This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam machines: your reaction and would it change the PC and console industry?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam machines: your reaction and would it change the PC and console industry?
1 year ago#1
http://www.stuff.tv/steam-box/valve-steam-machine-preview/review

I am trying to get as much details as possible but so far the final look and build of the machine is not clear.
I am a console gamer but have not jumped to next gen console as there is no big difference yet between current and next gen consoles. As for PC, I always see PC gaming as a sophisticated concept with the need to stay updated and buy the latest graphics devices and so on.

So I am looking forward toward this and I know how popular Steam market is among PC gamers, so what do you think?
Can these machines produce the best technology in gaming with a decent price and yet attract gamers from both worlds? Or is it too early to predict?
---
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers" Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
1 year ago#2
Few people on this board would actually buy a steam machine.

But I'd probably recommend them to friends.

I might even buy them as low cost workstations and install Windows on them as they are very good home media centre machines.

The most significant part of steam machine is to actually have a gaming machine brand.

Everyone (here) knows that a gaming prebuilt is just a rip off. And we tell people that. Computer illiterate types ask us to make these decisions and we tell them to avoid those machines.

But if successful, we could now say steam machine are actual prebuilt gaming machines, and not just rip offs.

And to your last comment, you don't actually have to upgrade constantly unless your always trying to get max graphics and 60fps. If your fine with reduced performance you can use older hardware.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
1 year ago#3
I think steam machines could be a simple, easy way for console peasants to get into PC gaming.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
1 year ago#4
If they brand it and market it correctly it could shake up the industry a bit. So far they haven't been doing that, though. PC gamers aren't going to be the main consumers of Steam machines since we already have gaming rigs.

They need to focus on console gamers and they also need to simplify exactly what a Steam machine is. It should have a recognizable name, logo, shape, etc. Something that you can look at and say "that's a Steam machine". Last I heard they had like 200 different variants from all different manufacturers which is exactly what console gamers aren't interested in. They don't want to have to sift through comparisons of dozens of different builds.

They need to take a cue from Sony and MS and maybe have 2 or 3 different versions but have them all look basically the same and the differences between them should fit nicely in a short bullet list so the layman doesn't have to do tons of research to figure out what he's buying.
---
The SilentCaay Channel - www.youtube.com/user/silentcaay
Competitive gaming featuring APB: Reloaded, Hearthstone and others.
1 year ago#5
I agree with Rick. Steambox is basically just another pre-built PC without Windows, which makes it both redundant and pointless.

What they should have done is created a simple entertainment/multimedia center. The PS3/X360 became that years ago, and the new gen is building on that idea. Lots of people, like my parents, bought a PS3 in large part because it played Blurays, for example. The Steambox really has no market. It's not a more powerful console that is competitively priced, it's not a cheaper high quality PC for your living room. What is it, really?

It's more an enigma than anything else, poorly conceived and poorly placed in the market. There really is no reason to buy one.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Steam machines: your reaction and would it change the PC and console industry?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived