This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

KickStarter, supporters of Occulus Rift. Demanding Refund

#51Kungfu KenobiPosted 3/26/2014 8:18:23 PM
I think a refund should issued (and then some) for PR reasons. A lot of people quite rightly feel the situation is not what they signed on for, and I think it's appropriate on a moral basis for them to get something back from this.

I forget how the saying goes exactly, "It's easier to behave poorly in a civilized society, because in an uncivilized society one risks having their heads bashed in." While I think it's a stretch to say the Oculus Rift people deserve to have their heads bashed in over this, I definitely appreciate the sentiment that there should be some recourse over this. I definitely think people being legalistic about what's owed to backers are missing some of the point. For that matter, maybe it's wrong that what they did is legal, and I can see Kickstarter possibly amending its ToS over this (like when they implemented the Risks and Challenges section).
---
Check out www.axemurderingworms.com . And remember kids: Sound isn't music, Books aren't stories, This is not a pipe, and The medium is the message.
#52TalesOfGodPosted 3/26/2014 8:19:18 PM
Frankly, I'm not surprised.

Also, this isn't a donation which some brats may be saying on this site. This is an investment in which you will gain one of the rewards if they succeed depending on how much you put in.

Using Kickstarter isn't like giving to charity but it is expecting something back from the development team in which they've promised you.

After what the Oculus VR team did, I am not surprised that these people want their money back.
It's simply despicable.
#53Silver Shadow XPosted 3/26/2014 8:27:57 PM
I'm overwhelmingly happy that I didn't donate anything to Oculus Rift now. Can't believe they would do that. I'm not even sure why Facebook would buy something like that though.
---
I suppose I should probably update this signature soon.
#54drinkPosted 3/26/2014 8:32:47 PM
I think the issue is Kickstarter neither a donation or investment. Kickstarter says its a pledge. As long as the they fulfill what was on the kickstarter page, legally no refund is warranted. Another thing on the kicstarted page is that the creators keep 100% ownership of their work. Meaning they can do with it what they want after fulfilling the page.

While is sucks what happen, not much can be done.

Also Facebook buying Occulus Rift does not mean Occulus Rift will not still turn into what was promised.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#55SlaynPosted 3/26/2014 8:42:46 PM
With all the money from Facebook, the money from Kickstarter isn't needed.

Without the money from Kickstarter, they wouldn't have been picked up by Facebook.

I really liked the idea of Kickstarter, but now I am kind of against it. It feels like it just isn't working out as intended. I think a lot of the big companies are just pissed and trying to ruin it. Remember Might No. 9, the Megaman homage? The creator straight up said that if Capcom wanted to publish it he would not be against it. So what is to stop big companies from using Kickstarter to do their dirty work, see if the project gets funded, then come sweep in?

This way they don't need to spend their own money to find out whether people like an idea. Oh we didn't think people wanted another Megaman, but we see that Might No. 9 funded well, let's buy it up and re-brand it Megaman! It's like a no risk investment, let other people do the research for you...
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#56Silver Shadow XPosted 3/26/2014 9:05:48 PM
Slayn posted...
This way they don't need to spend their own money to find out whether people like an idea. Oh we didn't think people wanted another Megaman, but we see that Might No. 9 funded well, let's buy it up and re-brand it Megaman! It's like a no risk investment, let other people do the research for you...

Then Kickstarter needs to include some new rules that basically amount to the developers being legally required to refund the project money to all donators at their request in the event that they sell the rights to their product to a larger company. Of course, if the donation gets them the game/product free on launch with benefits or something - as in the case of Star Citizen, for example - then they could choose not to take a refund (or at least not a full refund).

This way the only people that suffer are the companies if they jump in after everything is said and done, and even their losses should be trivial with the amount of funding a kickstarter game would typically receive. Of course, this seems logical to me, but I don't suppose it ever can or will work that way.
---
I suppose I should probably update this signature soon.
#57Reginleif20Posted 3/26/2014 9:21:46 PM
I don't care about my $100 anymore, **** this ****, I'm through with KS. I just hope Inafune delivers with MN9
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#58ShadowThaReaperPosted 3/26/2014 9:24:38 PM
Don't

Link

To

Kotaku
#59pigkiller_77Posted 3/26/2014 9:55:44 PM(edited)
aak57 posted...
Roris0A posted...
Why didn't oculus just go to facebook in the first place instead of first grabbing funds from the average joe?

because they weren't in a state that anyone would drop $2 billion?

Hmm. Asking Mark Z. to help you get an idea off the ground. Ask the last guys how well that worked out for them.
---
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and have their shoes.
#60shdwdrgnixPosted 3/26/2014 9:57:13 PM
why is this even a problem? You will still get the OR exactly as promised, it's not like they will just cancel the entire thing or give everyone a View-Master instead.