This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any way to backup programs?

#1super hotshot bowserPosted 3/26/2014 7:09:30 PM
I'm not really talking about games, but about programs like editing software. Nothing's wrong with my PC right now (no viruses, no hardware problems, etc), but in the event a harddrive fails is there any way to back up programs to an external? This is more in the case that a problem does happen, since i have student versions of programs on my computer usually those are a one time installation deal.
---
GT/PSN = KeronSHB
Official Hatchiyack of the DBRB2 360 Boards
#2Digital StormPosted 3/26/2014 7:13:07 PM
Save the executable to a usb drive I suppose, depending on the program and size. Either way, why would you want to keep outdated software barring a few specific conditions.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#3Orestes417Posted 3/26/2014 7:14:25 PM
If you've got the space I'd just do a full disk image and keep it up to date. Use something like clonezilla.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#4RavenoussdPosted 3/26/2014 7:30:02 PM
smeh its more worth it to not get a virus :p
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFJoUBP54o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9J0ok18k_8
#5fataliPosted 3/26/2014 7:49:45 PM
There are several programs to make full backups of your hard drive. I use acronis, because it's awesome.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#6super hotshot bowser(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 8:09:38 PM
Digital Storm posted...
Save the executable to a usb drive I suppose, depending on the program and size. Either way, why would you want to keep outdated software barring a few specific conditions.

I guess that could work, it might just be the re-activation of the products. I own the student version of the Adobe Production Suite CS6 (legally), it might be a bit outdated but it sure outbeats the cloud IMO.

Orestes417 posted...
If you've got the space I'd just do a full disk image and keep it up to date. Use something like clonezilla.

I'll look into that too, thanks!

Ravenoussd posted...
smeh its more worth it to not get a virus :p

Agreed, here's hoping I never get one! (Noscript, adblock, and malwarebytes do great jobs)

fatali posted...
There are several programs to make full backups of your hard drive. I use acronis, because it's awesome.

I'll keep that one in mind too, thanks!
---
GT/PSN = KeronSHB
Official Hatchiyack of the DBRB2 360 Boards
#7Kokuei05Posted 3/26/2014 8:54:06 PM
Or you know; just redownload the programs from where you got it in the first place.
---
Xeon x3220 @ 3.3Ghz [367*9] | Hyper 212 EVO | GA-EP45-UD3L | Mushkin 4GB DDR2-800 | EA-430W | 1GB 560 AC Twin Turbo II | WD 500 GB | AL1916W | G400s | HTF600-S