This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Consoles are holding gaming back".

#51IngExBeinPosted 3/27/2014 8:51:49 AM
Publisher greed and developers' inability to be creative anymore hold gaming back far more.

NES never held gaming back. Developers had to work around what they had to make the best they could.

What's the excuse now?
#52ChocoXCheesePosted 3/27/2014 9:03:21 AM
The only thing consoles hold back are graphics, and honestly, I would be content if graphics just stopped improving at this point. With a nice art style, any game can look good. And appearance is probably one of the least important aspects of gaming.
---
Official Ground Type Gym Leader of the GFAQs MGM League [CLOSED]
Pokemon X FC: 4355-9435-9421; FS: Normal; Teddiursa, Loudred, and Chansey
#53Darthvoorhees13Posted 3/27/2014 9:08:57 AM(edited)
I think it's true. In many cases the PC version of games seems like an afterthought. We get a port of the console version. Compare the PS2 gen game "Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory", built around PC and adapted to console.
The PC version has levels as one big area, the PS2 version is separated by a loading screen.

Now look at The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for PC. You can see it's a console port.
But get the right mods and you can quickly see how good it COULD'VE looked if it was built around the PC version. (Watch the "Dragonborn" movie by Yongyea on youtube to see which mods.)

It doesn't ALWAYS fall into "graphics", it can be capabilities too. Look also at Fallout: New Vegas, the Strip is separated by three gates even in the PC version. Because consoles can't handle the "large area" depicted in the intro movie.

---
"Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?"
- Dr. Gregory House (House, M.D)
#54SilentHawk29Posted 3/27/2014 9:07:47 AM
^ For a more recent example, there's Thief, with all of its loading screens.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#55ChemuraderiePosted 3/27/2014 9:10:49 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#56Majoras_pantsPosted 3/27/2014 9:13:27 AM
Games are considerably dumbed down when consoles are in the mind of developers. Visuals is just a small part of it. Gameplay is, too, to make up for the limitations of a dual analogue control method, not to mention the disadvantages of a closed platform.

Look at Titanfall. fun game, for sure. But it was developed 100% with consoles in mind. And because of that, there are no custom servers, and no real customization at all. It's still a good game, but if it was developed with PC in mind, you'd have a lot more options which keeps the game fresh for much longer. Sure, I'll play it for 40-50 hours before I get bored of it. And it's certainly a creative game among the trash FPSes that get released every year like Call of Duty and Battlefield, but compare it to Counterstrike which people play for hundreds of hours without getting bored.

Console gaming certainly holds back gaming in a lot of ways. But it's not that big of a deal. Dumbed down games are fine with me, as long as solid, intelligent and deep games continue to be released on PC.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#57IAMlnDiGNaTioNPosted 3/27/2014 9:24:53 AM
Console are holding graphics back. That is all.
#58Englandfc1966Posted 3/27/2014 9:25:50 AM
Console gamers aren't real gamers - fact.
#59SonyHoundDawgPosted 3/27/2014 9:29:03 AM
I'm very happy with 1080p. I'd rather not have to buy an expensive screen for higher resolution and be forced at this time in a 780ti to be able to run it smoothly. Graphics aren't everything in games. And you can still improve graphics a lot without bumping resolution.

Theres plenty of PC only games out there. The only thing holding back games is developers creativity and the almighty $$$ wether it be not enough to make the game how they want or investors wanting big profits.
#60LACris88Posted 3/27/2014 9:35:18 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]