This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Consoles are holding gaming back".

#251BlackWizardMagusPosted 3/28/2014 9:03:30 PM
PC gaming is lame.
Okay, it's lame, meaning boring, uninteresting, bland, etc. Got it. Keep this in mind for later.

It's attracts the nerdiest of nerdy gamers.
I thought that was D&D. Regardless, so what?

While this is great for community developments such as a mods
Being lame or attracting only the nerdiest gamers? Both things would not lead to a large, thriving community.

it also turns of the mainstream.
If it's lame, it's inherently unappealing, there's no reason to specify. Or are you saying the super-nerds drive off everyone else? Look, we can't even get rid of pedophiles and furries; you cannot drive people off of the internet, except old, easily-shocked ones.

Add to that the instinctive stinginess of PC gamers when it comes to controls (M/KB fir life bro!)
What, they like things that already work? Those jerks!

and graphics,
They are stingy with graphics? Either you mean they don't like fancy graphics, which is clearly wrong, or that they don't like anything but awesome graphics, but then why are so many great PC games not that pretty (aka, Minecraft)?

I honestly despise PC games slightly more than console gamers.

You despise PC games more than console gamers? Well, I despise the Toyota Prius slightly less than the New England Patriots. So do you like PC gamers and console games? Or do you hate all games, which raises all sorts of questions? What's your point?

The only reason why PC gamers think so highly of themselves these days is because the originalness of the PS1/N64/Dreamcast is no more.

What does that even mean? Are you saying PC games now are better, relative to console games? But you said they were lame and only super-nerds like them.

But the sad thing is that the console games are looking more like PC games and ending up just a poor ,mans version
Well, yes, that's actually what many people here have claimed. Were you going somewhere with this?

Was listening to this the entire time I typed this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3xQXkh8Mek

No one cares...

I couldn't help responding to this post; it's a wall of "What the hell am I look at?"
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#252josh_bPosted 3/28/2014 11:20:33 PM
Consoles are defiantly holding back pc games. With more power comes more options to innovate. Most games are developed with consoles in mind and as such the overall game design has to accommodate what ever limitations those systems have.

Compared to pc's which have massive amounts of computing power which the developers could use to developer better AI routines, Massive game worlds with no loading limitations, and so much more. yet since most games are console focused everything is hamstrung to work on systems that don't compare to pc's from 4-5 year ago or greater.

Call pc gamers bitter if you want but I grew up playing pc games all the way back to the Apple II and commodore 64 and while consoles do have some amazing games in their own right and ive enjoyed a good many of them but I will always turn to my pc for 95% of my gaming needs.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, PNY GTX 780TI SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD updating to i7 shortly
Xbox live: tanis8585
#253TheWayOfTheGunPosted 3/29/2014 3:36:22 PM(edited)
PC gamers.

What are these PC first, ultimate games that should enthrall the masses?

I would love for some examples of the brilliance that a PC first game can bring me. Show me some games with 1st class graphics and gameplay that will blow me away!

I was fortunate enough to have access to gaming capable PC's as early as the IBM PC yet whenever I think of the games that truly innovated, they are all console games aside from the early 90's where PC actually defined the FPS genre.

Other than that, consoles have been way more innovative.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#254PraetorXynPosted 3/29/2014 6:05:44 PM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
PC gamers.

I would love for some examples of the brilliance that a PC first game can bring me. Show me some games with 1st class graphics and gameplay that will blow me away!

I was fortunate enough to have access to gaming capable PC's as early as the IBM PC yet whenever I think of the games that truly innovated, they are all console games aside from the early 90's where PC actually defined the FPS genre.

Let's see.
Deus Ex (IW was garbage, HR was decent)
Thief 1 & 2 (Deadly Shadows was meh, new game is garbage)
Splinter Cell
System Shock 1 & 2 (BioShock 1 and 2 are good, but not as good. Infinite was a huge disappointment and a large step back)
Quake 1, 2 & 3 (4 was garbage)
Unreal Tournament / UT2004 (3 was garbage)
Grim Fandango
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Diablo II (3 is garbage)
Morrowind (Oblivion was bad for non-console reasons, Skyrim was terrible)
Gothic 2 (3 was pretty meh)
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
The Witcher 1 & 2
Starcraft 1 & 2
Warcraft 1, 2, & 3
Fallout 1 & 2
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl (Best)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky (Worst)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Priypat (Middle)

That's a small number off the top of my head. It's not about stunning graphics; on PC graphics will be as good as they can be at any given time period unless the developer isn't going for that. What it's about is mechanics that are actually somewhat complex and gameplay with depth and substance to it.

There are games these days that have a huge arrow on screen pointing at the big environmental hazard you're supposed to drop on the boss and other such hand-holding nonsense. The Hollywood movie budgets have ruined the industry by making developers try to appeal to the widest audience, the lowest common denominator, in order to recoup on their investment, as most games won't end up being profitable to any significant degree anyway unless they're made by Rockstar or are CoD games.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#255DreamGoddess1Posted 3/29/2014 6:40:37 PM
Most of those games don't interest me one bit, truth be told. I'd rather play Lightning Returns or Grand Theft Auto. Oh, and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is garbage, I hated it.
---
Spread the joy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4
#256xanthan1Posted 3/29/2014 6:46:27 PM
DreamGoddess1 posted...
Most of those games don't interest me one bit, truth be told. I'd rather play Lightning Returns or Grand Theft Auto. Oh, and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is garbage, I hated it.

So you have no idea what "garbage" means at all then?
#257biohazard1775Posted 3/29/2014 6:52:51 PM
DreamGoddess1 posted...

b8
---
http://i.imgur.com/AuuOUVo.png
#258BeastKingQueenPosted 4/2/2014 9:29:16 AM
PC is ultimate console because it can potentially emulate all other consoles.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-site-suggestions/68886664
#259TheWayOfTheGunPosted 4/2/2014 3:09:23 PM(edited)
PraetorXyn posted...
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
PC gamers.

Let's see.
Deus Ex (IW was garbage, HR was decent)
Thief 1 & 2 (Deadly Shadows was meh, new game is garbage)
Splinter Cell
System Shock 1 & 2 (BioShock 1 and 2 are good, but not as good. Infinite was a huge disappointment and a large step back)
Quake 1, 2 & 3 (4 was garbage)
Unreal Tournament / UT2004 (3 was garbage)
Grim Fandango
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Diablo II (3 is garbage)
Morrowind (Oblivion was bad for non-console reasons, Skyrim was terrible)
Gothic 2 (3 was pretty meh)
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
The Witcher 1 & 2
Starcraft 1 & 2
Warcraft 1, 2, & 3
Fallout 1 & 2
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl (Best)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky (Worst)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Priypat (Middle)

That's a small number off the top of my head. It's not about stunning graphics; on PC graphics will be as good as they can be at any given time period unless the developer isn't going for that. What it's about is mechanics that are actually somewhat complex and gameplay with depth and substance to it.

There are games these days that have a huge arrow on screen pointing at the big environmental hazard you're supposed to drop on the boss and other such hand-holding nonsense. The Hollywood movie budgets have ruined the industry by making developers try to appeal to the widest audience, the lowest common denominator, in order to recoup on their investment, as most games won't end up being profitable to any significant degree anyway unless they're made by Rockstar or are CoD games.

BeastKingQueen posted...
PC is ultimate console because it can potentially emulate all other consoles.

Keyword "Potentially". It will be at least decade before you can properly emulate Xbox 360 and PS3 games. That's not something really worth bragging about considering that I can play NES/SNES/Genesis/Jaguar/Neo Geo/N64/MAME games on my classic Wii. It's a little thing called Homebrew and only requires a single SD card.

---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#260Strider1850Posted 4/2/2014 3:55:43 PM
The only reason I would use the terms "consolepeasants" or "pcmasterrace" is just to get a rise out of people. I played both console and pc games throughout my life and already know what the pros and cons of both sides are. It just makes me laugh when people are taking it so seriously.

So basicly TC said it is bull**** that consoles are holding gaming back. John Carmack also believes the xbox360 and PS3 still havent realised their full potential. So TC is in good company.
---
https://tinyurl.com/m2fn7w7