This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's better: native 576p, or native 576p upscaled to 720p, on a 1080p monitor?

#31ConkerPosted 3/29/2014 12:46:30 AM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
I still have yet to see you address why, if there will be absolutely no effect on the end user, you felt that it was even relevant to the TC's question.

That's why there's an ellipsis and a "but" to indicate it's more of a side-note. Like, and it would use the GPU more for the upscaling going directly from native image res to monitor res.

It was just saying, if it's going 576p > 1080p it is using the GPU more for the scaling than if you went 576p > 720p (GPU) > 1080p (monitor) as it would be doing it all vs the alternative using the monitor.

I clarified that already actually and that it was more of an additional "but this happens as a result" rather than an important aspect of my post. I think you're too busy nitpicking other s*** though.

And in that context, more demanding on your body is, in fact, the definition you claim not to be using. Any other definition would be grammatically incorrect.

Except it's not. It is grammatically incorrect, as I corrected earlier in the topic it should have been, "demand more." Which if you know how scaling works, would be redundant, just like I said about the walking/driving example, since everyone would know walking would demand more from you over driving a car, even though it's NOT a demanding task as your definition/context is trying to argue.

It's not factually going to impact performance at all. I've been saying from the very start that modern GPUs could be scaling the image regardless. It's not unthinkable, and fits with a lot of modern pipeline nuances anyway.
And, regardless of all of that, it's still misleading to say it's more demanding on the GPU, regardless of any nitpicking you're doing, because it's never going to make a discernible impact on performance, as your post implied it would.

Mmmk, it's not going to be taxing on your GPU, glad you noticed I didn't say that! Way to be a champ and derail a topic with nitpicking. Keep on keeping on about nothing.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#32ConkerPosted 3/29/2014 12:49:51 AM
Let me ask you, is walking 5 mins demanding? Is driving a car 10 mins demanding? Neither requires skill or effort (with maybe an exception for the ridiculously obese) Is it more demanding of someone to walk 5mins versus driving 10mins? It is nitpicking to argue that it is incorrect to say, "but it is more demanding to walk" and that it means walking 5 mins is demanding on your body, because that's literally NOT what any sane person with any common sense would think.
---
#33DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/29/2014 1:03:24 AM(edited)
I don't really feel like reading through your *****rants. Did you ever address that you don't have any evidence to support that basic scaling on a modern GPU is more demanding than running native? Because it seems like you've just kept ignoring it.

That said, to address the ending of your last post, since it's convenient enough, relativity is relative.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#34ConkerPosted 3/29/2014 1:09:15 AM
So do you think it is less work to scale to a higher or lower resolution?
---
#35DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/29/2014 1:13:43 AM
So that's a no?
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#36KillerTrufflePosted 3/29/2014 1:15:43 AM
Conker posted...
So do you think it is less work to scale to a higher or lower resolution?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/51037/990674-facepalm.png
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#37ConkerPosted 3/29/2014 1:29:59 AM
If you have an image that requires scaling and output at a higher resolution, it will require more to be upscaled and displayed to an even higher resolution. I don't think anyone should require evidence of this, as it's a pretty basic concept.

Do you think scaling 480p to 4k resolutions is easier for a device to upscale properly than to 720p? The question I already asked but in different wording.

I'm not saying it's more dependent on the device vs the developer of the software doing the scaling, but it is going to require more processing from the outputting video device, even on a small scale.
---
#38KillerTrufflePosted 3/29/2014 1:36:41 AM
Dude, you just don't get it.

We're not saying it takes zero processing power to upscale, or less. We're simply saying that the fact it takes a teensy bit of additional power to upscale is completely irrelevant to the TC, and bringing it up is nothing but confusing. It's irrelevant. It didn't need to be mentioned. Friggin' A.

http://nojesguiden.se/sites/default/files/users/13478/facepalm-gif.gif
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#39ConkerPosted 3/29/2014 1:38:09 AM
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/fengwu/gpu_icip_09.pdf

Interesting read, especially sections 3 and 4.
---
#40ConkerPosted 3/29/2014 1:47:52 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Dude, you just don't get it.

We're not saying it takes zero processing power to upscale, or less. We're simply saying that the fact it takes a teensy bit of additional power to upscale is completely irrelevant to the TC, and bringing it up is nothing but confusing. It's irrelevant. It didn't need to be mentioned. Friggin' A.

http://nojesguiden.se/sites/default/files/users/13478/facepalm-gif.gif

I completely get it. Nothing needs to be mentioned in many many topics on these boards and a small addition at the end of a relevant extension of what you had previously said gets you huffing and puffing. If I wanted to post stupid-ass gifs repeatedly in this topic, you'd probably not have a problem, but that gets to you! ROFL.
---