This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people hate MMOs?

#21Digital StormPosted 3/27/2014 2:25:59 PM
Too many lone wolf gamers play MMOs.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#22PsythikPosted 3/27/2014 2:26:05 PM
Because they're all exactly the same. Played WoW? Then you've played every MMO in existence.
---
4670K | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | BitFenix Phenom M (white) | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#23Lemur_HPosted 3/27/2014 2:30:38 PM
Psythik posted...
Because they're all exactly the same. Played WoW? Then you've played every MMO in existence.

And this is also how I feel. Used to play WoW. My friend is always playing MMOs. Every time I try one he really likes, I just sigh and uninstall it. There just isn't anything there. Lacking so much... Feels like a waste of time, and if I am paying for it, it feels like a waste of time and a scam.

After a year or two of WoW, I can't see any value in the genre anymore. The concept of the MMORPG needs to change drastically.
#24SpazH3dPosted 3/27/2014 2:32:04 PM
The real question is, why don't you dislike them? Why are you still playing them? The only reason to play them, is to have a great time with friends. Anything is fun with friends. MMOs are just singleplayer games with the worst parts, as mentioned above.
---
- My vision is augmented
#25TireseasPosted 3/27/2014 2:35:35 PM
SpazH3d posted...
The real question is, why don't you dislike them? Why are you still playing them? The only reason to play them, is to have a great time with friends. Anything is fun with friends. MMOs are just singleplayer games with the worst parts, as mentioned above.

I'd look at it more as a contrived backdrop with an extended tutorial whose value has been undermined by making it derp easy. Take me back to Ulduar or TBC era WoW with my guild intact and I'd pay pretty much anything they wanted for the privilege. The concessions to solo players are what ruined that game.
---
More and more, it feels like I'm doing a really bad impersonation of myself.
#26happyscrub1(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 2:47:17 PM
I think most of you didn't understand my post. I'm talking about hatred... not just disliking.
---
Who is happyscrub? Click to find out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRaxB9eK1X4
#27Lemur_HPosted 3/27/2014 2:47:57 PM
happyscrub1 posted...
I think most of you didn't understand my post. I'm talking about hatred... not just disliking.

Welcome to the internet, where hatred and dislike are the same.
#28TireseasPosted 3/27/2014 2:51:07 PM
Lemur_H posted...
happyscrub1 posted...

and undiagnosed mental disorders are rampant. Seriously if you hate a genre of game, seek professional help. Life's too short for that petty ****
---
More and more, it feels like I'm doing a really bad impersonation of myself.
#29Lemur_HPosted 3/27/2014 2:52:46 PM
Tireseas posted...
Lemur_H posted...
happyscrub1 posted...

and undiagnosed mental disorders are rampant. Seriously if you hate a genre of game, seek professional help. Life's too short for that petty ****

I don't hate it. I just don't see any value in it. Point your gun elsewhere.
#30KillerTrufflePosted 3/27/2014 2:54:26 PM
There IS still an MMORPG concept I could get behind, if they could work out the details and possible (probable?) kinks. I've actually described it here before.

Basically, stop with all these little "you're the only one who can help us, by bringing me teeth from 5 wolves!" AI quest crap. Instead, build the basic framerwork of the world, its lore, etc., but rather than populating it with AI questgivers and stuff, make HUMAN players the quest givers.

I'd like to see a game built around the players as its core, with a political system in place where players can gain or lose status, become central game characters, as well as a framerwork that assigns a certain amount of XP for various tasks, etc. So players wouldn't *always* need to be online to issue or resolve their quests, a board system of some sort could be set up outside their shop, or on a central job board or something, sorted by type or however. Quests could be designed as complex or simple as the questgiver wants, with experience awards scaling appropriately. They'd typically also have either a monetary or item reward added on.

Say one player wants a certain sword, and asks a player with a smithy for it. That smith could go find the resources to make the sword himself, or he could post quests to get the parts. It could be done as separate low-level "I need X resources" for each of the elements needed for the sword, or include collection of all the elements in a single quest worth more XP, or even ask that some of the pieces of the sword be pre-made, like a hilt. Someone who takes on that quest, then, could post their own quest asking for the elements needed, so they could craft the hilt to complete their own quest, etc. That's just a very simplified example of the general concept, but it could have some interesting potential, particularly in view of political power struggles and stuff too. Quests could be issued by local rulers to assassinate or otherwise hinder potential rivals, to assault and take over a particular district, to sneak in and spy on a rival, bringing back actual real information on their activity or strengths, or any number of things. I admit it'd be hard to do right, but done right, it could turn out to be a very cool, deep, complex system.

There would still be AI monsters, possibly even bosses and stuff, but the bulk of the game would revolve around the players themselves. Something like this - done right - would make the world much more rich, prevent it from getting stale (especially if server-side large-scale world events happen every now and then to mix things up), even down to the most basic of fetch quests, since your reward can always be different, rather than ALWAYS getting a pair of basic gloves EVERY time you do this same specific AI quest with each character you play.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23