This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This game is shaping up nicely...

#21KillerTrufflePosted 3/28/2014 10:27:53 AM
Steamster posted...
Eh, you just sound like you're tired of that particular genre, like me.

It's like racing or fighting games. If you want good ones that offer fairly deep game play and good competitive action, you tend to go towards the well made "generic" ones. If all you want is something different you end up with gimmicky novelty crap that's only entertaining for a short while because it's not built on the foundation that's been proven to work.

Sometimes the generic been-there-done-that is the best simply due to the KISS principle. It's nice to have innovation or variety, but that doesn't mean we should s*** on a potentially good game just because.

Well yes, I am tired of military shooters, but even if I wasn't, my main point still stands. Just to follow your argument, if the genre has already been perfected (as you suggest), what is the purpose of continuing to buy new iterations of the same thing? In other words, if you already have 5 different versions of the "perfection" of a genre, what's the point of buying yet another one? You're pretty much just buying the same thing repeatedly from different developers. Why should we be interested in that?

That said, this game not only seems to be generic, but also seems to be a significant step backward in terms of visuals and animation. Sure it's in progress still, but again... what about this game makes it worth buying if you already have several other examples of identical gameplay? What sets this game apart, aside from who's making it (which doesn't set it apart IMO)?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#22johnny_payPosted 3/28/2014 10:43:44 AM
the best tactical 3rd person shooter was full spectrum warrior http://youtu.be/TwQtZ5WzYH4
#23daniel79Posted 3/28/2014 10:55:27 AM
johnny_pay posted...
the best tactical 3rd person shooter was full spectrum warrior http://youtu.be/TwQtZ5WzYH4

Shut up.

..It was Hidden And Dangerous 2.
#24KillerTrufflePosted 3/28/2014 11:02:03 AM
daniel79 posted...
johnny_pay posted...

Shut up.

..It was Hidden And Dangerous 2.

Nice to see some love for H&D... I do actually have fond memories of both 1 & 2, playing them with friends. H&D1 was buggy as hell, but it was still fun overall since it was much more tactical and less run & gun tho. I still remember one specific bug in an urban level. There were train tracks in the level, and the train would come through at some point. The bug was that we would be in the middle of a courtyard surrounded by apartments, and I remember clothes lines strung overhead and stuff... and we'd hear the train coming, then suddenly we'd all be dead, even though we were nowhere near the tracks. That level was chaos trying to figure out ways to NOT die from the ghost train.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#25OreoBoy206Posted 3/28/2014 11:23:27 AM
Good article about the game below..

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/4/4490582/how-h-hour-aims-to-bring-socom-back-to-life

Looks like the game is just being made for oldschool SOCOM fans that were dying for a game similar to the original.. I'm not interested in the game my self but it's good news for SOCOM fans I guess..
#26SinisterSlayPosted 3/28/2014 11:27:31 AM
OreoBoy206 posted...
Good article about the game below..

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/4/4490582/how-h-hour-aims-to-bring-socom-back-to-life

Looks like the game is just being made for oldschool SOCOM fans that were dying for a game similar to the original.. I'm not interested in the game my self but it's good news for SOCOM fans I guess..

It is good news. I'm not a fan either but games do better when they focus on their market, instead of trying to casualize so they can target every market.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#27MELENTIA(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 1:29:34 PM
Well while it is made to be like the old games, there are plenty of enhancements being made. I really encourage you guys to check it out, it was by far the most tactical shooter I've ever played. Clan Wars were absolutely insane for it's era. 8v8, Hostage Extraction, Demolition, Suppression, etc...the game modes and strategy is something no other games bring to the table.
#28InterfusorPosted 3/28/2014 2:16:31 PM
Is Socom anything like Hidden and Dangerous?
---
I am not economically viable.
#29ArkonBladePosted 3/28/2014 2:25:36 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
What makes this game special compared to the other 5,000 military shooters out there?

This.

Doesn't look bad but it's not blowing my mind or making me feel the need to buy it any time soon.
---
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#30AnatomyHorrorPosted 3/29/2014 8:13:42 AM(edited)
Not my kind of game, but if it had mindblowing graphics people around here would be freakin out.