"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
Moiraine Damodred
#49aaron1111Posted 3/26/2014 8:08:43 PM
pez2k_ posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
Except it's not an actual investment. It's a donation.

This means I could go on Kickstarter, get something started, and never deliver on that promise and there's not a whole lot anyone can do about it.

This is why I don't support stuff on Kickstarter, or even Early Access crap on Steam.

I don't see why more people don't use World of Mass Development, it's like Kickstarter except the backers actually get a slice of the pie when profits start coming in. If Oculus had been a WMD project instead of Kickstarter, all of its backers would be getting 8000 times their initial pledge in return. Of course, that would be good for the backers but Kickstarter is better for Oculus themselves - they got startup capital to develop a business they could sell for billions with no obligations.

Yep. Tell em we're honest and caring about our product then a few months later take the billions and run. We've even been in talks with Facebook for over 6 months.

Muhahaha. / World we live in<3
#50DaedalusExPosted 3/26/2014 8:20:15 PM(edited)
Good, now maybe people will wise up to the shortcomings of crowdsourcing. I only hope something similar happens to the early access model.

Relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSR3h1wUoS8