This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people hate MMOs?

#31KillerTrufflePosted 3/27/2014 2:55:23 PM
Tireseas posted...
Lemur_H posted...
happyscrub1 posted...
I think most of you didn't understand my post. I'm talking about hatred... not just disliking.

Welcome to the internet, where hatred and dislike are the same.

and undiagnosed mental disorders are rampant. Seriously if you hate a genre of game, seek professional help. Life's too short for that petty ****

Only as rampant as self-proclaimed internet psychologists...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#32JonWood007Posted 3/27/2014 2:57:38 PM(edited)
1) Bad business models. They often range from pay 2 win, to cash sinks that require you to spend $180 a year for the privilege to keep playing. I could buy 3 full priced games, or pretty much go on my dream steam sale shopping spree for that money.

2) Boring/repetitive. As others mentioned, it's just killing X to collect Y of Z. I hate grinding, and MMOs are often full of them.

3) They're all the same game. I've tried/seen many MMOs in action over time. I watch a friend play WoW, I've seen the same friend play GW. I've played games like Allods Online, or City of Heroes, or Star Trek online myself....THEYRE ALL THE SAME GAME. They're more samey than FPS even (and that's a common criticism of FPS games). It's just a complete reskin every time I try one. Oh wow, CoH...it's WoW with superheroes. STO...it's WoW in space! If you've played one MMO, you've played them all.

4) Combat system/controls. I like FPS style controls, or at least like an RTS approach...MMOs have really awful controls, and it makes the game boring. Instead of basing skills around movement, players just press buttons while tanking damage until either they or their opponent dies. It's boring. it's not fun. It's blah.

5) They scream low quality to me. Seriously. I can like a well designed RPG like Skyrim or Fallout or Mass Effect, but MMOs just feel like crap to me. I cant describe why. They just scream low quality to me. Theyre not that immersive. They're boring.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#33TireseasPosted 3/27/2014 2:57:00 PM
Lemur_H posted...
Tireseas posted...
Lemur_H posted...
happyscrub1 posted...
I think most of you didn't understand my post. I'm talking about hatred... not just disliking.

Welcome to the internet, where hatred and dislike are the same.

and undiagnosed mental disorders are rampant. Seriously if you hate a genre of game, seek professional help. Life's too short for that petty ****

I don't hate it. I just don't see any value in it. Point your gun elsewhere.

Was agreeing with you in a sideways manner and making general commentary on the state of the interweb denizens. Besides, as at least one other person here will tell you I prefer sharp, pointy things to guns.
---
More and more, it feels like I'm doing a really bad impersonation of myself.
#34Lemur_HPosted 3/27/2014 2:57:35 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
... A TRUCKLOAD OF TEXT ...

Sounds expensive.

...and awesome.
#35KidInTheHallPosted 3/27/2014 2:57:55 PM
The same reason people hate Lemur H, he's mean to people that only try to be his friend.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#36megamanfreakXDPosted 3/27/2014 2:58:09 PM
I hate all MMOs except for FFXIV.

After the remake, they have been adding a lot of new content every month.
---
|Corsair 500R|ASUS GTX 570|i5-2500K 3.30GHz|G-Skill 8GB 1600 DDR3|Samsung SSD PRO 256GB|Antec 750W PSU|ASUS P8P67 PRO|CM HYPER 212+|
#37Lemur_HPosted 3/27/2014 2:59:05 PM
KidInTheHall posted...
The same reason people hate Lemur H, he's mean to people that only try to be his friend.

Not my fault you're a @#$% who does nothing but @#$%^%$#@$%# all day while watching Blues Clues.
#38KidInTheHallPosted 3/27/2014 3:03:08 PM
Lemur_H posted...
KidInTheHall posted...

Not my fault you're a @#$% who does nothing but @#$%^%$#@$%# all day while watching Blues Clues.

Will you accept my Steam friend invite? Please?
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#39BogePosted 3/27/2014 4:26:00 PM
There are a few things I hate about MMOs:

1. I hate the player competition, even in cooperative play. People just have to play the damage meters game, the "I'm better than you" game. "Look at my mount as I stand on the bank!!" "Look at my epic gear! Worship me!!" Sorry, I pity you instead. You skipped over most of the game as fast as you could just so you could get the best stuff right now just to show off? That's too bad, and a huge waste of a lot of entertainment.

2. I hate waypoint hopping. I miss games that you actually played rather than just going where the game tells you to and do what the game tells you to. Quest for quest, talk to this waypoint, go to this waypoint, kill this waypoint, grab this waypoint, go to this waypoint, get your reward and a new waypoint. That's not fun, and too many games are doing this now.

3. Player requirements. I love that it takes teamwork to complete some of the content in MMOs. I haven't had as fun of a cooperative gaming experience in my life as I have some instances in MMOs. However, requiring 12 people, or limiting to only 5 or 6 people has been such a major problem with me and my 8 friends. What a freaking nightmare it is to not want to play with the jerk competitive strangers (see number 1), but not have enough people. On the flip side, go to do an instance, but you have to leave 2 or 3 people out. Not cool at all. They seriously need scaling.

4. "Clone" loot. Everyone is wearing the same stuff, has the same mount. Everyone is a clone of each other. Every ranger looks the same, has the same spec. I hate how you have to kill John the butcher to get the Decapitator cleaver. That's the only place you can get it, and it's exactly the same as every other cleaver that every other player has already gotten. What's the point of a massively multiplayer game when every player is exactly the same?

5. A huge seamless world that you can only go to on rails. People call them "themepark MMOs". You have to start in this area, then go to this area, then do this dungeon, then this area, then this dungeon, then get these items, then do this, then that. You don't really have the freedom to play how you want despite an MMORPG giving you that impression. Leveling hurts this. Leveling is a tricky thing too, because you need to feel the progression, but still keep the challenge. So what's the point of levels anyway if you just go play where the enemies are your level? And what's the point of no levels or scaling levels when you're always the same level as the enemy? How do you give the progression? So either way, it doesn't work well.

6. Changing world. This might be a good thing, but it's been a bad experience for me. The addition of space goats and panda bears in World of Warcraft was NOT cool. It killed the immersion for me. The changing of the difficulty and leveling speed is also NOT cool. You used to barely be able to kill 3 enemies at a time IF you knew how to play and blew all your cooldowns. Nowadays, you can fall asleep on your keyboard while fighting 15 enemies, come out with all your health as well as max level. Where's the fun in that? And how can one learn to play well when they don't have to? NOT cool!!

And the biggest problem of them all about MMOs, they're all the same! Most people have been there and done that a few times over with Everquest, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online...it doesn't matter. They all play pretty much the same way. When you've played one, you've played all of them.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#40pitt12177Posted 3/27/2014 9:15:13 PM(edited)
MMOs prey on the weak minded. They hope to draw in people with low self-esteem to keep them hooked on P2W or subscription based practices while granting them the illusion that they are having fun / making friends. Granted, a lot of people truly do have fun and have friends in these games, but a large majority suffers a relative addiction in the same fashion people who play Call of Duty do and have no understanding why they continue to play it.