This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Consoles are holding gaming back".

#71LEGEND_725Posted 3/27/2014 10:18:50 AM
Clouddx posted...
LEGEND_725 posted...
Lol..? Console gaming is the vast majority of where the money is at. Without it PC gaming would nearly die (why don't you think more games are produced on PC only or PC as lead platform?)

Without console gaming PC gaming would be the only choice for development, therefore killing console gaming and making PC the only place to go to play games. How would that exactly make PC gaming nearly die?

Even without consoles the majority would still be handhelds and smart phones... PC would see a gain but not enough for companies to pump out huge AAA titles... Combine that with PC gamers pirating and....lol
---
Lift. Game. Academics. Party. = LIFE. Best mod dispute ever? http://i.imgur.com/db7oluz.jpg. Official dudebro of any forum... I lift more than you
#72pozertronPosted 3/27/2014 10:26:02 AM(edited)
It's not the consoles that kill gaming, it's the multiplatforming. Every game should be exclusive to one console or another. That way PC gamers will get their 4D and consoles start making good games.

And besides, it's not consoles that hold gaming back, it's the PC actually. The only thing consoles hold back is *Graphics* don't mistake *Graphics* for *Gaming* those are 2 completely different things. In terms of *Gaming* consoles have the upper edge with Motion controls, Motion Capture, soon to be Virtual Reality. As for the games themselves, they haven't changed a bit in like 10 years, the only thing that changed are graphics and input methods *Everything except PC*
---
Any game with a time limit must burn in hell...with the exception of Fallout 1, Mana Khemia and Mana Khemia 2 since those were actually good.
#73WimpyWeaksaucePosted 3/27/2014 10:19:59 AM
harcoreblazer posted...
And no, i won't explain why it's stupid, i'll leave it for you to think it yourselves.

You're not contributing anything to the discussion. You just want us to respond with why you're wrong. Isn't that the very definition of trolling?
#74BogePosted 3/27/2014 10:22:00 AM
Not talking graphically, which should be obvious, we've seen some gameplay design decisions that aren't typical of PC gaming come to games that typically would be a PC first. Xcom is a great example.

Go play Jagged Alliance 2, or Silent Storm, then go play Xcom. You'll see a clear difference in the simplicity that came to Xcom. Why did that happen? Gamepad controls are limited.

That's just one example. There are others, and they range from graphics to gameplay simplicity, to restrictions on number of players.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#75Unbridled9Posted 3/27/2014 10:22:55 AM
'Like, OMG, if consoles weren't around the graphics on my super ultra comp could cure cancer when I played Halo, and totally make the blind see when I played Halo 2, and restore missing limbs when I played 'not-halo-except-it-totally-is-halo-with-a-different-name'. It's all consoles faults.'

What PC people don't seem to realize is that computers are NOT designed for gaming! Yes, you can make a custom one, but you could also probably make a 'custom' PS4. Most computers are work tools first that just so happen to be able to play them. Game developers want to appeal to the masses so they'll design their games for that baseline, not the 'pinnacle'. That's why computers from five years ago can still play modern games.

Remove consoles and games would not be any better. In fact, they'd be horrifically worse off on the whole.
---
The enemy of knowledge is ignorance, not religion.
#76TrueGBPosted 3/27/2014 10:25:19 AM
Consoles aren't holding gaming back. Risk-averse publishers are holding gaming back. There are lots of risky and unique games on the 3DS and Vita. Even the almighty PC is seeing lots of indie devs forego graphics in favour of gameplay. The indie games with good graphics were great because of their gameplay.

Blame the player, not the game and all that.
---
Future Billionaire
#77Worknofun370Posted 3/27/2014 10:29:23 AM
TrueGB posted...
Blame the player, not the game and all that.

The saying is actually Hate the game, not the player.
#78alteredguitarPosted 3/27/2014 10:50:01 AM
agreed, it is a very stupid argument.
#79dj-izzlePosted 3/27/2014 10:52:41 AM(edited)
Agreed TC
#80Unbridled9Posted 3/27/2014 10:56:32 AM
Loshadt posted...
harcoreblazer posted...
When it comes to stupid arguments, this takes the prize.

And no, i won't explain why it's stupid, i'll leave it for you to think it yourselves.

You won't explain why it's stupid because you can't, meanwhile many of us can explain exactly why that statement holds true. Compare Deus Ex to Deus Ex: Invisible War. Compare Thief 2 to Thief: Deadly Shadows to Thief 2014. Compare Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim. Noticing a pattern here?

There comes a point where hardware gets so outdated as to outright hinder progress.

Well, dunno about Deus Ex or Thief, but considering that Oblivion and Skyrim were miles better than Morrowind and both were designed with the console in mind as opposed to the PC, I'd say that 'consoles are better for gaming'.

Go play Jagged Alliance 2, or Silent Storm, then go play Xcom. You'll see a clear difference in the simplicity that came to Xcom. Why did that happen? Gamepad controls are limited.

Or, maybe, Xcom was better designed? Considering I've never heard of either of those two yet Xcom has been very successful of late with its Fire-Emblem-esque design, I'm more inclined to believe Xcom was just better designed and part of that was making the controls simpler.

Here is the problem with the 'graphics' argument. It is very, very, easy to get realistic visuals. Just turn off your console and go outside. 100% perfect visuals, infinitely detailed and reactive controls, amazingly low cost, no upgrades required, and the most detailed NPC's ever possible. Sure, there are a ton of microtransactions and yearly subscription fees unless you want to play freemium out in the wilds, but it's more than worth it.
---
The enemy of knowledge is ignorance, not religion.