This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Consoles are holding gaming back".

#1harcoreblazerPosted 3/26/2014 10:33:13 PM
When it comes to stupid arguments, this takes the prize.

And no, i won't explain why it's stupid, i'll leave it for you to think it yourselves.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#2ATARIJAWAPosted 3/26/2014 10:50:54 PM
It's pretty accurate actually. The new consoles are underpowered for modern gaming. With Sony and Microsoft unwilling to take a loss on the hardware as they have done in the past the new consoles are much weaker against a modern mid-range pc than the 360 and Ps3 were against a mid-range pc of 2005/2006. As PC gaming moves towards 1440p the xbox one and ps4 struggle with 60 fps at 1080p.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 112
#3ShadowThaReaperPosted 3/26/2014 10:51:50 PM
PS4 has no games.
#4KJay489Posted 3/26/2014 10:57:21 PM
I wouldn't necessarily it's holding gaming back...just graphical advancements. A game will still play the same among all consoles, just better looking on PC.
#5FlyinTonitePosted 3/26/2014 10:58:25 PM
Games like tomb raider definitive edition are a good example of that statement being very true. I'd argue the ps4 version looks better than the pc version because the pc version is basically a quick port job. If it was built with pc in mind it would look much, much better.
---
Sony fanboys are the most annoying, Nintendo fanboys are the most ignorant and Microsoft fanboys are adorable because they think they're people.
#6DawnshadowPosted 3/26/2014 10:58:52 PM
Better graphics=higher development costs=less creativity, more bland games that play to the lowest common denominator so companies don't go bankrupt.

So, in a way, consoles are helping gaming by holding graphics back. Gameplay, fortunately, is far less hardware-intensive.
---
Pokemon X - 2664-2616-4997 - Munna, Sigilyph, Duosion - PM me!
#7LoshadtPosted 3/26/2014 11:06:12 PM(edited)
harcoreblazer posted...
When it comes to stupid arguments, this takes the prize.

And no, i won't explain why it's stupid, i'll leave it for you to think it yourselves.

You won't explain why it's stupid because you can't, meanwhile many of us can explain exactly why that statement holds true. Compare Deus Ex to Deus Ex: Invisible War. Compare Thief 2 to Thief: Deadly Shadows to Thief 2014. Compare Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim. Noticing a pattern here?

There comes a point where hardware gets so outdated as to outright hinder progress.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#8LaManoNeraIIPosted 3/26/2014 11:06:15 PM
Ya, that's why things like tessellation and 1080p 60fps are standard now- OH WAIT
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#9FlyinTonitePosted 3/26/2014 11:08:35 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
Ya, that's why things like tessellation and 1080p 60fps are standard now- OH WAIT

Dat 1080p at 45 fps and no AA doe.
---
Sony fanboys are the most annoying, Nintendo fanboys are the most ignorant and Microsoft fanboys are adorable because they think they're people.
#10DiviDudePosted 3/26/2014 11:23:07 PM
Dawnshadow posted...
Better graphics=higher development costs=less creativity, more bland games that play to the lowest common denominator so companies don't go bankrupt.

So, in a way, consoles are helping gaming by holding graphics back. Gameplay, fortunately, is far less hardware-intensive.

I think there's actually some truth to this. Games like Deus Ex and System Shock 2 looked hell hell even for their time, but that's because so many resources went into having a more flexible and reactive game world that could be interacted with in all sorts of ways. Higher fidelity graphics almost requires more static (lifeless, if you'd like) game design because it would simply be too much to have both.

That being said, Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are both old and best played on PC so I'm not sure consoles are really doing anything to promote more breathable game design.