This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Theft deterrent for PC

#21Digital StormPosted 3/26/2014 5:58:37 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Could always install one of the many lojack style setups as well. Seen some really amusing cases of it catching dumb criminals with laptops.

Like the guy who remoted into his own Mac after it was stolen and managed to catch the thief?
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#22DRAGON07891230Posted 3/26/2014 5:58:44 PM
Ch3wy posted...
Just get some insurance and don't worry about it. Renters insurance in a nice neighborhood is really cheap.

This. Even if it gets stolen you'll be able to replace it.
---
_______()>===<()______........._______
[__]//P[__]======^^^^^^-------------------***** ( '_') > Uh Oh! (Unofficial Godhead of ESV boards)
#23CELTEKKPosted 3/26/2014 5:59:12 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#24Orestes417Posted 3/26/2014 6:07:59 PM(edited)
Digital Storm posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Could always install one of the many lojack style setups as well. Seen some really amusing cases of it catching dumb criminals with laptops.

Like the guy who remoted into his own Mac after it was stolen and managed to catch the thief?

Wish I could post the slideshow without getting banned. too close to 5K to asplode now.

EDIT: Oh, and whatever you do, encrypt your sensitive data. Either full drive or in a hidden file with something like truecrypt. Your hardware is replaceable, your credit rating when your ID is stolen ain't quite that easy.

---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#25BuyersRemorse55Posted 3/26/2014 6:05:58 PM
I really think the most reasonable options are:

1. Get a dog, but this might be possible in an apartment.

2. You should get renters insurance just in case. Its not exensive at all, I think when I lived in apartment 3 years ago I was paying $14 a month for it.

3. The old case appearence is a good sneaky idea.

4. IF you were willing to mod your case maybe you drill some holes in the bottom and maybe get a bike chain and attach to your desk or something.
#26PhilOnDezPosted 3/26/2014 6:23:07 PM(edited)
Some motherboards have Kensington locks on them. That'd be better than drilling a hole IMO, but the hole is probably the best bet after that if you feel the need to physically secure it.

E: Actually, a lot of cases have cutouts for water cooling tubes ( http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1311/cooler_master_haf_x_014.jpg ). You could easily run a pretty rugged chain or cable through there if yours has them.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#27ajxhPosted 3/26/2014 6:39:34 PM
Renters insurance is probably the easiest option. I paid a $108 premium for 12 months coverage and $20k coverage. Deductible's like $500, I think, but even $608 is much less than the cost of my PC.
#28PraetorXynPosted 3/26/2014 6:51:52 PM
Build your PC in a CaseLabs TH10. Sure, they could steal it but I'll bet you anything they don't bother trying.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#29SlaynPosted 3/26/2014 7:22:25 PM
I don't understand why the PC isn't bolted down like the rest of your equipment.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#30SmakkyofacePosted 3/26/2014 7:26:55 PM
take the guts out of the case and just run it lying around. make it look like garbage from a hoarders episode. works for me.
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 4770k @ 4ghz | 32GB DDR3 1866 (20GB RamDisk) | SLI Evga Gtx 780ti | lots of hdd storage