This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's better: native 576p, or native 576p upscaled to 720p, on a 1080p monitor?

#1CE-libatePosted 3/27/2014 5:21:31 PM
80/80
---
http://i.imgur.com/mMhdhCF.gif
Who cares if the possibilities are endless when reality isn't?
#2WerdnAndreWPosted 3/27/2014 5:23:45 PM
576p to 1080p

No point in upscaling to 720p when the monitor will upscale that to 1080p.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#3KillerTrufflePosted 3/27/2014 5:24:09 PM
Uh, well, *technically* if you're displaying 576p on a 1080p monitor, it's being upscaled to 1080p. Only question is where the upscaling is happening - with your screen, or with your GPU.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#4ConkerPosted 3/27/2014 6:16:54 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Uh, well, *technically* if you're displaying 576p on a 1080p monitor, it's being upscaled to 1080p. Only question is where the upscaling is happening - with your screen, or with your GPU.

OR both, as would be the case with the latter part of the topic title.

An image that has a resolution of 576p being displayed at 720p on a 1080p monitor would involve both the GPU upscaling to 720p and then the monitor displaying that image to 1080p.

While if it's simply 576p upscaled to 1080p by the GPU, there's no upscaling by the monitor and it will probably look better...but will be more demanding on the GPU.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/27/2014 10:51:50 PM
I don't think standard upscaling is demanding on the GPU at all. Not enough to make a difference anyway.
As for the topic, it really depends on the filters being used, and the kind of image you're going for. If you want a soft image, and both filters are soft, then having the 720p middleground could provide a further softened image. However, for something like nearest or linear, it's best to go with a straight 576->1080p. Though, better than both is nearest 540p->1080p.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#6AsellusPosted 3/28/2014 12:08:29 AM
Neither one's a clean ratio so I'd think just run native and let it be upscaled once by your gpu / monitor rather than twice.
#7ConkerPosted 3/28/2014 7:45:13 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I don't think standard upscaling is demanding on the GPU at all. Not enough to make a difference anyway.

I think you nitpick more than you contribute to anything in most replies to me...at least this part of your post. It is still more demanding on the GPU to upscale an image over it's native resolution to meet the monitor's native resolution because it is more demanding on the GPU vs the monitor doing so. Whether it's minor or not is not what was being said.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/28/2014 9:23:48 AM
Conker posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I think you nitpick more than you contribute to anything in most replies to me...at least this part of your post. It is still more demanding on the GPU to upscale an image over it's native resolution to meet the monitor's native resolution because it is more demanding on the GPU vs the monitor doing so. Whether it's minor or not is not what was being said.

It's misleading and pointless to say, though, and may even be completely incorrect. Not sure why you have your panties in a knot over it.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#9KillerTrufflePosted 3/28/2014 9:45:45 AM
Yeah... Obviously upscaling requires *some* processes to be run by some hardware - in that case, the GPU. But I have to agree - saying that it will be "more demanding" is definitely misleading, because there is an implication that it may provide a performance hit, which is almost certainly not going to happen.

Upscaling is a pretty simple, low-cost (in terms of computing power) process. In fact, I wouldn't have used the word "demanding" at all. Upscaling is about as demanding to a GPU as gliding across the ice toward the bench is to a hockey player. Yeah, the player needs to use some of his muscles to keep from falling over, but just keeping yourself upright is effectively effortless compared to powering across the ice to shove someone into the wall.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#10popping4itPosted 3/28/2014 10:08:33 AM
native 576p, or native 576p upscaled to 720p, on a 1080p monitor?

depends how good the scaler is on your monitor generally they're horrible and some dont even like certain resolutions.

make your video driver upscale the 576 to 1080 output always.
---
whens mahvel?