This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I get a hand with my gaming computer build?

#1Lightning BoltPosted 3/27/2014 1:36:32 PM
In a nutshell, I'm helping my brother with his first custom build. I've only ever done one, for myself, and I'm not 100% on everything.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hwaJ

I've seen the logical increments site and it was fantastic help, but I just want to put it out to you guys in case any kind soul could take a peek and see if anything is just horribly stupid, or could be easily improved.

He doesn't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or really a CD drive (we'll just borrow a drive from a different computer in the house to install the OS).

There isn't any official budget, but I think we've hit a decent price point, so if it goes much higher it would have to pay off a hell of a lot.

And umm... that's about it. Thanks for any help you can provide.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#2Freakwave003Posted 3/27/2014 1:42:28 PM
For memory, you should just get a DDR3-1600 since price wise is pretty much the same as 1333.
For the power supply, get something a bit more higher quality than the CX. That's pretty much on the lower end of corsair power supplies. You can probably find a better one for a couple bucks more.
---
i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz | GA-Z77-D3H | Corsair H100i | 16GB HyperX Beast | ASUS GTX 770 | Intel 520 SSD | Seasonic 660w Platinum | Corsair 500r
#3Freakwave003Posted 3/27/2014 1:44:10 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu650tx

Costs about 10 bucks more, but much better quality wise.
---
i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz | GA-Z77-D3H | Corsair H100i | 16GB HyperX Beast | ASUS GTX 770 | Intel 520 SSD | Seasonic 660w Platinum | Corsair 500r
#4a687947Posted 3/27/2014 1:48:12 PM
if you live near a microcenter you should go there to get the processor and motherboard. They have really good combo deals and their processors are cheaper than anywhere i've seen online. I think the 4770k is $269
#5Lightning Bolt(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 2:10:55 PM(edited)
Both points seem spot on from what I can tell, Freak. Thanks a ton.

So then I'm at this, for reference:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hxNB

a687947 posted...
if you live near a microcenter you should go there to get the processor and motherboard. They have really good combo deals and their processors are cheaper than anywhere i've seen online. I think the 4770k is $269

Hmmm, I'll check around. Sounds like a hot tip.
---
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
#6Lightning Bolt(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 9:24:30 PM
Single bump for the night owls.
---
-The Rev
#7jakeDiLLaPosted 3/27/2014 9:34:22 PM(edited)
if there's no budget then I would get a better CPU cooler just in case you wanna have some fun overclocking. I recommend Noctua NH-D14, which you can probably find for about $50. Probably the best air cooler I've ever dealt with, but the one you've picked is good too. If you do plan on overclocking though it probably won't cut it for any serious performance gains

Although I would distribute the power around a bit more, the CPU you have is a bit overkill IMO. An i5 would do just as well for gaming at a fraction of the cost. You could find a Radeon 7970 3gb for the same price or cheaper as well, but that's sorta just your preference Nvidia vs AMD. Just make sure you won't regret getting a 2gb card (depends on what games you play).

The Ram could be a bit faster as well, 1600mhz. This is just nitpicking though, the parts you picked are pretty good.
---
Toronto Raptors fan for life. Best game of all time: Deus Ex: Invisible War. Gamefaqs mods are a joke.
#8Lightning Bolt(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 9:55:08 PM
jakeDiLLa posted...
Just make sure you won't regret getting a 2gb card (depends on what games you play).

Regret in which way? Is that low for gaming or overkill? >.>
It seems about middle-ground from what I read, which is pretty much all my brother demands. He's totally content playing games on minimum settings so long as they run smoothly and reliably.

(and I do somewhat shy away from Nvidia, didn't realize Geforce was them... derp, thanks for pointing that out)

I think I got the RAM bumped up to 1600 though, if you mean the 1333 could be better. My mistake, I'm dumb. ^^
And on the topic of me being dumb, no overclocking. I might try it for my second build, but at the moment I'm just getting my brother rolling with something reliable for gaming/that isn't trash.
---
-The Rev
#9foodeater4Posted 3/28/2014 9:02:07 AM
I second the corsair tx. I had one of those in a past build and the things a champ. Its like 5 years old now with lots of heavy gaming use and going strong.