This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Odd question: If the PSU LED turns off when I plug in the MB...

#11DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/28/2014 6:01:21 PM
Metroid_Lover posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
yeah, that 250w PSU you threw in the trash? Was probably better than the "380w" garbage you bought to replace it. Most likely, the new PSU popped because it's a pile of crap with imitation chinese caps out of north korea.
You misunderstand...the 250W PSU was in the tossed PC that I found (pre-built with it).
As for the 380w PSU...I got it a few years ago for something else, but didn't do that so it was sitting around not being used. I thought I’d use that to test the trashed PC to see what works and what doesn’t. Then if I keep it, I'd obviously get a new/more powered PSU.

Yeah, I'd kind of figured, sans that you already had the unused firehazard lying around. OEM PSUs generally aren't fire hazards, they just can't deliver more power than the system will need. Cost cutting. It's less expensive to use a lower output unit, but if they went with a firehazard like whatever 380w you're gambling your life on, they'd have a lot of system failures just like this, which would be more expensive.
It really sounds like that junker fried the board.

Also, a system32 error is usually a harddrive problem. IE, someone deleted their system32 folder, and thought it broke their machine completely, so they tossed it out. That, or the sata controller is broked.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#12Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 8:48:33 PM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Yeah, I'd kind of figured, sans that you already had the unused firehazard lying around. OEM PSUs generally aren't fire hazards, they just can't deliver more power than the system will need. Cost cutting. It's less expensive to use a lower output unit, but if they went with a firehazard like whatever 380w you're gambling your life on, they'd have a lot of system failures just like this, which would be more expensive.

Also, a system32 error is usually a harddrive problem. IE, someone deleted their system32 folder, and thought it broke their machine completely, so they tossed it out. That, or the sata controller is broked.
I wish I took a screenshot of what it said about system32...it apparently had XP installed, but it was upgraded to Vista looks like it....o well.
The 250GB HDD works just fine, so I got a HDD out of it.

The 380W PSU is an Antec-Earthwatt [Model: EA-380D (green) ](sticker with '80+ Bronze'...whatever that means), I got it a few years ago.
I'll get my multimeter out and manually check it out...under no load and under load to see if works correctly.

I just tossed the 'tossed' PC back in the garbage with MB and PSU still in it...couldn't savage anything else from it sadly.
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."
#13DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/28/2014 9:36:19 PM
Metroid_Lover posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I wish I took a screenshot of what it said about system32...it apparently had XP installed, but it was upgraded to Vista looks like it....o well.
The 250GB HDD works just fine, so I got a HDD out of it.

The 380W PSU is an Antec-Earthwatt [Model: EA-380D (green) ](sticker with '80+ Bronze'...whatever that means), I got it a few years ago.
I'll get my multimeter out and manually check it out...under no load and under load to see if works correctly.

I just tossed the 'tossed' PC back in the garbage with MB and PSU still in it...couldn't savage anything else from it sadly.

Oh, in that case it was plugging it into the motherboard while it was on that probably did it in. EAD units are pretty solid.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross