This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the relations between modems and routers for speed/range?

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the relations between modems and routers for speed/range?
1 year ago#11
You say both xbox and wii u sense the router. But you havent said how many bars they're getting. I dont own a wii-u but for the xbox, on the network settings, it should tell you how good the signals are when you do a network test.
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 4770k @ 4ghz | 32GB DDR3 1866 (20GB RamDisk) | SLI Evga Gtx 780ti | lots of hdd storage
1 year ago#12
dual band is definitely not going to do anything for your wii and xbox
---
^ this
1 year ago#13
5ghz wifi barely penetrates walls and unless you bought a high end laptop that advertised dual band wifi as a feature none of the devices you listed support it anyway. If you aren't using dual band you aren't going to get the advertised 300 (or 450) Gb/s.

As for it not connecting one room over, if the router doesn't have antennae, that doesn't surprise me. Antennaless routers need to die in a fire. I have been through 4 enterprise grade Arris-Belkin routers and not a single one of them worked reliably, not even in the same room, not even holding a device inches away from them. If it does have antennae then I dunno what to tell you. Maybe look into making a pair of windsurfers.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
(edited by PhilOnDez)
1 year ago#14
PhilOnDez posted...
Antennaless routers need to die in a fire. I have been through 4 enterprise grade Arris-Belkin routers and not a single one of them worked reliably, not even in the same room, not even holding a device inches away from them.

Enterprise router with wifi?
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
1 year ago#15
Ok new update: Did some speed test in my room with my laptop again. Was getting around 12-16 mbps download. Went to the room with the router right next to the router. Got 18-20 mbps download which makes me think our cap might be 20 mbps. I have yet to try a router connection. Now I have been using my comp on the bed elevated to about waist level. I went 5-10 feet to my left and sat the laptop on the floor right by the consoles where they are and did a speed test. The results were abysmal. Dropped down to 1-3 mbps download. So Im wondering if it is the router at this point. My xbox 360 curiously says I have 4 bars btw. And the router does not have an external antennae.
---
Convictioniist "Sigs: Serious Business"
1 year ago#16
Perhaps look into a powerline network adapter...some include wifi and can be a good alternative to wifi repeaters.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is the relations between modems and routers for speed/range?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived