This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Emergency help need with PC..

#1easycompany68Posted 3/27/2014 11:11:53 PM(edited)
I just finished putting together my first gaming PC with the help of a freind. He seemed kinda rushed unfortunately so we really only installed windows and I left. Im home, putting in the various drivers and then I get the blue screen, and PC shuts off. It then tries to turn back on but simply goes on and immediately off.. over and over.

I touch some wires, make sure things are pluged in. PC runs good for about 15minutes and then does it again.. and then once more about 15 mintues later.

I'm a complete noob to the techy side of things, i really can't touble shoot well enough. Im hoping someon out there through expereince can give m some suggestions.

This is my build, running smoothing at about 33degrees (idle) and MB which i assume means mother board is at 29decgrees if im reading it correctly.

-I5-4670K
-ASRock z87 extreme4
-EVGA GTX 770 overclocked (2gb)
-XFX XTR 750watt gold+ PSU
-hyper 212 evo (CPU cooler)
-8gb ram (Ripjaw or somthign link that, its the blue one)
-HAF 922 mid tower with a extra 240mm fan (so 2 x 240mm and 1 x 200mm)
-Sandisk extreme II 240gb SSD
-Asus DVD/CD

Does having 3 fans on the same plug to the PSU do any damage? Its called something "chain" i believe?

The GTX 770 has a 8pin and a 6pin pluged to the PSU. to seperage wires. AGain, one of the wires is 6+2 pin and the other is 6pin. the 6+2 goes to the 8pin into the PSU and the 6pin goes to 6pin into the PSU..

We put the thermal paste on the CPU cooler

The ram was set in the 1st and 3rd socket but as i wrote this i swtiched to the 1st and 2nd socket so we'll see if that works..

Other then that i don't know what to add..

Please, any info or ideas.. Im not going to be able to bring it to a buddy so if i cant figure it out then its gonna cost me cash to bring it to a shop...

thanks
#2WyzeGyePosted 3/27/2014 11:34:50 PM
Well, i'm stumped.

Have a bump
---
http://puu.sh/7Eoww/e5f7bf2a73.png
http://puu.sh/7EoG7/ff5a108d5c.png
#3AtheistaticPosted 3/27/2014 11:35:28 PM
Remove the video card and use the on board video connection and see if it stays on
---
There was a time when the Church ruled the world
It was called the Dark Ages
#4AtheistaticPosted 3/27/2014 11:37:52 PM
Try the ram in 2nd and 4th... Think that's usually the correct configuration for 2 sticks in 4 open slots
---
There was a time when the Church ruled the world
It was called the Dark Ages
#5YOeastonYOPosted 3/28/2014 12:19:40 AM
You do anything specific when it decides to blue screen? Strange problem. Let us know how switching to different dimm slots worked.

You mentioned chaining too. That shouldn't be an issue that would cause a blue screen. If something shorts out, the system will just shut off and not blue screen. The main problem with chaining is that a lot of molex connectors are cheap plastic that sometimes can't hold the wire pins in place worth a crap, or just have very touchy contact points.
#6SlaynPosted 3/28/2014 12:32:56 AM
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

what does it say
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#7SonyHoundDawgPosted 3/28/2014 8:20:05 AM
Theres usually places in the motherboard to plug fans into, then your bios cant control the speed. Unless maybe your using a separate fan controller or something.
#8easycompany68(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 2:29:27 PM
I just decided to bring it to a PC store. 40 bucks and they'll do a diagnostic to see if any parts are defective. At that point, if nothing is defective then I'll have to start toubleshooting 1 thing at a time. The guy there seemed to think that there probably is a hardware issue from my description but it isn't 100%..

I'll be back here on the board in 48-72 hours if theres still an issue..lol

Kinda sad, was hoping to have the PC for ESO pre release this sunday.. : (

thanks for the replys
#9robert022614Posted 3/28/2014 2:32:09 PM
I was going to say might help if you post pics of everything so we can help rule out simple stuff
#10IzicialPosted 3/28/2014 3:27:06 PM
Sounds like its probably a defective part (assuming you put it all together correctly) probably the PSU or something.