This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

KickStarter, supporters of Occulus Rift. Demanding Refund

#71TJSpykePosted 3/26/2014 10:29:09 PM
"But Kickstarter is some magical fantasy land where people just get free money with no accountability."

Kickstarter is quite clear, you VOLUNTARILY donate the money. You only get a refund if the product fails to get delivered. The company being bought by another company does not entitle you to a refund. If I buy a game from Capcom, then Capcom gets bought by Sony, I am not entitled to a refund just because I don't like the new owner. Same thing. As long as Oculus Rift gets released, they can't get a refund. Doesn't matter though since Oculus Rift was never gonna be anything except a niche product
---
Wii ID code: 4338 5973 3223 4003
AC: CF Tim Spyke 3480-6279-5331
#72phantasyPosted 3/26/2014 10:33:53 PM
Step inside your favorite game.

Oculus Rift is a new virtual reality (VR) headset designed specifically for video games that will change the way you think about gaming forever. With an incredibly wide field of view, high resolution display, and ultra-low latency head tracking, the Rift provides a truly immersive experience that allows you to step inside your favorite game and explore new worlds like never before.

We're here raising money on Kickstarter to build development kits of the Rift, so we can get them into the hands of developers faster. Kickstarter has proven to be an amazing platform for accelerating big and small ideas alike. We hope you share our excitement about virtual reality, the Rift, and the future of gaming.

Designed for gamers, by gamers.

The Rift takes 3D gaming to the next level. There are a number of VR headsets out there, but none that deliver a truly immersive gaming experience. Most products either lack the technical features required for believable immersion or sit at a very high price-point ($20,000+) reserved for the military or scientific community.

We set out to change all that with the Rift, which is designed to maximize immersion, comfort, and pure, uninhibited fun, at a price everyone can afford.

That is what is on the oculus kickstarter page. Gamers first and a lot of people fear that with facebook buying oculus out, it will be, everything else first and gaming a distant second.
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#73aaron1111Posted 3/26/2014 10:52:08 PM(edited)
TJSpyke posted...
They have no case, period. The product will be made. Those fans are whiny little brats, and that Minecraft creator is the biggest brat of them all.

I agree. But remember just by reading Reddit alone it seems this front will have a lot of people demanding their money back. I think it'd be good PR/Curteousy to give back the donater's droplet of water, seeing as it's a water tower now.

But yeah if lawsuits are filed they won't win in court.
#74FlyinTonitePosted 3/26/2014 10:53:00 PM
As long as Occulus Rift gets released in some capacity as promised, the backers deserve no refund.
---
Sony fanboys are the most annoying, Nintendo fanboys are the most ignorant and Microsoft fanboys are adorable because they think they're people.
#75R i c kPosted 3/26/2014 10:54:49 PM
TJSpyke posted...
"But Kickstarter is some magical fantasy land where people just get free money with no accountability."
Kickstarter is quite clear, you VOLUNTARILY donate the money. You only get a refund if the product fails to get delivered.

Nope! You only get a refund if the Kickstarter fails to meet it's primary monetary goal. If the primary goal isn't met, everyone gets back their donation. If the primary goal is met then your money is gone forever, regardless of whether the project gets finished or not.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded, Hearthstone and others.
#76Spectral_CloudPosted 3/26/2014 11:03:32 PM
I understand people being against facebook buying the rift but the only way i can see legal action being able to brought up against them is if the people who pledged money for the product didn't get what they actually pledged for which seems to have been delivered.

If there is a tier that was for a full finished project then that would be an entirely different thing since they would no longer be delivering on what they promised and what people payed for. It comes down to if people got what they paid for, if they paid for the dev kits/prototypes and not for an eventual finished project they're out of luck.

Heck for all we know it could be fine, with facebook's funds to use the rift could turn into an amazing gaming beast. I mean it won't, but at least we should wait to see, all we have so far is a rebranding which doesn't change the product in the least.
---
(V)0-0(V) This is Mudcrab. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him achieve world Domination.
#77Reginleif20Posted 3/26/2014 11:08:08 PM
phantasy posted...
Step inside your favorite game.

Oculus Rift is a new virtual reality (VR) headset designed specifically for video games that will change the way you think about gaming forever. With an incredibly wide field of view, high resolution display, and ultra-low latency head tracking, the Rift provides a truly immersive experience that allows you to step inside your favorite game and explore new worlds like never before.

We're here raising money on Kickstarter to build development kits of the Rift, so we can get them into the hands of developers faster. Kickstarter has proven to be an amazing platform for accelerating big and small ideas alike. We hope you share our excitement about virtual reality, the Rift, and the future of gaming.

Designed for gamers, by gamers.

The Rift takes 3D gaming to the next level. There are a number of VR headsets out there, but none that deliver a truly immersive gaming experience. Most products either lack the technical features required for believable immersion or sit at a very high price-point ($20,000+) reserved for the military or scientific community.

We set out to change all that with the Rift, which is designed to maximize immersion, comfort, and pure, uninhibited fun, at a price everyone can afford.

That is what is on the oculus kickstarter page. Gamers first and a lot of people fear that with facebook buying oculus out, it will be, everything else first and gaming a distant second.

What are you talking about? Virtual candy crush has always been the future of gaming
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#78Binba442Posted 3/26/2014 11:14:41 PM(edited)
I'm just disheartened that they didn't ask the backers. But Facebook probably wouldn't have let them.

Anyway, if any giant cooperation has the money to make sword art online, it's Facebook.

Valve were big on this, I don't think they've said anything yet...
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#79aaron1111Posted 3/26/2014 11:18:03 PM
Binba442 posted...
I'm just disheartened that they didn't ask the backers. But Facebook probably wouldn't have let them.

Anyway, if any giant cooperation has the money to make sword art online, it's Facebook.

Valve were big on this, I don't think they've said anything yet...

People have been praying to Lord Gaben. Let him hear our pleas.
#80LaManoNeraIIPosted 3/26/2014 11:21:50 PM
TJSpyke posted...

Kickstarter is quite clear, you VOLUNTARILY donate the money. You only get a refund if the product fails to get delivered. The company being bought by another company does not entitle you to a refund. If I buy a game from Capcom, then Capcom gets bought by Sony, I am not entitled to a refund just because I don't like the new owner. Same thing. As long as Oculus Rift gets released, they can't get a refund. Doesn't matter though since Oculus Rift was never gonna be anything except a niche product

I'm speaking about the real world. Something like this would likely be a breach of contract and most definitely a conflict on interest. Investors would want their money back
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009