This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I think more games should charge for alpha access

#1turbogoonPosted 3/27/2014 6:25:13 PM
Obviously at a discounted price, but if you like it you should pay the rest to play. You get a lot of practice in the event of it being multiplayer. Single player is a lot like a rental, if it's good I wouldn't mind paying the difference for retail. Too many people complain that it's milking the consumer, when really we get a good look at their product and warn others if it's bad.
#2MonkeymagePosted 3/27/2014 6:32:48 PM
Other ways this can be achieved:

****ing demos.

Of course, developers of bad games don't WANT people to know their game is bad, that's why they want to incentivize people to buy their crappy products by offering them at a discount, knowing that there are people out there who will buy it just because of that.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#3turbogoon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 6:37:34 PM
Monkeymage posted...

****ing demos.

Of course, developers of bad games don't WANT people to know their game is bad, that's why they want to incentivize people to buy their crappy products by offering them at a discount, knowing that there are people out there who will buy it just because of that.

Demo's don't show the whole game. Look at the D3 demo, had there been early access to the whole game it wouldn't have sold 15 million copies.

Day Z is stellar and offers alpha access. Not every early access game is terrible. That's like saying reviews are put out days after release to not lower sales.
#4DRAGON07891230Posted 3/27/2014 9:19:37 PM
Monkeymage posted...

****ing demos.

It's basically this:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination

They know some people won't play full price so they claim it's a discount for early access, and those with less price sensitivity can wait for a fixed, final product that's more expensive.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#5revolverPosted 3/27/2014 9:39:48 PM
DRAGON07891230 posted...

It's basically this:

This reply doesn't even make sense. That's describing things like regional pricing and is completely irrelevant when describing early access games.
---
2500K @ 4.5 | GTX 670 | 8 GB | TX 650 | 128 GB ssd | CM 690 II
#6DRAGON07891230Posted 3/28/2014 8:39:23 AM
revolver posted...
DRAGON07891230 posted...

It's basically this:

This reply doesn't even make sense. That's describing things like regional pricing and is completely irrelevant when describing early access games.

No. Price discrimination is having different people pay different prices based off their sensitivity to price. Some people don't want to pay full price and so will purchase a buggy, unfinished, game at a cheaper price. Others want a finished game and will pay more.

It didn't apply to everyone as there are outside factors, but the concept applies.
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!
#7turbogoon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 11:27:39 AM
DRAGON07891230 posted...
revolver posted...
DRAGON07891230 posted...

It's basically this:

No. Price discrimination is having different people pay different prices based off their sensitivity to price. Some people don't want to pay full price and so will purchase a buggy, unfinished, game at a cheaper price. Others want a finished game and will pay more.

It didn't apply to everyone as there are outside factors, but the concept applies.

But see I think the difference should be that early access should be treated like an extended rental.

Early access shouldn't be a reason to get the game cheaper.
#8TheEntitledOnePosted 3/28/2014 11:34:28 AM
I agree. I can only imagine how broken BF4 was in alpha.

"LMAO, still in alpha!"
---
I got your number! I got all your numbers!
#9akuma634Posted 3/28/2014 1:42:18 PM
A demo doesn't make money. The people that put games on early access are people that need extra funding to keep the game moving along at a reasonable pace. A demo is just giving away very unpolished early gameplay for everyone to judge it harshy and probably never buy the product.
---
"Eli Roth is the worst thing to happen to horror in 20 years." - Josh Hadley on the Radiodrome podcast
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#10turbogoon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 3:20:57 PM
akuma634 posted...
A demo doesn't make money. The people that put games on early access are people that need extra funding to keep the game moving along at a reasonable pace. A demo is just giving away very unpolished early gameplay for everyone to judge it harshy and probably never buy the product.

I'm pretty sure that 99.99% of the board knows the difference between a demo and early access.