This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Crisis is so hard to run

#1LootmanPosted 3/26/2014 4:36:21 PM
What were the PC specs of the PCs they made it on? ._.
---
\(._.)/ Hi, my name is Lootman!
._.)/ http://i.imgur.com/KyOOLwU.jpg
#2KabtheMentatPosted 3/26/2014 4:38:30 PM(edited)
Workstations are considerably more powerful than most gaming PCs. Also, like most PC games, it was probably terribly optimized.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.
#3LoshadtPosted 3/26/2014 4:38:37 PM
Probably the top-tier hardware available at the time.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#4GTL581Posted 3/26/2014 4:39:57 PM
just because you can make something on a machine does not mean it's optimized to run well, which was primarily the problem. that said, i wouldn't doubt it if companies have extremely expensive computers that they develop games on, which would be impractical price-wise for a consumer to go out and build/buy
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#5Orestes417Posted 3/26/2014 4:41:26 PM
You want something that'll blow your mind? Think about how new processor architectures are designed and tested on current tech.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#61337toothbrushPosted 3/26/2014 4:42:27 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Workstations are considerably more powerful than most gaming PCs. Also, like most PC games, it was probably terribly optimized.

Yeah, it was so terribly optimized that it stayed at the top of the graphics game years after its release, doing things that a lot of games still don't do to this day (many rigid bodies, lots of cloth physics, huge draw distance, global illumination, parallax occlusion mapping, per-object motion blur, etc).
---
------------
http://i.imgur.com/ZkQRDsR.png
#7Orestes417Posted 3/26/2014 4:44:55 PM
The word "optimized" needs to die before it becomes completely meaningless. The Crysis engine was one of the more scalable ones to date.
---
#8KabtheMentatPosted 3/26/2014 4:45:04 PM
1337toothbrush posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

Yeah, it was so terribly optimized that it stayed at the top of the graphics game years after its release, doing things that a lot of games still don't do to this day (many rigid bodies, lots of cloth physics, huge draw distance, global illumination, parallax occlusion mapping, per-object motion blur, etc).

None of that has any bearing on it being poorly optimized though. There's tons of pretty games that still run like **** on hardware that's more than able to do it.
---
Yeeaah...Somebody must've killed Darryl. Cuz that's what the guy had said.
#9Lootman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 4:49:47 PM
Orestes417 posted...
You want something that'll blow your mind? Think about how new processor architectures are designed and tested on current tech.

how does that become mind blowing?
---
\(._.)/ Hi, my name is Lootman!
._.)/ http://i.imgur.com/KyOOLwU.jpg
#10Orestes417Posted 3/26/2014 4:53:00 PM
Lootman posted...
Orestes417 posted...

how does that become mind blowing?

You're designing tech on the very machines that tech makes obsolete. They're by definition incapable of running it at full speed yet they're used to build and test it.
---