This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking back, which of these has FB ruined anyway?

#1Reginleif20Posted 3/27/2014 4:14:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Facebook

Sure the Rift is different compared to all of these being supposed to be for gaming but still...
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#2GoIrish80Posted 3/27/2014 4:17:25 PM
Look, I'm not worried about the acquisition in year 1, 2, or 3 even.

But let's say this thing "makes it," as in it takes off and people accept it and buy it en masse.

THAT is when Facebook is going to start throwing their weight around with the product, and that is when it will be ruined.

I don't worry about the short term success/quality/workings of the Oculus Rift. I worry about what's going to happen to it after it's a big success (assuming that happens) and Facebook wants to put more of their personal stamp on it.

I really doubt the first consumer version of it is going to be much, if any different now than what it was going to be after this acquisition happened. It's the 3rd or 4th version of it that is the concern.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#3Lemur_HPosted 3/27/2014 4:18:29 PM
Yea, nothing wrong with Facebook. Let it grow.
#4FaPaThYPosted 3/27/2014 4:27:14 PM(edited)
Reginleif20 posted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Facebook

Sure the Rift is different compared to all of these being supposed to be for gaming but still...

'Different' is an understatement. All I see on that page is stuff to do with advertising, social networking/marketing stuff, face/voice recognition, etc. It's not hard to see what direction they could easily go with the Rift if they wanted to.

Apparently, Carmack seems fine with it, and Luckey said it wouldn't change much and you won't need a FB account to sign in or anything though, so it might be okay. But probably not.
---
"Because I realize I want you. Guts." | "....... Are you a ****?"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Malicii/
#5SythisTaruPosted 3/27/2014 4:24:11 PM
The only reason someone doesn't like Facebook is because they are a hipster.
#6KillerTrufflePosted 3/27/2014 4:25:55 PM
TC, how many of those acquisitions still operate independently outside of the Facebook website?

As for your point tho, it's pretty much irrelevant. Zuckerberg himself already stated flat out in a teleconference with investors that he sees advertising as the way Oculus is likely to end up bringing in money. He plans to use it as an advertising platform. F*** that. That, combined with the way they suck all personal data they can on their users up to sell to anyone who ponies up the cash, makes this a really s****y deal for gamers.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#7Lasko246Posted 3/27/2014 4:26:20 PM
SythisTaru posted...
The only reason someone doesn't like Facebook is because they are a hipster.

Yeah, someone who values their privacy must be a hipster.
#8GoIrish80Posted 3/27/2014 4:27:26 PM
Anyone who uses the term "hipster" in their statement immediately makes themselves irrelevant and not worth listening to. If you have to put some kind of label like that on a person to get your opinion across, you don't have much of an opinion to begin with.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#9Norb_Posted 3/27/2014 4:31:18 PM
GoIrish80 posted...
Look, I'm not worried about the acquisition in year 1, 2, or 3 even.

But let's say this thing "makes it," as in it takes off and people accept it and buy it en masse.

THAT is when Facebook is going to start throwing their weight around with the product, and that is when it will be ruined.

I don't worry about the short term success/quality/workings of the Oculus Rift. I worry about what's going to happen to it after it's a big success (assuming that happens) and Facebook wants to put more of their personal stamp on it.

I really doubt the first consumer version of it is going to be much, if any different now than what it was going to be after this acquisition happened. It's the 3rd or 4th version of it that is the concern.

Then you can buy one of the many competing HMDs that will rise up if VR proves as successful as predicted.
#10OreoBoy206Posted 3/27/2014 4:37:55 PM(edited)
So what other way can a free to sign up website/services bring in money besides advertising and data mining? Just curious since this is the main reasons why people hate Facebook and Google. Would it be better to have them start charging monthly to join Facebook or have them nickle and dime their users for certain features?