This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking back, which of these has FB ruined anyway?

#21KillerTrufflePosted 3/27/2014 6:04:56 PM
SythisTaru posted...
Lasko246 posted...
SythisTaru posted...
The only reason someone doesn't like Facebook is because they are a hipster.

Yeah, someone who values their privacy must be a hipster.

What does Facebook have to do with privacy? You choose what to post on it...

They also try to convince you that certain things you post are only visible to certain groups of friends, and try to make you forget that EVERYTHING you do on the site is mined and sold as data.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#22KillerTrufflePosted 3/27/2014 6:06:19 PM
SythisTaru posted...
ThatOneGuysHair posted...
the only people who use facebook anymore are hipsters -- at this point it's a "retro" experience.

facebook hasn't been relevant for anything other than talking to your grandmother for YEARS

So what are you cool kids using? Google Plus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4mMY2Kl3GY
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#23ThatOneGuysHairPosted 3/27/2014 6:12:24 PM
SythisTaru posted...

So what are you cool kids using? Google Plus?

lol... you've got to be joking! No, of course not. Phones, emails, instant messengers

It's 2014.

anyone who is "cool" is using services like AIM and Facebook because they're "vintage" and "retro"

this is pretty standard hipster("cool") operating procedure.
#24ukemandwnbuPosted 3/27/2014 8:52:25 PM
SythisTaru posted...
So what are you cool kids using?

Snapchat, Instagram (hypocrisy, because Facebook), and of course Twitter. Snapchat is especially growing massively in popularity among the younger crowd like teens to early twenties. Literally snap a picture, write a 10char caption, and be done with it.

Personally, I do not use any of these social media sites. I do not even use a smartphone or iPhone. I'm 21. I had planned on creating a new email last year on exactly my birthday, and then I was going to create accounts for a bunch of social media and video sites. I missed my chance, and I have since decided that I do not want to be apart of any of these sites. It's simply too late for me. I have not used sites such as Facebook for over 3 years anyway, I'm not missing out on anything. I can call (blue moon, but the option is there) or text family and friends. I do want an iPhone though, and I have been wanting one for the past few years. I'm thinking of getting the new one coming out, and be done with it. I have had my LG Shine since 2008. I hate all this hipster bull****. I strongly despise hipsters, every one of them I come across. These people are generally arrogant and snooty upper-middle class elitists and self-proclaimed "progressives" (read: "regressives") who are intolerant of anyone who doesn't agree with them all the while professing tolerance. Yes, that is a generalization, but the majority-majority of them are like this. I haven't yet crossed paths with a hipster who wasn't like this. And all the while they are against labels and conformity, they themselves are labeling and conforming. They love to bash whites due to their white guilt, never realizing they are as bigoted and prejudiced as they come. Some call it the soft bigotry of low expectations. I say, to them -- it's second nature. I grew up a lower-middle class life, but I'm not one saying I had it hard like the truly poor. But as a middle class person, I did have it hard growing up with divorced parents only having just enough to get by on paying bills and being given just about everything as hand-me-downs. Life wasn't completely comfortable, but something was better than nothing. I have seen thus far how tough life can get, I have learned quite a lot, and I am still learning. I'd love to see these limousine liberals tell me how hard of life I didn't have growing up, especially in comparison to them. F*** off! You know nothing about me. Yes, I am a straight white male. That doesn't mean I'm racist, misogynistic, or homophobic. Although, I don't go looking for race, ethnicity, gender, or sexuality either. I let bygones be bygones. You hipsters, on the other hand, only ever think about the aforementioned. You hipsters move from place to place destroying towns, cities, and whole countries with your political correctness and sense of entitlement. And many people buy into your idiocy. No, neither society nor government owes you s***. You are nothing short of human locusts. I simply think you're wrong, but you think I'm evil. At this point, I couldn't care less. I hate you, too. Now leave me be.
#25El_KazPosted 3/27/2014 9:00:18 PM
aaron1111 posted...
Welcome to VR Cinema 3D....

Please like and play 10 minutes of Candy Crush to enjoy a top row seat!

This movie has been brought to You by Facebook! give us a like and get a free sneak peak of our upcoming features!

*1/4 way into the movie a giant screen appears in the theater* are You enjoying this flick? Share it with your friends! Want to also add this to Your movies collection?

*Halfway into the movie a giant F appears*

*Gollum appears for the corner(Get this statue for Your Farm now!!! only 4.99!)*

Movie Ends* Did You like the movie? Like it now! *You close the Popup* I'm sorry? Did You say You liked the movie? *You close it angrily again* We're sorry, but You cannot remove Your Oculus headset at this time. Please proceed to recommend Farmville to 30 friends to take off Your headset.

Have a nice day!

But then you root your Oculus Rift and install adblock.
gg
---
Wait... what?
#26Cowboy082288Posted 3/27/2014 9:14:27 PM
....... 'YAWN'......... A and B make a decision with each other then suddenly C has a problem with it. GameFaqs = C.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#27arleasPosted 3/27/2014 10:08:51 PM
SythisTaru posted...
Lasko246 posted...
SythisTaru posted...
The only reason someone doesn't like Facebook is because they are a hipster.

Yeah, someone who values their privacy must be a hipster.

What does Facebook have to do with privacy? You choose what to post on it...

You have probably not heard about Facebook tracking your web usage by way of web beacons then.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/140182/article.html

I don't use facebook so I'm not sure if they're currently still using such a system, but the fact that it was ever used at all doesn't make them look like they care much about your privacy.

What they DO care about immensely is data about users that they can sell. Google isn't a whole lot better in this regard. You probably are thinking "I've got nothing to hide". Maybe not... or maybe it just hasn't bitten you in the ass yet. Whatever. You shouldn't disregard the idea that some people care about their privacy just because YOU don't.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#28ZeroChargePosted 3/27/2014 10:21:30 PM
I just genuinely hate FB and most things associated with it. "Oh? What's this? This person who hated your guts and treated you like **** in Jr. High and High school wants to be my friend on FB?" Lolnope. I don't need that crap. I have my small group of good friends and that's all I need. I text them when I want to, call them when I want to, and we hang out every once in a while when they're not busy. And I'd also prefer to forget all the elitist ass-hats that treated me like a second-class citizen during my school years.
---
Cougar Archon Mid-Tower | Asus A55BM-A | AMD A8 6600K @ 4.4GHz | 8GB Ballistix 1333MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 760 4GB | Corsair CX600 | Win7 HP. [Need more RAM]
#29Edavy89Posted 3/27/2014 10:47:22 PM
ZeroCharge posted...
I just genuinely hate FB and most things associated with it. "Oh? What's this? This person who hated your guts and treated you like **** in Jr. High and High school wants to be my friend on FB?" Lolnope. I don't need that crap. I have my small group of good friends and that's all I need. I text them when I want to, call them when I want to, and we hang out every once in a while when they're not busy. And I'd also prefer to forget all the elitist ass-hats that treated me like a second-class citizen during my school years.

I get where you are coming from, but it seems like a lot of people make it way too black and white. I mean, i really don't get all that many faces from the past, especially ones I didn't like, that suddenly had an interest in being my friend. And everyone had their own ways and issues dealing with growing up, so i don't really hold being a jerk in middle and highschool as a very serious thing.

All that being said, facebook gets a lot of hate, and yet you have no issues being here, and gamefaqs has at least 9 different sources tracking data, yet we aren't painting them as this horrible thing that must not be named.

I think people read way too much in to the whole "facebook doesn't know what it's doing this isn't their industry, they are about social media!". That doesn't change that it is a hugely successful and profitable company. A lot of large companies buy up smaller ones that don't really apply to what they do, simply because they see a future in the technology.

The reality that people simply don't want to accept, is that having a company like facebook buy out occulus provides a huge source of funding that will likely lead to a much more solid, polished finished product. Could facebook get overly involved and botch the product? Sure, it's incredibly possible, But they just dropped a ridiculous amount of money buying out this tech, I feel like the company is smart enough to not sabotage that investment and let the people who know what they are doing control the development.

Honestly, I feel like on face-books part, that the acquisition was probably as much for the future possibilities the tech will bring as much as anything, as well as to diversify the product audience. The tech has a ton of potential for gaming, but it has just as much potential for non gaming avenues. I mean, putting on the VR and watching music videos that make you feel like you are inside the video, or like you are really at the concert?

if anything, be happy it got bought out by a company with the ridiculous resources to throw at it like facebook has. Making the product more appealing to everyone, just adds more reason to improve upon it.

Anyway, no point really jumping to conclusions either way at this point, we all have to wait and see how it turns out. Seems silly to make all these blanket judgement's and decisions at this point though.
---
www.SWGEMU.com....SUPPORT IT!
#30ShuraYukihimePosted 3/27/2014 10:49:16 PM
Don't people realize that this is how the world is going to get The Oasis from Ready Player One?
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.