This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Odd question: If the PSU LED turns off when I plug in the MB...

#1Metroid_LoverPosted 3/27/2014 6:53:10 PM
..does it mean anything?

I noticed when I plug the power into the PSU, the little green LED turns on. But when I plug the 'P1' connection from the PSU to the motherboard, that LED on the PSU turns off and system won't post/start at all.

*When I disconnect the motherboard 'P1' connection, the LED on the PSU turns on again every time*

NOTE: This is the stock PSU/MB that came with this pre-build PC I'm having fun with...I just noticed this and was just wondering if it really means anything.

Thanks in advance!
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."
#2fataliPosted 3/27/2014 8:07:38 PM
Why the hell are you plugging/unplugging the connectors with the power supply ON???
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#3Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 8:28:37 PM(edited)
fatali posted...
Why the hell are you plugging/unplugging the connectors with the power supply ON???

Well, there isn't a switch on the PSU to turn it off/on like the PSU in my PC...and I was wondering as to why the MB wouldn't post at all, nothing happens when I try to turn it on and no way to tell if the MB was getting power at all...so that helped me visually that the PSU was getting power at least.

FYI:
The PSU and motherboard are on a large cardboard square piece, that is on a wood table, nothing else is connected to anything else at all.
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."
#4fataliPosted 3/27/2014 9:43:28 PM(edited)
Yeah.. where you place them or no switch is still not a reason to be plugging and unplugging the power supply to the motherboard when the thing is ON. You probably just ruined that system.

When there is no switch, you UNPLUG THE POWER CORD.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#5WyzeGyePosted 3/27/2014 9:56:40 PM
Is the computer system on when you're doing this? Like... Do you have the power pins on the motherboard jumpered or something?

Unless you do, I don't see the problem with this. Its possible the light turns off when a circuit is closed and its doing what its supposed to do. I've had some janky prebuilts with psus that act the same way.

Or its possible that the PSU is malfunctioning as soon as that same circuit mentioned before is completed and that's why the light turns off.

Or I may be talking out of my ass... Take your pick.
---
http://puu.sh/7Eoww/e5f7bf2a73.png
http://puu.sh/7EoG7/ff5a108d5c.png
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/27/2014 10:26:49 PM
It could be that the PSU is broken and can't even handle idle current.
It could be that the motherboard is fried, too.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#7Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 11:22:47 PM
fatali posted...
Yeah.. where you place them or no switch is still not a reason to be plugging and unplugging the power supply to the motherboard when the thing is ON. You probably just ruined that system.

When there is no switch, you UNPLUG THE POWER CORD.
I always wondered about that, do all PSUs now being made have a switch, or does it depend on brand if they have one or not?

WyzeGye posted...
Is the computer system on when you're doing this? Like... Do you have the power pins on the motherboard jumpered or something?

Unless you do, I don't see the problem with this. Its possible the light turns off when a circuit is closed and its doing what its supposed to do. I've had some janky prebuilts with psus that act the same way.

Or its possible that the PSU is malfunctioning as soon as that same circuit mentioned before is completed and that's why the light turns off.

Or I may be talking out of my ass... Take your pick.
I have only the 'P1' and '12v CPU' connection connected to the motherboard when I noticed this.
I was just testing/experimenting, I can do it since it was tossed anyway PC...got a nice HDD out of it that works just fine ;)
*Oddly, I can connect just the PSU (P1 and CPU power connection to the motherboard) and the light will turn and stay on when I flip the surge protector/power strip on....BUT the light on the PSU will turn off when I try to start the PC..I get no fan movement, no beeps nothing from the motherboard,...MB dead?*

DarkZV2Beta posted...
The PSU I'm using now is new, original PSU for this motherboard/pre-built PC that was in the trash had only a 250W PSU in it...no idea how it handled that.

The new one is a 380W..yes not very 'high', but will do for a single HDD...using integrated video and 1 CD drive..and it can boot my 2nd PCs MB just fine.

Oddly the original PSU has a 20pin P1 connection...but the MB connection was a 24....they didn't have anything plugged in the 2x2 slots that the normal 20(+4) P1 connection goes to.

Was able to get it to post once when I first found it....but didn't start the OS because...something about couldn't find a system32 driver or something, but that was it....probably why it was tossed away.

It's best to learn on stuff that is damaged or don't care about, so when you need to use that knowledge on one of your items...or an expensive item, you know what to d o/not do ;)
---
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/27/2014 11:26:05 PM
Metroid_Lover posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
The PSU I'm using now is new, original PSU for this motherboard/pre-built PC that was in the trash had only a 250W PSU in it...no idea how it handled that.

The new one is a 380W..yes not very 'high', but will do for a single HDD...using integrated video and 1 CD drive..and it can boot my 2nd PCs MB just fine.

Oddly the original PSU has a 20pin P1 connection...but the MB connection was a 24....they didn't have anything plugged in the 2x2 slots that the normal 20(+4) P1 connection goes to.

Was able to get it to post once when I first found it....but didn't start the OS because...something about couldn't find a system32 driver or something, but that was it....probably why it was tossed away.

It's best to learn on stuff that is damaged or don't care about, so when you need to use that knowledge on one of your items...or an expensive item, you know what to d o/not do ;)

yeah, that 250w PSU you threw in the trash? Was probably better than the "380w" garbage you bought to replace it. Most likely, the new PSU popped because it's a pile of crap with imitation chinese caps out of north korea.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#9WyzeGyePosted 3/27/2014 11:28:45 PM
So you're saying that you're trying the new psu on the motherboard, it works in other computer and not on the one you're tinkering with now, but it did initially?

Have you tried reseating the ram?
---
http://puu.sh/7Eoww/e5f7bf2a73.png
http://puu.sh/7EoG7/ff5a108d5c.png
#10Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 5:31:27 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
yeah, that 250w PSU you threw in the trash? Was probably better than the "380w" garbage you bought to replace it. Most likely, the new PSU popped because it's a pile of crap with imitation chinese caps out of north korea.
You misunderstand...the 250W PSU was in the tossed PC that I found (pre-built with it).
As for the 380w PSU...I got it a few years ago for something else, but didn't do that so it was sitting around not being used. I thought I’d use that to test the trashed PC to see what works and what doesn’t. Then if I keep it, I'd obviously get a new/more powered PSU.

WyzeGye posted...
So you're saying that you're trying the new psu on the motherboard, it works in other computer and not on the one you're tinkering with now, but it did initially?

Have you tried reseating the ram?
Both PSUs will boot up am old motherboard I have laying around, but since it doesn’t have a built in video port on that motherboard and I don’t' have a video card for it, so I can only see it boot up the CPU, fans and stuff.

As for the motherboard that came with the trashed PC....I can't get either of my PSUs to boot that at all, and I have it bread-boarded now.

When I first got the tossed PC, I opened it and cleared out all the dust, that's all I did and hooked it up...a pound of dust I sear was in it!
But it wouldn’t boot all the way, something about system32, so I was only able to glance at the BIOS screen....I then set the BIOS to NOT start the PC up when power is connected via PSU.
*The PC turned on when I connected the power for first time, so I knew that was a BIOS thing and I saved/restarted the PC....but I had to go somewhere, so I hit the power button to turn the PC off when it still showed the 'system32' error*
When I got back about 1 hour alter, I pushed the power button to turn it on, but nothing happen.

That's when I tried to use my new 380W PSU to power it up instead...but I noticed the light on the new PSU turned off when connecting the trashed MB or just hitting the power button in the front of the PC to turn it on.

I even took out the RAM so only the PSU and P1 power connector was connected to the trashed MB…still nothing with either PSU.
---