This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people hate MMOs?

#11ThePCElitistPosted 3/27/2014 2:02:29 PM
People that are impatient usually don't like the genre because it's a massive time sink. To be honest it's really the only genre I play anymore aside from FPS and Simulator games.
#12SinisterSlayPosted 3/27/2014 2:06:17 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
People that are impatient usually don't like the genre because it's a massive time sink. To be honest it's really the only genre I play anymore aside from FPS and Simulator games.

Hmmm, I'm impatient but I love simulator games. And I hate MMO's so far.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#13Tucker_BAPosted 3/27/2014 2:08:07 PM(edited)
Gear treadmill
Grindan
Time sink
Low skill ceiling
Toxic communities
Unoriginal
Graphics are never up to par
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjD6wo9BIyM
#14TropicMoon10Posted 3/27/2014 2:08:29 PM
I don't hate them. I just never play them because

dragon504 posted...
massive time sink
pay to win

---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#15hitokiri13Posted 3/27/2014 2:18:32 PM(edited)
Reason I hate most MMORPGS is time. I don't want to be force to finish something. That's why I play WoW most of the time since PVP is fun. Sometimes I need to do something I just simply leave during the game and go do something.
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#16KillerTrufflePosted 3/27/2014 2:17:44 PM
Aside from the ridiculous amounts of time wasting at the core of the genre, repetitive quests, immersion-breaking chatter from other players, and general drudgery, another thing that always sucks me out of the genre is the way the stories are presented and played.

"You alone are our last hope!" [aside from the other 5 million players on the server...] "Thank you for killing those monsters. We'd have been lost without you!" [because the previous 1.5 billion of these monsters killed by all the various other players didn't cut it - these last 5 you just killed were the breaking point, and the fact that they keep on respawning even now is totally cool with us...]

The way the quests and stories are designed to try and make you feel like this epic fighter that the fate of the world hinges around is just ridiculous. The concept falls apart in so many places it's laughable.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#17chandl34Posted 3/27/2014 2:18:56 PM
Because they're not as hard-core as they used to be. Original UO and EverQuest were great.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#18Lemur_HPosted 3/27/2014 2:19:36 PM
Empty.

That's all they are to me.
#19TireseasPosted 3/27/2014 2:23:52 PM(edited)
Wish I could post some of my old guild's more amusing raiding videos. It'd be more illustrative to listen to vent for 10 minutes than to sit here for an hour typing trying to explain why you're completely missing the point. Perhaps google Ramses wipes the raid. We were all in tears laughing by the end of that night even those of us not actually in the raid.

Then again, maybe you still wouldn't get it because you weren't there for the group dynamic.

---
More and more, it feels like I'm doing a really bad impersonation of myself.
#20KillerTrufflePosted 3/27/2014 2:23:41 PM
Lemur_H posted...
Empty.

That's all they are to me.

They do indeed have a very empty feeling to me as well.

I have no idea what I must have inhaled the other day, but just to see if it was any better than I remembered, I reinstalled the trial of WoW. That lasted about 15 minutes. I spent twice that long gagging over the toilet afterward. :P

Seriously tho... The games are just plain not fun to me. I've never once played an MMO that had a story that drew me in, or even that was able to tell its story in an engaging way. That plus the basic core design elements just make for trash time wasting rather than what I'd consider real gameplay. You might actually get real gameplay at level 60 in WoW, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna slog through that much time wasting crap to find out if I like it any better.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23