This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Properly overclocking my i7-4770k?

#11ClouddxPosted 3/27/2014 9:26:53 AM(edited)
Ruzz9 posted...
You don't think it's my "auto" OCing motherboard option causing the heat? It's probably just ramping up the voltages wouldn't that cause heat or temp issues? I have a liquid cooler they shouldn't be that high right?

It could, but programs like that don't usually go heavy on the voltage; at least not so heavy it would end up being nearly 80C on some cores while running a game.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#12Ruzz9(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 9:36:18 AM
What could be the issue then? Like I said it's a Corshair H100i and a i7-4770k and it was "auto'd" to 4.6Ghz. (and Warframe was the game which was running a crazy amount of frames.. could that have caused it?)

And if it is the "auto" OC, can anyone help me with the overclocking process so I can up it myself then check the temps? Gonna use Prime95 when I get home from work to see.
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: RichRuzz
#13Ruzz9(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 10:46:53 AM
Started Prime95 before I went to work to see and coretemp said core 0 100 all other cores 98c.... is this even possible or is this a misread? They jumped instantly it doesn't seem right...
---
#14ShubPosted 3/27/2014 10:50:05 AM
Of course it's possible for your CPU to hit 98C, and yes it can get there very very quickly from a "complete stop".
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#15Ruzz9(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 10:52:31 AM
On liquid cooling stock speeds something seems wrong...
---
#16BuburibonPosted 3/27/2014 10:54:07 AM
The voltage is probably running pretty high on auto at 4.6Ghz. Sky-high actually. Try and study one of the many overclocking guides available online, and manually overclock your CPU with as little voltage as possible.
---
Steam | PSN | XBL | NNID: GVAmson23
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB 2133Mhz | GTX Titan @ 1136Mhz
#17PsythikPosted 3/27/2014 11:03:36 AM
Ruzz9 posted...
What's a good temp tracking program? I've been using coretemp. And I have a liquid cooler, are my temps high?
Realtemp is the most accurate for Intel CPUs.
---
4670K | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | BitFenix Phenom M (white) | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#18PhilOnDezPosted 3/27/2014 11:04:34 AM
Ruzz9 posted...
You don't think it's my "auto" OCing motherboard option causing the heat? It's probably just ramping up the voltages wouldn't that cause heat or temp issues? I have a liquid cooler they shouldn't be that high right?

This is a possibility. When I was reading tuts and watching vids before I OCd my processor one of the guides I was using showed why you shouldn't use those automatic things. He had a great OCing CPU that he knew he would hit 4.6 on without adjusting the voltage on one mobo. He pushed it to 4.8 and manually tuned it to be stable with as little voltage as possible, it ended up being good at like 1.16. He then let the mobo automatically OC it to that same clock and it ramped it up to over 1.4v. That's a ton of extra heat so manually tuning your clocks might lower your temps by a decent margin. Personally, 78 is right below what I'd worry about (I figure by the time 80 degrees does enough damage to affect performance I'll have been wanting to upgrade for a long time) but you can probably do better.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#19AlleRacingPosted 3/27/2014 11:55:51 AM
Ruzz9 posted...

When I tried the 4-way optimization on my Maximus VI Formula, it worked sufficiently, but it bumped the voltage up higher than was necessary, up to 1.250V at 4.5 GHz I think. I lowered that to 1.200V while still remaining stable. I have a temperature delta of ~60-63 degrees when running Intel Burn Test on a Phanteks TC14PE cooler on my 4770k, so your temperature delta of about 53 degrees while in a game on a slightly better cooler seems a little high. I have no idea how intensive Warframe is on the CPU, but my temperature delta in the majority of games is only around 30-40 degrees.

So my first advice is just to manually lower your voltage and test stability at that clock. If that doesn't get your temperature low enough, you could try a slightly lower clock, 4.4 or 4.5 will still be plenty good.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#20Ruzz9(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 12:00:21 PM
Can I pay someone to talk me through getting a proper OC when I get home? I'll buy you a game on Steam of choice assuming everything is fine with my cooler. For the time it went to 100c i stopped it a few seconds later should my CPU be ok?
---