This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the relations between modems and routers for speed/range?

#11SmakkyofacePosted 3/27/2014 3:26:17 AM
You say both xbox and wii u sense the router. But you havent said how many bars they're getting. I dont own a wii-u but for the xbox, on the network settings, it should tell you how good the signals are when you do a network test.
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 4770k @ 4ghz | 32GB DDR3 1866 (20GB RamDisk) | SLI Evga Gtx 780ti | lots of hdd storage
#12LordSeiferPosted 3/27/2014 3:38:50 AM
dual band is definitely not going to do anything for your wii and xbox
---
^ this
#13PhilOnDezPosted 3/27/2014 3:53:59 AM(edited)
5ghz wifi barely penetrates walls and unless you bought a high end laptop that advertised dual band wifi as a feature none of the devices you listed support it anyway. If you aren't using dual band you aren't going to get the advertised 300 (or 450) Gb/s.

As for it not connecting one room over, if the router doesn't have antennae, that doesn't surprise me. Antennaless routers need to die in a fire. I have been through 4 enterprise grade Arris-Belkin routers and not a single one of them worked reliably, not even in the same room, not even holding a device inches away from them. If it does have antennae then I dunno what to tell you. Maybe look into making a pair of windsurfers.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#14zerodefectPosted 3/27/2014 4:18:37 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
Antennaless routers need to die in a fire. I have been through 4 enterprise grade Arris-Belkin routers and not a single one of them worked reliably, not even in the same room, not even holding a device inches away from them.

Enterprise router with wifi?
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#15Cheko2015(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 10:11:10 PM
Ok new update: Did some speed test in my room with my laptop again. Was getting around 12-16 mbps download. Went to the room with the router right next to the router. Got 18-20 mbps download which makes me think our cap might be 20 mbps. I have yet to try a router connection. Now I have been using my comp on the bed elevated to about waist level. I went 5-10 feet to my left and sat the laptop on the floor right by the consoles where they are and did a speed test. The results were abysmal. Dropped down to 1-3 mbps download. So Im wondering if it is the router at this point. My xbox 360 curiously says I have 4 bars btw. And the router does not have an external antennae.
---
Convictioniist "Sigs: Serious Business"
#16KJay489Posted 3/27/2014 10:53:34 PM
Perhaps look into a powerline network adapter...some include wifi and can be a good alternative to wifi repeaters.